Tang laying on bottom of the tank

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for my 20G to cycle and treat all my fish for ich, however when I got home I saw this little guys on the sand bed breathing very hard. So I made pace for him in a small nano I had. He’s been in for roughly 4 hours and the breathing has slowed down, I’ve seen him a little more active just bouncing around some but he hasn’t got up to swim yet. Find a video attached below.

I also dosed coppersafe to 2/5 required dosage. However my seachem test kit is reading .8mg/L, I am worried that copper is too high but is it more likely that the test kit is wrong or coppersafe is very strong?

Attachments

• IMG_0439.mov
    30.8 MB

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is not looking good and appears to be in a moribund condition.
Would love to offer a thumbs up and support but I don't think there's much you can do to save it.
Once on their side like that it's a tell tale sign.
How are the rest of the fish?
Where are they at what's going on?
Hopefully a medic can chime in and verify but that's my opinion.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he just passed away, he was the only one I immediately quarantined as it was the only tank I have immediately available by moving another fish over. I am upset but also very confused since he ate yesterday and feasted on the nori. Are we allowed to post pictures of dead fish? I don’t want to violate any rules so I’m not doing it until someone confirms but I would strongly appreciate help as to why this happened. He is not covered in ich spots, they actually mostly faded. It was just today that it all happened. He does have some sort of black “stain” around the middle of his body. Could it be some sort of bacterial infection? If so how do I go about treating bacterial infections?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he just passed away, he was the only one I immediately quarantined as it was the only tank I have immediately available by moving another fish over. I am upset but also very confused since he ate yesterday and feasted on the nori. Are we allowed to post pictures of dead fish? I don’t want to violate any rules so I’m not doing it until someone confirms but I would strongly appreciate help as to why this happened. He is not covered in ich spots, they actually mostly faded. It was just today that it all happened. He does have some sort of black “stain” around the middle of his body. Could it be some sort of bacterial infection? If so how do I go about treating bacterial infections?

We should keep the same case in a single thread, it gets confusing to have two different threads about the same tank....

Unless my math was off - in the other thread I calculated that you were at the correct partial dose for the amount of coppersafe you added.

Was there anything in the move of the fish that could have caused acute damage? Did you need to chase it with a net, did it go from lower to higher salinity, anything like that?

Posting a picture of the dead fish usually doesn't tell us anything, but feel free - maybe we'll see something about that dark spot?

Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault but no I didn’t chase it, whenever I got near the tang it swam up a little bit which is when I scooped it up, no changes in salinity or temp. There’s the black spot

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault but no I didn’t chase it, whenever I got near the tang it swam up a little bit which is when I scooped it up, no changes in salinity or temp. There’s the black spot
Sorry - I don’t know what that is. It isn’t from the typical diseases though…looks like a bruise.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back