Tang comparability and order to add advise needed

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow tang and a blue tang that I’ve had for about 2 1/2 years. Both were purchased very small and are healthy model citizens that have never shown any aggression whatsoever. I’m about to upgrade tanks and would like to get some thoughts on new tank mates, what works, and what order to add them.

I’m going to be going up about three times the size of tank so I’m afraid to add anything new in day 1 as I fear I may still have a mini cycle so I think it may make sense to at least wait a few weeks at a minimum.

The tangs I’d ultimately like to consider adding are Chevron, Naso, and Kole.

(I like the purple tang as well, but worry it won’t work)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general the tangs you listed should be compatible. The only close cousins would be chevron and Kole. Keep in mind all the Naso spp get really big.

What is the tank size?

Are the yellow and blue adult size?

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The naso fell off my radar for a while and forgot they got that big. Guess he’s not suitable.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and welcome to R2R!

I have all the Tangs you mention and they all get along fine.

The Naso Tangs do get big, and personally I haven’t had much look keeping them and have just lost the most recent addition after about 6 months and in view of the potential growth it might be a bad idea

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general the tangs you listed should be compatible. The only close cousins would be chevron and Kole. Keep in mind all the Naso spp get really big.

What is the tank size?

Are the yellow and blue adult size?

Not sure. They’re both about 2 1/2 years old. The blue is about 6” and yellow a little smaller.

Would you guys advise the Kole or Chevron first? And am I better of going with younger/smaller ones?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.

I would for sure skip the Naso. It sounds like you are okay with that.

A purple and yellow may be possible, but it will be a risk.

My recommendation would be to pick one of the bristles. I would do the Kole. That would give you three tangs, in three different genera. Then fill out the tank with other fishes: clowns, dwarf angel, hawkfish, dottyback, wrasses, etc.

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Timing question-

I know I may likely experience a mini cycle in this upgrade (using new sand, my old rock, and about 1/4 of the tank will have my old water). That said, much of the long term comparability success is around timing the introduction. As the tank is all new to everyone, does it make sense for me to add the new tank on day 1? I guess this comes down to do I subject the new tang to the stress of my tank upgrade? Or the stress of territory issues?

Curious everyone’s thoughts?

molinast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, sail fin, scopas, purple, convict, and white cheek in a 90 gallon. I’ve read the posts about there aggression toward one another and have seen it first hand.

My advice is to put in the ones you want all at the same time with your current tangs. This would provide equal opportunity at the fight for hierarchy. Second and prob most crucial feed at minimum twice a day. The main reason they are aggressive to the point of death is territory/food.

Lastly when setting up your new tank make sure you give them space to run up,down, through and around. I can’t tell you how many times my scopas has escaped harresment through some fancy swimming.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would any new tangs at the same time that you transfer the old ones.

You *shouldn't* get much, if any, of a cycle since you are using the old rock and not adding much bioload. Watch ammonia though.

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think that as well. Only issue now is I can’t decide which one to get.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two established tangs, a Blue Regal and a Yellow Eye Kole Tang in a 220 gallon display tank. Though this tank had had it's problems, it had been running for about 18 months, with maybe half that time being filled with some number of fish. The Blue and Kole Tang have only been residents since late September. About 2 weeks ago, I added quite a few fish which included a Moorish Idol and a Blonde Naso. Since I also added another 9 fish not mentioned here I added half a bottle of Bio Spira just in case.

Fast forward now...

Just last night, I added three
Acanthurus Tangs and other than a little initial aggression, the tank seems fine.

@4FordFamily, has a thread on here about dealing with tangs and has provided me with great info to reference with introduction order and quantity.

I say add the group you want all at once and enjoy.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow tang and a blue tang that I’ve had for about 2 1/2 years. Both were purchased very small and are healthy model citizens that have never shown any aggression whatsoever. I’m about to upgrade tanks and would like to get some thoughts on new tank mates, what works, and what order to add them.

I’m going to be going up about three times the size of tank so I’m afraid to add anything new in day 1 as I fear I may still have a mini cycle so I think it may make sense to at least wait a few weeks at a minimum.

The tangs I’d ultimately like to consider adding are Chevron, Naso, and Kole.

(I like the purple tang as well, but worry it won’t work)

I would definitely skip the Purple Tang with a Yellow. 2 Zebrasoma with big attitudes even in a 170 is not a good idea. Of the bunch the Kole would be the most neutral/safest add IMHO. They tend to have better temperaments as far as tangs go and are different enough from the other two that it shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
R

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one that I love is the clown tang, but I’ve read mixed reviews for tank size. 100-250g. What do you guys think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back