tang attacking new fish

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3" Scopas tang and I just introduced a 2" latticed butterfly fish yesterday and the tang started chasing him arround right away being very teritorial which he has never done with the other fish. I was told to put a mirror on front of the tank to distract the tang which I did and that is not doing anything. I dont want my tang to kill my butterfly fish any ideas?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3" Scopas tang and I just introduced a 2" latticed butterfly fish yesterday and the tang started chasing him arround right away being very teritorial which he has never done with the other fish. I was told to put a mirror on front of the tank to distract the tang which I did and that is not doing anything. I dont want my tang to kill my butterfly fish any ideas?
Tangs are tangs and are hard to predict. Do you have an acclimation box to put the new fish in?

Also, below is a great thread that can help.

If your tank is small, then it will never work.:(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Catch the tang and put in time out.
2. Re-arrange rock work.
3. Get rid of Tang.

Is your tank the 38g one? It may be impossible to keep both as the Tang doesn't feel like it has enough territory and they are aggressive, more so to similarly shaped fish.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I do not. i can try and locate one locally if that will help.
I looked at your build thread and see the tank is small. You can try it, but as the Tang gets bigger it will get nastier in a small tank as it will naturally protect more areas for it to graze. I am sorry, but I would recommend getting rid of the tang, and open up the space for the Butterfly fish.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Catch the tang and put in time out.
2. Re-arrange rock work.
3. Get rid of Tang.

Is your tank the 38g one? It may be impossible to keep both as the Tang doesn't feel like it has enough territory and they are aggressive, more so to similarly shaped fish.
correct it is 38 gallons. how big would i need to go to have enough room for the 4 fish? i also have 2 clown fish

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct it is 38 gallons. how big would i need to go to have enough room for the 4 fish? i also have 2 clown fish

75g/90g would be my minimum with it being 4 foot long. Avoid cubes. More peaceful fish like the butterfly need to go in first with aggressive fish like the Tang last. Smaller fish are much easier fillers to add. Blennies, gobies, wrasse, bassets, etc.

Some people would like to see them in a 5-6 foot tank which is indeed easier.

There is never a guarantee, you could upgrade and still have a relentless Tang. However, a small tank is almost certainly going to have problems now or later with multiple larger fish. Remember these fish come from the ocean and are used to having a lot more territory and grazing area.

Larger set ups cost more $$$, so if money is an issue. I would just return the butterfly or both fish since the tank is pretty small for either.

Last edited:

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a net try to scare the scopas into his night spot then leave the net in the tank close to him. Im sure his attention will quickly be focused elsewhere.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the tang out, you will have to eventually anyways, scopas can grow to 10 inches and it needs at least a 5-6 ft tank. Get a smaller tang species if you have to have a tang in your 38g.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the tang out, you will have to eventually anyways, scopas can grow to 10 inches and it needs at least a 5-6 ft tank. Get a smaller tang species if you have to have a tang in your 38g.
my reserach showed as well as the LFS that sold the tang to me that max size for a scopas is 8" but most dont make it past 6" in captivity is what they said. i do want to get a bigger tank though to help him.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g/90g would be my minimum with it being 4 foot long. Avoid cubes. More peaceful fish like the butterfly need to go in first with aggressive fish like the Tang last. Smaller fish are much easier fillers to add. Blennies, gobies, wrasse, bassets, etc.

Some people would like to see them in a 5-6 foot tank which is indeed easier.

There is never a guarantee, you could upgrade and still have a relentless Tang. However, a small tank is almost certainly going to have problems now or later with multiple larger fish. Remember these fish come from the ocean and are used to having a lot more territory and grazing area.

Larger set ups cost more $$$, so if money is an issue. I would just return the butterfly or both fish since the tank is pretty small for either.
i will do your first and second idea then if neither work i will get a new larger tank and as a last resort i will get rid of my scopas as the butterfly is one i have wanted for a while more than the tang.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will do your first and second idea then if neither work i will get a new larger tank and as a last resort i will get rid of my scopas as the butterfly is one i have wanted for a while more than the tang.
I hate for you to have to get rid of a tang, as I do love them and have 6 in my tank currently. If possible, and in the budget, I would look at getting a bigger tank. I will always say every single reefer should own a tang.;):cool::)

Just look at my Avatar...LOL!!!;Hilarious

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate for you to have to get rid of a tang, as I do live them and have 6 in my tank currently. If possible, and in the budget, I would look at getting a bigger tank. I will always say every single reefer should own a tang.;):cool::)

i really want a tang but the one i want is an orange shoulder tang which i saw snorkeling in Hawaii so has a special place in my memories but i need a 200 gallon or larger tank for themcause they get so big. maybe someday but not yet thats why i got the scopas since they dont get as big but i will get rid of him as a last resort.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With butterflyfish being almost defenceless (I had a 2” scopas murder a 3” CBB) I think you have to get rid of one or the other.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate for you to have to get rid of a tang, as I do love them and have 6 in my tank currently. If possible, and in the budget, I would look at getting a bigger tank. I will always say every single reefer should own a tang.;):cool::)

My yellow tang is boring :p Every reefer should have a butterfly! :D

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang is boring :p Every reefer should have a butterfly! :D
Several years ago I actually had one shipped to me by accident. It was beautiful, but, I will had to get rid of it because it was not on the list for fish in my tank...UGH!!! Such a beautiful fish.

NOW, in my current tank, I may think twice...LOL!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I actually had one shipped to me by accident. It was beautiful, but, I will had to get rid of it because it was not on the list for fish in my tank...UGH!!! Such a beautiful fish.

NOW, in my current tank, I may think twice...LOL!!!

My copperband sees me and be like...

cat shaq GIF

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put my scopas in a time out to give my butterfly some time to relax. i also redid the rock work for everything to make 2 caves 1 being for each fish. how long should i leave him in time out? it was a nightmare to catch him so i will not be able to catch him again. my smallest clown while taking out the rocks got scared and swam head first into a small crack in a rock and got stuck. i had to tweezer him out and then as a thank you he decided to bite me. so not doing that whole thing again is the point.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put my scopas in a time out to give my butterfly some time to relax. i also redid the rock work for everything to make 2 caves 1 being for each fish. how long should i leave him in time out? it was a nightmare to catch him so i will not be able to catch him again. my smallest clown while taking out the rocks got scared and swam head first into a small crack in a rock and got stuck. i had to tweezer him out and then as a thank you he decided to bite me. so not doing that whole thing again is the point.

A week perhaps. Keep in mind the tank is small so this is not likely to work long term as Tangs get meaner with age. So you will have to catch the Tang again to save the butterfly.

You should consider returning the Tang while you have it caught to save the headache since you have wanted the butterfly for so long.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back