Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, took a trip to the LFS today. Talked to them, told them what your alls advice was. We kind of think we need to add another agressive tang and also more than two fish at once.

So, it seems i will need to complete my ideal fish combo at all once.

They have a medium large powder blue that was bossing other fish around and a large juvinile emporer angel.

So, qt those guys and then add them plus my scopas and my majestic angel. So four fish at once.

The complete stock list will then be (in size order).
1. Desjardini
2. Blonde naso
3. Foxface
4. Powder blue
5. Achilies
6. Scopas
7. Percula clown
8. Black clown
9. School of 11 lyretails
10. Melanarus wrasse
11. Red tailed tamaran wrasse
12. Flame hawk
13. Yellow watchman goby
14. Tail spot blenny

I figure that is enough fish for a 55 gallon :)

Just kidding... i have a 6x3x24" rimless, sps dominated, minimal rockwork.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, read through a lot of this post but couldn't find much info on mixing Ctenochaetus species. I currently have a yellow eye kole in my 90 and really like the look of chevron tangs too for when I upgrade later this year.

What are my chances of these 2 bristletooths playing nice in a 280 (96x24x28)?
I'm also planning on adding a few more tangs from other genera but no sure which yet.

Thanks

Nick

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, read through a lot of this post but couldn't find much info on mixing Ctenochaetus species. I currently have a yellow eye kole in my 90 and really like the look of chevron tangs too for when I upgrade later this year.

I'm also planning on adding a few more tangs from other genera but no sure which yet.

Thanks

Nick
Definitely wait until your upgrade. Mixing bristleooth is difficult to gauge — not necessarily much of a risk, however. There is a lot of species variation. I would say most of the time if added with other tangs you’ll be fine. I have kept Kole and Chevron together a lot, over the years. Typically, they’re not as aggressive as their tang cousins from over genus.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely wait until your upgrade. Mixing bristleooth is difficult to gauge — not necessarily much of a risk, however. There is a lot of species variation. I would say most of the time if added with other tangs you’ll be fine. I have kept Kole and Chevron together a lot, over the years. Typically, they’re not as aggressive as their tang cousins from over genus.

Thanks, I will 100% be waiting until I upgrade. Will likely purchase and QT the chevron for a month and then put them both in to the 280 at the same time. Would it be safest to also add the other tangs I plan on keeping at the same time too? I'm not 100% sure on species yet but i'm leaning towards an atlantic blue, thompsons and possibly a third Acanthurus species (bahianus maybe if I can get one, not much info around on these and I have never seen one in person but they look cool).

They would be kept with a variety of small fish including hopefully a mix of dwarf angels, I have a biota coral beauty and cb flame angel at the moment and plan to grab whatever other cb centropgye species become available in the future. I am mindful that if I frontload the tank with tangs it may be tricky adding other grazers such as angels afterwards, i'd be interested to get your thoughts on this as the angels do form a big part of my stocking plan.

Thanks

Nick

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will 100% be waiting until I upgrade. Will likely purchase and QT the chevron for a month and then put them both in to the 280 at the same time. Would it be safest to also add the other tangs I plan on keeping at the same time too? I'm not 100% sure on species yet but i'm leaning towards an atlantic blue, thompsons and possibly a third Acanthurus species (bahianus maybe if I can get one, not much info around on these and I have never seen one in person but they look cool).

They would be kept with a variety of small fish including hopefully a mix of dwarf angels, I have a biota coral beauty and cb flame angel at the moment and plan to grab whatever other cb centropgye species become available in the future. I am mindful that if I frontload the tank with tangs it may be tricky adding other grazers such as angels afterwards, i'd be interested to get your thoughts on this as the angels do form a big part of my stocking plan.

Thanks

Nick
I think you will be fine. Angels can hide in the rocks and go undetected often by a tank full of tangs. Add the centropyge concurrently as well.

I think your mix may work. See them before you buy as many aren’t as handsome as photos, particularly larger and less common acanthurus— much variance among species.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks

Nick

General rule is do not mix tangs of the same species and sometimes same body shape.

As far as the Chevron tang goes it is going to be hard to get since it mainly came from Hawaii, it even has Hawaii in its name.. It will still be found but prices are rising because now it will most likely only come from Christmas island. I do not see this tang getting ridiculous in price because they are mainly attractive as a juvenile, as a adult the get mainly big and brown.

Actup85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky my powder blue and fox face are best friends and swim around the tank with each other grazing on alage .Good thread btw.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule is do not mix tangs of the same species and sometimes same body shape.

