Tang Gang Help Planning: Possible or Just Stupid?

BigTex1836

Howdy from Houston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really wanted to have a tang gang. Is it possible to successfully keep 3 tangs in a 140 gallon tank? I want to do a mimic (Acanthurus pyroferus), Kole (Ctenochaetus strigosus), and yellow (Zebrasoma flavescens) tangs. I am trying trying to do different colors and species families. I was also planning on introducing all at the same time as juveniles. I have wanted to try out Elliot at Marine Collectors. Thoughts?

2A9F913D-0C79-4624-929A-477FB49BB15D.png 9697F3B0-FFAD-476A-AAC3-17CEA93A5CFA.png FC0CFF83-CE04-4A0B-8E0F-A71AA5D0E0A8.png

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really wanted to have a tang gang. Is it possible to successfully keep 3 tangs in a 140 gallon tank? I want to do a mimic (Acanthurus pyroferus), Kole (Ctenochaetus strigosus), and yellow (Zebrasoma flavescens) tangs. I am trying trying to do different colors and species families. I was also planning on introducing all at the same time as juveniles. I have wanted to try out Elliot at Marine Collectors. Thoughts?

2A9F913D-0C79-4624-929A-477FB49BB15D.png 9697F3B0-FFAD-476A-AAC3-17CEA93A5CFA.png FC0CFF83-CE04-4A0B-8E0F-A71AA5D0E0A8.png
I think they should be fine, Marco S had 4 Tangs in a 160. So I don't see why not. Also, hopefully, it is 6'. :)
Forgot to add that you are doing a good job by adding them by different Genus!

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to feed a good bit if not overtime they will start to nip at corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had 9 in a 360g. Either introduce at same time to avoid aggression OR place the least aggressive into the tank first.

360aa.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should be fine, Marco S had 4 Tangs in a 160. So I don't see why not. Also, hopefully, it is 6'. :)
Forgot to add that you are doing a good job by adding them by different Genus!

Did I hear my name? :p

I have an Achilles, Purple, Powder Blue, Hippo and just got a Whitetail Bristletooth...so that's five! I did have some issues with the Achilles and Purple and had to separate them and almost got rid of the Achilles. I decided to re add him though and the aggression switched to him and the Powder Blue, (they are the same family and not recommended) but it only lasted a few hours and they are all getting along again. If the aggression shows itself again I will try the mirror trick.

The best advise I can give is to keep them fed well and have separate seaweed clips, (I have three now) so they can all eat without being in each others territory. Also have lots of hiding places in your aquascape for them to hide. If aggression does happen, don't be so quick to act and just let it play out and hopefully it stops. A few torn fins are fine among Tangs. If it gets more serious though, separation may be required.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and post lots of pics!

Edit: I should add that I will be moving my Achilles and Hippo to a 300+ gallon tank in a couple years. For those that would tell me that a 160 gallon is not recommended for those two...yeah, I already know that. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigTex1836

BigTex1836

Howdy from Houston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I hear my name? :p

I have an Achilles, Purple, Powder Blue, Hippo and just got a Whitetail Bristletooth...so that's five! I did have some issues with the Achilles and Purple and had to separate them and almost got rid of the Achilles. I decided to re add him though and the aggression switched to him and the Powder Blue, (they are the same family and not recommended) but it only lasted a few hours and they are all getting along again. If the aggression shows itself again I will try the mirror trick.

The best advise I can give is to keep them fed well and have separate seaweed clips, (I have three now) so they can all eat without being in each others territory. Also have lots of hiding places in your aquascape for them to hide. If aggression does happen, don't be so quick to act and just let it play out and hopefully it stops. A few torn fins are fine among Tangs. If it gets more serious though, separation may be required.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and post lots of pics!

Edit: I should add that I will be moving my Achilles and Hippo to a 300+ gallon tank in a couple years. For those that would tell me that a 160 gallon is not recommended for those two...yeah, I already know that. :)
Thank you so much for the advice. I wanted a 300 gallon to start. My wife said yes, until she realized how big it is. I figure that I am still going to get it. I just have to wait 2-4 years. I waited 20 years for this tank. Plus I love planning out the tank. That is a large part of the fun for me. My grandfather was a carpenter, and he always said measure twice, cut once.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back