Tang in a 55 gallon?!

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i know that there is a BIG argument about what size tank a tang can fit in. I was just curious if there was any type/species of tang that could fit in a 55 gallon tank. I have the aquascape arranged so there is lots of swimming space and all around the rock. The rock is not touching the aquarium walls at all which could allow for the tang to swim in long circles around the live rock.

Do you guys think I could house a tank in my tank? Any species of Tangs?:eek:oh:

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang, yellow tang, kole tang. All would be fine in a 55. I've been keeping tangs for 15 plus years starting with a 55 and now with a 90.

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang which is healthy and I am thinking about getting a kole tang in my 55 gallon.

OP
OP
S

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks "sucker" for the info, and I would only have one tang. but what do u thing about having a salifin tang instead of a yellow tank or a purple tang?

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks "sucker" for the info, and I would only have one tang. but what do u thing about having a salifin tang instead of a yellow tank or a purple tang?
I wouldn't do it but FYI, one of my friend is keeping rea sea salifin in his 75g. He looks awesome and healthy

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys and what do you guys think about a sailfin tang? or would i be better off with a yellow or purple tang?

A sailfin tang will get way too big for a 55. I wouldn't bother with either a yellow or a purple.

Personally, I wouldn't put a tang in a 55, tried it a couple of decades ago, didn't work out well. But, if you are going to do it, I would stick with one of the Ctenochaetus tangs.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only type of tang I would consider putting in a 55 would be a bristle tooth tang such as a kole tang. Tank is too small for a blue, purple, or yellow tang.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think Ctenochaetus tangs would be fine. Definitely not a sailfin. Within a year it will be huge if fed properly. Kole or tomini would do fine. I have a tiny <2" kole in my 20g frag tank, but he will eventually get moved either to my display or someone elses and replaced with another when the time comes.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me tang police if you wish, but I call myself conservative when it comes to stocking.. I would only do a tomini or kole tang as others have mentioned. Juveniles of other species would be fine for a period of time, but not optimal unless you have a larger tank already available for it in the future. Generally, IMO if you have to ask if its okay for "some species" of tang to be kept in a certain size tank, its probably a best idea not to do so.

In the end of the day, if you have plenty of swimming room within the 55 I believe you will be more than okay with the kole/tomini or some other smaller bristle tooth.

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a convict, blue eyed and regal tang in my 50g and there happy as far as I know.

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow and hippo in a 58 and they were healthy for years

mantz88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang in my 40 and he has given me 0 issues. Him and my Swallowtail Angel got a little ruff when I fist put the Angel in, but they stopped fighting after about 2 hours. The tang is very happy swimming around nipping at the algae all day.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Marine Betta, they get up to 8" but don't need a huge tank like tangs. You could also go with Tahitian Butterflyfish or a Fisher's Angelfish, but they both are reef safe "with caution". I have a MB and I love him, very peaceful and a very beautiful fish IMO.

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kole yellow eye or bristletooth tang is the only tang I would take a chance keeping in a 55 gallon, and in a 55 gallon long at that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back