Tang Re-introduction suggestions after Fallow period.

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone,
So by the title, you already know we’re currently in a fallow… (80 day mark is set for 12/21) So hopefully I can start re-adding back my fish from QT and no more issues pop up again…

First tank background, I have a 96”x36”x30” main display and a plumbed in 6ft/140g ish frag tank all in the same system. So plenty of real estate for fish to be held in.

Besides introducing all the non-aggressive fishies first, I’m reaching out and posting here because I have a question on how everyone would go about reintroducing the tangs I currently have…
-1 blue hippo
-1 blonde naso
-2 yellow tangs (one recently picked up from a tank break down and he’s clearly the boss in the QT system at the moment.. prolly 4-5”)
-1 Achilles (5”) (The main reason I said no, I’m gonna catch everyone and go fallow to give it the best chance given its species.
-1 scopas and 1 tomini (these 2 were always planned to be in the frag tank.)

I want to add a Dini, Purple and Gem tang down the road, one store suggested I house all zebras together in the 140g frag tank side of the system, wait and intro all those together when i have everyone in the zebra fam I want…. But I feel like at that point if the Achilles has already been in the main DT long enough, he’s going to be a real problem. (Even tho he’s in his own QT now with a Mag Fox and he seems very laid back..)

Would you do the suggested? Or should I house the Achilles in the frag tank section with the scopas and tomini until I have gathered the other zebras then intro all them together? Or should I wait until I’m truly close to the end of my fish additions and add him last? (I’ll prolly add a white tail and orange shoulder at some point too, adding multiples at once tends to always disperse the aggression better…)

Sorry for the long drawn out situation Thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Personal I would add all of what you have to the display at the same time. Keep an eye on that one yellow, if still being a bully Move it to frag tank. Then try to do the others in the same batch, or stage them into the frag tank then add together to display. I found that it was worse to just add a single fish into the group then multiples at the same time.
You have a large tank and after a few days they will settle down. Also a day of turning lights off has also helped with aggression.
I would be careful with adding orange shoulder after the achillies

I have 3 gem, 3 yellow, purple, achilles, foxface, sailfin in my display and they are all fine together, but they have been together for years. Getting ready to add a blond naso, kole, tomini

OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal I would add all of what you have to the display at the same time. Keep an eye on that one yellow, if still being a bully Move it to frag tank. Then try to do the others in the same batch, or stage them into the frag tank then add together to display. I found that it was worse to just add a single fish into the group then multiples at the same time.
You have a large tank and after a few days they will settle down. Also a day of turning lights off has also helped with aggression.
I would be careful with adding orange shoulder after the achillies

I have 3 gem, 3 yellow, purple, achilles, foxface, sailfin in my display and they are all fine together, but they have been together for years. Getting ready to add a blond naso, kole, tomini
Appreciate the ideas! I had the same thinking for awhile about just keep all the tangs together too… it would prolly squash any aggression right off the bat, but who knows how it goes down the road.

I’ll forsure stick to adding groups if I go that route of everyone at once. The lights out is a great idea along with mirrors, acclimation boxes and decoys.

Could also maybe just do the hippo and naso at first in the display and house the Achilles and zebras all together in the frag tank. Only thinking of this because those 2 are usually pretty laid back.. (might do a chocolate with the orange shoulder along with a white tail as a group to get diversity in there and keep the Achilles at bay on who to single out.)

Did you find your gems locally? Or order from anyone specific online? I’ve seen some great pricing on them online…. But everyone local to me wants like $1000-1200 for theirs lol. (I’d prefer to find the specimen I want in person, but I’m not about the markups when I see them a quarter the price elsewhere lol.)

Thanks again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back