Tang - bacterial infection?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband picked up a mimic tang and it's a little roughed up. I think he's testing my skills [emoji31]I'm planning to treat with kanaplex and metro starting tonight, and grab the Furan-2.

Does the metro need dosed directly to the water or is feeding ok? Would you recommend any type of antiseptic bath? I have methylene blue and rally on hand.

Oh, pics to come.

Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the shape he's in the rally bath might be helpful. I would start with kanaplex and add the others in if you don't start seeing results.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92fcf2da08ecbc41ea3d2cba6812ef3f.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the rally bath will help - it's an antiseptic. Then dosing the kanaplex for now and adding in the furan2 when you get it is a good plan. Dose both every 48 hours right after a water change. The metroplex can be added to the previous two to widen the spectrum just a bit more.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the rally bath will help - it's an antiseptic. Then dosing the kanaplex for now and adding in the furan2 when you get it is a good plan. Dose both every 48 hours right after a water change. The metroplex can be added to the previous two to widen the spectrum just a bit more.

In the bath now, I already have the water prepped with kanaplex. Should I try to feed a little metroplex food (I have some pre-made) or dose the water directly?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the bath now, I already have the water prepped with kanaplex. Should I try to feed a little metroplex food (I have some pre-made) or dose the water directly?
Dosing the water directly will help with exterior infections. If the issue was internal, feeding would be more effective.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Tangs in QT had the exact same black stuff on him. One does of Metro and Kanaplex and it's gone.

Good to know, if he looks dramatically better with just the kanaplex/metro I might just skip the f-2. I'll grab some anyway so I have it.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few more pictures. It's really hard to pick up on my iPhone camera with his bright yellow. I'm
ffcdd766da61b3e1566f622b45c0c187.jpg
eb35bcf1556b4b203e18d144ed74a0a1.jpg

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty rough still, but he made it through the night and ate a bit of vitamin-soaked mysis. I think he has a good chance at recovery. Thank you @melypr1986 and @4FordFamily for your help!

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, he's flashing a bit. I'd like to treat him with prazi once he gets a good day or two of eating. Can I treat with prazi during the antibiotics? Alternately, if he starts showing signs of ich or velvet can he be treated with copper while getting antibiotics (no prazi in this case). Just trying to make sure I'm clear on what meds can be used together. Also, keeping in mind he has some open sores.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, he's flashing a bit. I'd like to treat him with prazi once he gets a good day or two of eating. Can I treat with prazi during the antibiotics? Alternately, if he starts showing signs of ich or velvet can he be treated with copper while getting antibiotics (no prazi in this case). Just trying to make sure I'm clear on what meds can be used together. Also, keeping in mind he has some open sores.

Yes you can run copper while doing antibiotics. I would hold off on the prazi though until the antibiotics are done. If you want to confirm/rule out flukes at this point then you can do a freshwater dip on him. That would at least give you some information to base the next move on.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can run copper while doing antibiotics. I would hold off on the prazi though until the antibiotics are done. If you want to confirm/rule out flukes at this point then you can do a freshwater dip on him. That would at least give you some information to base the next move on.

Ok, I knew prazi was a little iffy. Since he's already sick/stressed I think I'll just hold with antibiotics and observation for now and give him some time to eat and heal. If he develops spots or other symptoms of distress I'll worry about ruling out flukes and/or starting copper. Thanks again! You guys are better than an on-call vet [emoji38]

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abrasions are looking better, but some of them look to be breaking out with lympho. I'm guessing from the combo of stress/antibiotics.

He's still eating like a champ, but the flashing has gotten a bit worse. I think I might go ahead and fw dip to see if it's flukes. If so hopefully I can knock off enough to get him through the antibiotics. If no flukes are present, I may start adding copper.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip confirmed flukes, loads of them. No spots or symptoms of velvet so I'm fairly certain the flukes were causing the flashing. @melypr1985 @Humblefish would you still suggest holding prazi until after antibiotics are completed?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip confirmed flukes, loads of them. No spots or symptoms of velvet so I'm fairly certain the flukes were causing the flashing. @melypr1985 @Humblefish would you still suggest holding prazi until after antibiotics are completed?

Yes, take a break from the antibiotics so you can dose Prazipro. It is too risky to combine them.

24 hrs after Prazipro has been dosed, do a large WC and resume antibiotic treatment. In 5-7 days you will need to dose Prazipro again.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, take a break from the antibiotics so you can dose Prazipro. It is too risky to combine them.

24 hrs after Prazipro has been dosed, do a large WC and resume antibiotic treatment. In 5-7 days you will need to dose Prazipro again.

Ok, thank you!

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so first prazi dose is done. Let it run 24 hours, did a water change/ran carbon, and then resumed the kanaplex/metroplex treatment last night. Flashing has stopped, color is looking better, lymphocystis cleared up, and the abrasion on the right side of its head is healed. Still some of those funky black marks from the original picture on his right side (maybe a pigment thing? Not sure) and a new development is a small laceration on his left gill area that looks sort of brown and fuzzy?

Could it be bacterial, maybe an infected fluke bite?(was loaded with them) or maybe it's fungal? I was debating another bath, maybe methylene blue, if it might be a fungal infection. Also might go ahead and add furan-2 to the antibiotics mix to see if that helps. Any ideas?
0ea47ac88afb26ae7451fe7cfc90c226.jpg

I should add that it does look slightly better after resuming medication last night.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be bacterial, maybe an infected fluke bite?(was loaded with them) or maybe it's fungal? I was debating another bath, maybe methylene blue, if it might be a fungal infection. Also might go ahead and add furan-2 to the antibiotics mix to see if that helps. Any ideas?

Fungus is almost unheard of in SW fish. Most likely the "funky black marks" are secondary infections developing from where the flukes had left bite marks.

Although, I'm just now realizing that is a (juvenile) Chocolate Tang and the body color will darken as he matures. :eek:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back