OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what was stated above regarding the Naso... mine also seems like Switzerland. Nobody messes with her and she doesn't mess with anybody else. This was true even when she was the smallest tang... and now she's just about the largest. The lieutenant tang got a bit more aggressive as he got bigger... he's a beefcake now at ~8" long and over 1" thick. He will occasionally give chase to the pyroferus tang (probably the least aggressive) tang but it's all for show. The scopas tang was a very aggressive tang when it was the same size as the other tangs. They have since outpaced him so he is pretty cool now. I've got a two spot bristletooth tang that will be added once he puts on a little more size so I'm eager to see how it will slot in. Only concerned with the scopas at this point.

Naso - N/A just feed me
lieutenant - occasional dominant show
scopas - will probably chase newcomer
pyroferus - beautiful and not aggressive
two spot bristletooth - wildcard, lives with humu and assassi triggers...
Do you have a picture of the pyroferus? They aren’t very common

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the zebrasoma showdown- day 3 after the purple vs gem tang beat up the gem tang has almost completely recovered from all the missing fin pieces and is now swimming with the group and eating just fine. I think they have reached some kind of truce and decided to find the right cave to sleep.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Do you find the ranking has anything to do with size, or mostly just personality?
The purple was smaller than the gem. The sailfin was the largest. The Achilles and brown were about equal. Sailfin, a blue, and the purple were added at the same time. Brown, gem, Kole and Achilles later added.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mostly by the order they established themselves in the tank?
The purple was smaller than the gem. The sailfin was the largest. The Achilles and brown were about equal. Sailfin, a blue, and the purple were added at the same time. Brown, gem, Kole and Achilles later added

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 660g, Vlamingi at 15" was ruler of the tank. I currently have 18 tangs who get along well. Of course a squabble here and there but no actual fighting or torn fins. My Naso at 8"+ very docile and the powder blue, the tank jerk.

1647303689585.png
1647303712426.png
1647303725776.png
1647303758488.png
660g tangs 7.3.jpg
The number of yellow tangs you have makes everyone jealous, especially now

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang is kinds bossy
Yellow tangs are docile
Scopus more so
Convict tang is kinda aggressive when need to be I noticed.
Atlantic blue hides and is shy but does swim with the purple tang.
My dream is to grow a unicorn tang and watch the horn grow. I've tried small ones in the past maybe twice but no success yet.
Gonna wait till my upgrade is running and my garage tanks for qt and transfers and coral frags.ect.
D

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang is kinds bossy
Yellow tangs are docile
Scopus more so
Convict tang is kinda aggressive when need to be I noticed.
Atlantic blue hides and is shy but does swim with the purple tang.
My dream is to grow a unicorn tang and watch the horn grow. I've tried small ones in the past maybe twice but no success yet.
Gonna wait till my upgrade is running and my garage tanks for qt and transfers and coral frags.ect.
D
I share that same sentiment atlantic blue seem to be very shy, not very enjoyable as they hide a lot.
I can’t imagine having a unicon growing out at home aquarium, they get massive! But would definitely love to see you try!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have reasonable balance right now with the tangs, the prince vlamingi was re-homed from the 180 due to size and too many bruises leaving now dominant purple, young blue and growing CB yellow and all seems peaceful.
Question to the group - have purchased my first Copper band - it was in a LFS for 3 weeks and eating the whole time, is 3 days in my home QT and waiting to be added - so has anyone seen tang on CBB aggression?
thanks
With a dominant Zebrasoma it’s VERY unlikely the CBB will survive. I had three tangs in the past, 2 Zebrasoma, 1 Paracanthurus and the Zebrasomas would go haywire around similar bodied fish.

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs are all pretty young and about the same size @ 4”.

1. Yellow Tang - weeks of aggression but got to the top and has completely chilled
2. Magnificent Foxface - has no business being here, but became the yellow tang’s goon.
3. Sailfin - worried about it’s place so is always puffing up
4/5. White tail and powder blue - happy to swim around. Almost always run from aggression.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tang game is about to get shuffled up. In addition to what I already have, today I picked up:
Adult lemon mimic tang
Powderblue tang
Two spot bristletooth tang
A tiny (quarter size) desjardini tang
And a magnificent foxface (not a tang, but in the vegetarian group)
Among others (anthias, etc)
All are in quarantine for a few weeks yet.

I may leave the two spot as an utilitarian algae grazer for my frag tank so not much to worry there.
My biggest concern is the quarter size desjardini.
I am torn whether to put it in while it is small, or grow it out before putting it in with other zebrasomas I already have. There is an argument to pro and con on both cases: At this time I have two small biota yellow tang and the grown ups don’t even care for their existence so they are never being bothered. I wonder if that’d be the same case for the desjardini. But it may also be safer to put it in when it is larger and more robust so if anyone pushes it, it can push right back?
Thoughts?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tang game is about to get shuffled up. In addition to what I already have, today I picked up:
Adult lemon mimic tang
Powderblue tang
Two spot bristletooth tang
A tiny (quarter size) desjardini tang
And a magnificent foxface (not a tang, but in the vegetarian group)
Among others (anthias, etc)
All are in quarantine for a few weeks yet.

