Tang feeding

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to have algae (nori) everyday.

I purchase nori from my local oriental market and cut it up into quarters. I then clip two of the quarter pieces to an algae clip and let them graze away.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. Nori, nori and more nori. Mine eat lots of green and red nori plus they love the meaty foods i feed the rest of the fish as well.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to have algae (nori) everyday.

I purchase nori from my local oriental market and cut it up into quarters. I then clip two of the quarter pieces to an algae clip and let them graze away.

What about seaweed selects that you buy at the lfs

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about seaweed selects that you buy at the lfs
You will over pay. Now on the other hand if you can find some garlic infused nori at the LF, get that first. This will get yout tang used to the nori and then you can buy the regular nori at the grocery or oriental market at a quarter of the cost as the LF.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned above, a varied diet with an emphasis on the greens. (Nori, Spirulina flakes, frozen foods like Emerald Entre, Veggie Delight etc)

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed romaine lettuce. it's only like a dollar a head n it's enough for bout a week...
I actually feed two leaves a day
my naso sailfin convct and tomni love it

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red nori is crack for most tangs, Angels, and moorish idols especially. Hawaiian species in particular love it. I buy it in bulk on Amazon (ocean nutrition brand) 50 sheets for like 30 bucks. Not 1/3 sheets like you get at LFS, full 12x12" sheets.

I buy cheap green nori from the oriental section at Kroger to supplement. I feed both.

There should be enough nori in there that the tangs can graze on it for about half of the day. If there is any left over at the end of the day, you fed too much. My tangs all look like whales but they're healthy!

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red nori is crack for most tangs, Angels, and moorish idols especially. Hawaiian species in particular love it. I buy it in bulk on Amazon (ocean nutrition brand) 50 sheets for like 30 bucks. Not 1/3 sheets like you get at LFS, full 12x12" sheets.

I buy cheap green nori from the oriental section at Kroger to supplement. I feed both.

There should be enough nori in there that the tangs can graze on it for about half of the day. If there is any left over at the end of the day, you fed too much. My tangs all look like whales but they're healthy!
My tangs end up ripping it off the clip

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed romaine lettuce. it's only like a dollar a head n it's enough for bout a week...
I actually feed two leaves a day
my naso sailfin convct and tomni love it

Lettuce has no nutritional value. It might fill the belly of your tangs, but they shouldn't be eating this. I'd highly suggest you stick with nori. If you purchase from your local oriental market, it's cheap.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can eliminate nori getting ripped out of the clip my properly preparing it first. Again, I purchase nori from my local oriental market and then cut each piece into four quarters...about 2 1/2 to 3 inch squares. All these small sheets go into sandwich baggies. When I'm ready to feed, I take two of this pieces and fold them in half.

The fold is then cut with sissors:

IMG_2361.jpg

I fold it in half again and again cut the fold:

IMG_2363.jpg

Now clip it into the algae clip….and here is where things change….start cutting the algae ca 1/16 to 1/8 strips all the way across:

IMG_2365.jpg

So when you get done you have 10 to 12 cuts on the algae, making multiple small strips:

IMG_2367.jpg

So now when the piranha attack, they only get a mouth full instead of pulling the small sheets of nori out...that would end up floating around the tank.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang is in a qt now and i purchased the green nori frm my lfs but he does not touch it... How can i get him to try it??? Anyone!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Instead of using the clip you could just cut the Nori into 1/4" x 1/4" pieces and feed it the same way you would flake food. You'll want to soak the Nori in a cup of water for a few minutes first though. This will soften it up a little and keep them from floating away. GL.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used to feed lettuce to my tangs it was lettuce in lettuce out. It didn't look like the fish was digesting it one bit. Pass.

Back