OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week perhaps. Keep in mind the tank is small so this is not likely to work long term as Tangs get meaner with age. So you will have to catch the Tang again to save the butterfly.

You should consider returning the Tang while you have it caught to save the headache since you have wanted the butterfly for so long.
i still need a tang in some fashion to clean up my algea problem which is why i got him in the first place. him my 3 snails and 2 urchens seem to be fighting it back but it is not gone yet. my next step is to find a used 80-120 gallon tank and last resort is to trade him with the LFS for credit.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still need a tang in some fashion to clean up my algea problem which is why i got him in the first place. him my 3 snails and 2 urchens seem to be fighting it back but it is not gone yet. my next step is to find a used 80-120 gallon tank and last resort is to trade him with the LFS for credit.
A more peaceful tang (Although - Many will hate me for this suggestion) is the convict. Wait before you attack me for this. These tangs have almost 0 way to attack other fish, if you can get into Thats below 2” then you have time for a 4’ tank (Yes they need Atleast 5’ by the end of it) they do a great job and IMO are underrated. Any algae Blenny will do the same job a scopas tangs too and stay smaller!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scopus really don't need much room, I had one fully grown, they really don't zoomy around the tank like other tangs do. He's aggresive right now because theres a new dude in his territory, put a piece of plexi in the tank to cut it in half for a week or 2, until they get used to each other

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tangs are not needed for algae. People don’t keep tangs in a nano for algae… some don’t even keep them in big tanks for algae. They poop a lot so they can eat it but then also fertilize it.

3 snails isn’t enough. You need like 20 good ones (I like trochus) and perhaps some algae eating crabs. They also have algae eating bennies. Lawnmowers and such.

You just added another large bioload fish, the butterfly to a small tank. Keeping large fish in a small tank isn’t the right choice for combating algae.

If you look at the tanks on nano-reef.com. There are so many beautiful TOTM tanks and you would be hard pressed to find tangs in many/any of them.

If they start fighting again. You just have to choose which fish is more important to you. Before you said you wanted the butterfly more which is why I suggested to return the Tang if nothing you try works.

Keeping fish under stressful conditions can lead to disease and the loss of some or even all Inhabitants as their immune system goes down under stress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are not needed for algae. People don’t keep tangs in a nano for algae… some don’t even keep them in big tanks for algae. They poop a lot so they can eat it but then also fertilize it.

3 snails isn’t enough. You need like 20 good ones (I like trochus) and perhaps some algae eating crabs.

You just added another large bioload fish, the butterfly to a small tank. Keeping large fish in a small tank isn’t the right choice for combating algae.

If you look at the tanks on nano-reef.com. There are so many beautiful TOTM tanks and you would be hard pressed to find tangs in many/any of them.

If they start fighting again. You just have to choose which fish is more important to you. Before you said you wanted the butterfly more.
yep so if they start fighting again after his week long time out than yes i am choosing the butterfly. but i will get more snails the 3 i have are medium sized astrea. what crabs will eat algea that has settled down to the bottom? i have 3 blue leg hermits already

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep so if they start fighting again after his week long time out than yes i am choosing the butterfly. but i will get more snails the 3 i have are medium sized astrea. what crabs will eat algea that has settled down to the bottom? i have 3 blue leg hermits already

Emerald crabs love algae. A fighting conch snail will clean the sand.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I am trying to be mean. Just laying out the facts as I know them so you can find success with your tank in general.

If it doesn’t have coral. You can also turn the lights off for awhile to help the algae die back and keep up on water changes to remove the nutrients released by dying algae and suck out debris.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scopus really don't need much room, I had one fully grown, they really don't zoomy around the tank like other tangs do. He's aggresive right now because theres a new dude in his territory, put a piece of plexi in the tank to cut it in half for a week or 2, until they get used to each other
Mine was the opposite in my 3’x2.5’x2’ tank, He used it all, also VERY aggressive behaviour - By far the worst aggression in the whole genus IME.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I am trying to be mean. Just laying out the facts as I know them so you can find success with your tank in general.

If it doesn’t have coral. You can also turn the lights off for awhile to help the algae die back and keep up on water changes to remove the nutrients released by dying algae and suck out debris.
i know your not i dont have coral right now and actually had the lights off for the last 3 weeks which has helped but not there yet. i have a hob skimmer, and a hob fuge for nutrient removal and do anywhere from 5-10 gallon water changes every week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not uncommon behavior and generally calms down in 2-4 days
You can either turn lights off in which it will hide OR place a mirror in an area it frequents and it will focus its attention on the new IMAGINARY scopes and leave the others alone

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not uncommon behavior and generally calms down in 2-4 days
You can either turn lights off in which it will hide OR place a mirror in an area it frequents and it will focus its attention on the new IMAGINARY scopes and leave the others alone
lights have been off for 3 weeks due to algea. did the mirror thing with a full sized mirror i took off the wall and that didnt seem to do anything.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lights have been off for 3 weeks due to algea. did the mirror thing with a full sized mirror i took off the wall and that didnt seem to do anything.
Plan C = acclimation box for 10-14 days

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is what he is trying now + re-arranging rockwork but keep in mind his tank is 38g so there is extra challenge.
It will consume a corner area but not bad being a 30” tank

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can, ideally something that can work well is taking him out, rea arranging the rock work for new territory spots, and keep him in a breeder box for a few days with the other fish free swimming so that they can mark their territory - kali

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back