Tang Experts needed!

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope yal are having an awesome day. I had a quick question that hopefully the tang experts can chime in on.
I currently have a foxface, tomini tang, blue hippo tang, orange shoulder tang, and a gold rim tang in my 200 gallon FOWLR .. I plan to add coral in the near future. My question is how probable would it be for me to add a chocolate tang as my final fish? The largest currently is my foxface at 5 inches. No aggression between any fish so far... Thank you for your time

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How long have the tangs been in your tank? It's always a risk adding another tang to be honest, even though they may not show aggression they are still territorial. Best of luck :) Sounds like an awesome tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the tangs been in your tank? It's always a risk adding another tang to be honest, even though they may not show aggression they are still territorial. Best of luck :) Sounds like an awesome tank
The tomini has been there for a few months.. I just added blue hippo at 1 inch..gold rim at 3 1/2. And orange shoulder at 4 inches. At the same time..they all QTed together minus the tomini.. there was minor aggression btw the orange and gold rim in the first week because they were sharing a 55 gallon. But I moved all 3 of them to my 200 with tomini and he accepted them and they are all happy. Blue hippo so small they don't even look at him..this 200 was setup 2months ago and I just added them 2 weeks ago

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always try to variate body shape as well - that tends to reduce aggression. Pelagic swimmers/slow grazers/ fast vs slow all help.
Okay thank you.. so with my list having 4 acanthurus even though they are all small still will most likely lead to problems if I add more. This is a tough pill to swallow lol

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope yal are having an awesome day. I had a quick question that hopefully the tang experts can chime in on.
I currently have a foxface, tomini tang, blue hippo tang, orange shoulder tang, and a gold rim tang in my 200 gallon FOWLR .. I plan to add coral in the near future. My question is how probable would it be for me to add a chocolate tang as my final fish? The largest currently is my foxface at 5 inches. No aggression between any fish so far... Thank you for your time
5 tangs in a 6’ tank as others have said will likely push your limit.
It will also likely fail as you want to introduce an Acanthurus to 2 already established Acanthurus species. Whilst both species are more mellow in terms of that genus and aggression, you’ll likely find both will become more nasty to another oval shaped tang.
The olivasceus may show the most aggression as he has the same body and fin shape.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will also likely fail as you want to introduce an Acanthurus to 2 already established Acanthurus species. Whilst both species are more mellow in terms of that genus and aggression, you’ll likely find both will become more nasty to another oval shaped tang.
The olivasceus may show the most aggression as he has the same body and fin shape.

Yes thankfully I've done enough research to come with the same conclusion. My only 2 factors I was hoping on was that other have had success with multiple tangs and also that the new mimic/chocolate would be so small that they don't bother him so he'll have his spot in the ranks and can coinhabit. But I definitely don't want to cause a disaster

Upvote 0

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another key thing to point out here is those fish are all small and will grow a lot and as they grow so does their aggression. So it may look great now but in a couple years maybe not so much especially if you try to add another acanthurus into the mix and they are by snd large the most aggressive family of tangs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another key thing to point out here is those fish are all small and will grow a lot and as they grow so does their aggression. So it may look great now but in a couple years maybe not so much especially if you try to add another acanthurus into the mix and they are by snd large the most aggressive family of tangs.
The more I hear the word acanthurus the more scared I'm getting lol. Okay I don't want anymore fish. Thank you JC lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squad!! :)

Attachments

• 20230211_174538.jpg
    20230211_174538.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230211_174537.jpg
    20230211_174537.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230211_174451.jpg
    20230211_174451.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230211_174449.jpg
    20230211_174449.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that Acanthurus isn’t a family, the family is called Acanthuridae however Acanthurus is one of 6 genera in the tang family (Acanthuridae).
I definitely agree with though, tangs grow fast and so does their aggression, I have a CBB and scopas live together in harmony for 2 years then the scopas grew and snapped against the CBB.
Pyramid butterflies are a reef safe, hardy, and colorful addition that may fill the void :)
pyramid butterflies are still risky, you can’t say everything is 100% reef safe. I’ve seen pyramids go for fleshy LPS and I’ve even seen tangs of rouge for corals. The tangs currently in the tank likely won’t take well to butterflies and start to show aggression. Pyramid Butterflies may be hardy however that’s only if they’re in before the tangs and other aggressive fish of similar body shapes.

Upvote 0

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that Acanthurus isn’t a family, the family is called Acanthuridae however Acanthurus is one of 6 genera in the tang family (Acanthuridae).
I definitely agree with though, tangs grow fast and so does their aggression, I have a CBB and scopas live together in harmony for 2 years then the scopas grew and snapped against the CBB.

pyramid butterflies are still risky, you can’t say everything is 100% reef safe. I’ve seen pyramids go for fleshy LPS and I’ve even seen tangs of rouge for corals. The tangs currently in the tank likely won’t take well to butterflies and start to show aggression. Pyramid Butterflies may be hardy however that’s only if they’re in before the tangs and other aggressive fish of similar body shapes.
Yeah I'm speaking in general. I've had a hippo tang go rogue and eat $400 in clams in a day. Pyramids seem to come in around 3-4" and based on his current tang sizes *should* be okay.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm speaking in general. I've had a hippo tang go rogue and eat $400 in clams in a day. Pyramids seem to come in around 3-4" and based on his current tang sizes *should* be okay.
I want to know what pyramids you’ve been seeing!
All the ones that come in over here are 1-2”…

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back