Tang Issue please help

willsmithpro12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow reefers,
I recently purchased a beautiful purple tang that immediately showed ich spots once home, I then threw the guy in qt with copper at 2.5 for two weeks, 85% water change then prazipro two days ago. He now looks terrible and has an odd marking on each side, has anyone seen this before and if so, know how to treat it?

IMG-8199 (1).jpg

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kannaplex should help with this one for sure. I’ve used it with several of my zebrasomas with great results with bacterial infections. It most likely is a secondary infection from the ich

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#fishmedic
Looks like the fish has a bacterial infection. I’ll leave it to the pros to confirm and say what to treat with.
would agree with a bacterial infection - totally (and you're a pro:)) - broad spectrum antibiotics (especially for gram negatives) - in a hospital tank. I have no clue what you(OP) can get in your locale. Immediate treatment is required IMHO. @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gram negative Bacterial infection or Pseudomonas and NOT from ich but likely copper exposure.
As you may have guessed, quarantine will be needed for treatment and ASAP. This is likely gram negative and Combining Kanaplex and Metroplex has the potential for providing the widest spectrum of antibiotics for this gram negative condition. drawback is , it generally takes a week for medication to go to work on issue.
Is the fish at least eating?
how is breathing- labored or normal ?
When did this start ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow reefers,
I recently purchased a beautiful purple tang that immediately showed ich spots once home, I then threw the guy in qt with copper at 2.5 for two weeks, 85% water change then prazipro two days ago. He now looks terrible and has an odd marking on each side, has anyone seen this before and if so, know how to treat it?

IMG-8199 (1).jpg
How bad did the ich get before the copper resolved it? Copper itself doesn't cause bacterial infections, but it also does nothing to stop them, and these infections are pretty common post severe ich infections.

Did the markings show up before the prazipro?

As the others said, a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be the best treatment.

I can't tell if the lesions are through the skin, but if so, that throws off the fish's ability to osmoregulate. You should consider maintaining a slightly lower salinity than full which treating this. I typically aim for a specific gravity of 1.020 if a fish has a lot of skin damage.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to help understand, which copper product and which copper test kit did you use?

OP
OP
W

willsmithpro12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich was minor and went away after 2 days of copper power at 2.5 ppm using the hanna copper checker, after two weeks of copper I did a 60%ish water change and added prazipro, one week later the fading and "splotches" showed up

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 88 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back