As far as the Chevron tang goes it is going to be hard to get since it mainly came from Hawaii, it even has Hawaii in its name.. It will still be found but prices are rising because now it will most likely only come from Christmas island. I do not see this tang getting ridiculous in price because they are mainly attractive as a juvenile, as a adult the get mainly big and brown.
Thanks, yeah they are around £180 here at the moment I believe and likely to rise. I really like the subtle pinstripe look of the adults tbh

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, yeah they are around £180 here at the moment I believe and likely to rise. I really like the subtle pinstripe look of the adults tbh

I kind of do too..

Each tang is different too.. I had kole that was out right mean. He used to pick on my clarkii clowns. Killed several fish, He would kill most new fish I added. One day I added a power brown and the powder brown took on the role and killed some other tangs so I had to remove. Tangs are just Jerks.

Personally I do not see the attraction to them. I have never seen a fish so susceptible to ich and other diseases and they are mean\bully animals. Unless keeping one it just aint worth it to me. I do have two I hope get along because I am shutting down a tank or two and combining some for my aquaculture build.

Last edited:

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small Tonomi Tang to my Kole tang in my 210g and there was some bullying for the 1st day or so but afterwards all were okay. Funny thing was my Powder Blue, Purple Tang, Sailfin, Hippo, and Two yellow tangs mostly ignored the Tonomi when added as did my Vlamingi tang. None of my angels bothered him either. Success after day 4 and now they hang out together without a problem so you're Chevron probably will be the same.

You just never know with Tangs...I tried to sneak another Purple Tang and a yellow tang in there cause LA had a killer sale about a month ago and neither made it. My large purple tang when bananas over the new purple addition...he actually turned pale purple while he was in there and both new additions were dead within 72hrs! :( Then order resumed...no other tang wars. My current Tang set up is pushing the limits I agree but added them in a planned order with aggression taken into account and genus to avoid issues and has worked so far but as the last episode shows I am probably done with Tang stocking unless I get a much larger tank.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading about minimum tank size for different tangs, with 6 feet long being mentioned a lot. my tank is only 5 feet by 26 wide by 24 deep. I think it holds about 160 gallons and the rock scape has plenty of room to swim around, over and behind. How much can I bend the rules on this 6 feet with 1 or possibly 2 tangs? Thanks in advance for any advice.
img_0652-jpg.800020

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading about minimum tank size for different tangs, with 6 feet long being mentioned a lot. my tank is only 5 feet by 26 wide by 24 deep. I think it holds about 160 gallons and the rock scape has plenty of room to swim around, over and behind. How much can I bend the rules on this 6 feet with 1 or possibly 2 tangs? Thanks in advance for any advice.
img_0652-jpg.800020

I think you are good to get a couple. What type are you wanting?

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good to get a couple. What type are you wanting?
My son really wants a naso. i understand they get big. Really haven't decided on the other. i like the purple but they are aggressive. If it was just me a couple of the really small ones. But I'm just the co manager.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about having the following in a 250 gallon:

3 Yellow
1 Naso
1 PBT

Can this group get along in this size tank? Is there an order I should add them in or just add them all at the same time? Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs are and can be Je*ks. They are dominant, territorial and gluts.
I am somewhat lucky as the yellows are the main je*ks in my system.
360kkk.png

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about having the following in a 250 gallon:

3 Yellow
1 Naso
1 PBT

Can this group get along in this size tank? Is there an order I should add them in or just add them all at the same time? Thanks.
I've got a 210 with the following:
1 Powder Blue
1 Purple Tang
1 Sailfin
1 Hippo
2 Yellow tangs
1 Kole
1 Tonomi
1 Vlamingi

So yeah if done the right way I think you can! :) Mine get along fine as stated earlier.

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a dussumieri tang? Has anyone ever kept one? I am upgrading from a 125 to a 210 next week and I'd love to add one along with a naso. Currently have a desjardini. I would add all 3 at the same time. My LFS has one that they've had for a month that's about 4 inches and fat and happy. If the dussumieri tang will be too big what other tangs would be a fit with the naso and desjardini?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@3FordFamily I am looking for a tang for my tank. I was leaning towards a purple tang but your ranking of the aggression level being so high has me questioning this. If you wouldn't recommend a purple then what would be some better options. Tank info
125 gallon 72x18
Mixed reef
2 clowns
Firefish
4 dispar Anthias
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma
Also going to add a couple of wrasses
Don’t do it, purple tangs are Satan reborn, at least mine is. But I enjoy the craziness in the tank. All my fish are on the aggressive side so I works out.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a dussumieri tang? Has anyone ever kept one? I am upgrading from a 125 to a 210 next week and I'd love to add one along with a naso. Currently have a desjardini. I would add all 3 at the same time. My LFS has one that they've had for a month that's about 4 inches and fat and happy. If the dussumieri tang will be too big what other tangs would be a fit with the naso and desjardini?
IMO Dussumeri need an 8 foot tank due to their massive max size and fast growth.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back