I may leave the two spot as an utilitarian algae grazer for my frag tank so not much to worry there.
My biggest concern is the quarter size desjardini.
I am torn whether to put it in while it is small, or grow it out before putting it in with other zebrasomas I already have. There is an argument to pro and con on both cases: At this time I have two small biota yellow tang and the grown ups don’t even care for their existence so they are never being bothered. I wonder if that’d be the same case for the desjardini. But it may also be safer to put it in when it is larger and more robust so if anyone pushes it, it can push right back?
Thoughts?
They grow quite fast, they will be at the bottom but in time they will become the top. I have seen a Desjardini the same size as yours go into a tank with a bunch of aggressive tangs (Sohal, Lineatus ect) and once it grew it was one of the bosses.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow quite fast, they will be at the bottom but in time they will become the top. I have seen a Desjardini the same size as yours go into a tank with a bunch of aggressive tangs (Sohal, Lineatus ect) and once it grew it was one of the bosses.
Thanks for feedback, I have always had them, just never that tony lol. I dont expect it to become the boss (I think the purple will forever be the boss), but all I wish for is for it to not stress and die before it has a chance to grow up

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for feedback, I have always had them, just never that tony lol. I dont expect it to become the boss (I think the purple will forever be the boss), but all I wish for is for it to not stress and die before it has a chance to grow up
If added with the other tangs, chances are it won’t stress and die. But if kept alone and then added later then it won’t be great and will possibly have all the tangs go for it.

aquaticcentral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my two cents, I think the Sohal is possibly the meanest out there. I've had a 3" tang stand up to and eventually dominate a handful of other tangs (lt, mac, chocolate, black shoulder, etc) that were 6" +. That sohal is now pushing the same size as the rest, approx 8" and running them all.

One of the absolute toughest and now deadliest for me has been a yellowfin, xanthopterus. I have one around 18" in a 1600g and he punishes everyone. Recently killed two 1' angels, queen and french, and has absolutely been terrorizing a 13" mata. He has also for sure killed a handful of other acanthurus. No hiding space good enough, he is relentless.

Sometimes not sure if natural hiding spaces and lots of room is better, or overstocking the tank and having no territories to establish; the latter is less appealing as a hobbyist but definitely better at preventing fights to the death.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my two cents, I think the Sohal is possibly the meanest out there. I've had a 3" tang stand up to and eventually dominate a handful of other tangs (lt, mac, chocolate, black shoulder, etc) that were 6" +. That sohal is now pushing the same size as the rest, approx 8" and running them all.

One of the absolute toughest and now deadliest for me has been a yellowfin, xanthopterus. I have one around 18" in a 1600g and he punishes everyone. Recently killed two 1' angels, queen and french, and has absolutely been terrorizing a 13" mata. He has also for sure killed a handful of other acanthurus. No hiding space good enough, he is relentless.

Sometimes not sure if natural hiding spaces and lots of room is better, or overstocking the tank and having no territories to establish; the latter is less appealing as a hobbyist but definitely better at preventing fights to the death.
+1 please share pics of your 16” yellowfin. I know they are absolutely beautiful.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- after 1.5 month in the new tank the hierarchy changed a bit- the blue hippo tang is now calling the shots. But he really only “tries” to beat up the blonde naso. The naso stands his ground though with the double spike but chose to back out most of the time. The blue tang owns and patrols the largest open area of my tank. The purple is now pushed to the side, occassional bickering with the gem tang. Tomini doesnt care about other tangs but isn’t in good terms with my magnificent foxface. The orange shoulder seems to be off limit- not bothering anyone nor anyone bothering him as he is the largest fish in tank now (but still bright yellow, despite the orange shoulder marking.)
The three yellow tangs only kick each other among themselves and have no quarrel with any other tangs.
I did put the quarantined 2” desjardini in there a couple weeks ago. It was doing fine with all others and eating well…. Until I found him stuck to vortec one morning. Lesson learned not all fish that size can dodge vortec suction.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- after 1.5 month in the new tank the hierarchy changed a bit- the blue hippo tang is now calling the shots. But he really only “tries” to beat up the blonde naso. The naso stands his ground though with the double spike but chose to back out most of the time. The blue tang owns and patrols the largest open area of my tank. The purple is now pushed to the side, occassional bickering with the gem tang. Tomini doesnt care about other tangs but isn’t in good terms with my magnificent foxface. The orange shoulder seems to be off limit- not bothering anyone nor anyone bothering him as he is the largest fish in tank now (but still bright yellow, despite the orange shoulder marking.)
The three yellow tangs only kick each other among themselves and have no quarrel with any other tangs.
I did put the quarantined 2” desjardini in there a couple weeks ago. It was doing fine with all others and eating well…. Until I found him stuck to vortec one morning. Lesson learned not all fish that size can dodge vortec suction.
That sucks about the desjardini but great to hear for the most part everyone’s getting along!

aquaticcentral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I tried getting some pics but man it's hard. Using an Iphone 7 and just can't seem to get a clean pic. Between the lighting, glare, and his pace moving around the tank, did I mention my lack of photography skills, it's no easy task

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back