Tang with an eye issue. Quick help needed.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon! Please assist on this. I have searched a bunch of threads and still can't seem to tell what the issue here is. Also, I can't get a good pic of it either but I will post what I got. The issue is with her right eye.

My very poor guess at what this is would be bilateral retrobulbar exophthalmia but I wouldn't trust me as far as I can throw me.

First off, this tang is not a new comer, actually no new fish in several months. The eye is cloudy and swollen. She did not come out for food today and that is absolutely not normal for this pig. The cloudy part has a very small part that can of bubbles off of the cloudy part. Near impossible to get a picture though. It isn't crazy bulging but it is swollen or a little bulge. She has some scaring on her face from when I received her a couple years ago so ignore that, she came that way.

I have a fox face as well and these two have been together for years. The sailfin does pic on the fox face from time to time but mainly they swim together around the tank. This sailfin is the tank boss.

I call it a she but I truly have no idea. She just needs a little help.

Meds I have on hand:

Maracyn Oxy (I believe IF I treat for this, this will be it sod I will need a treatment plan)
General Cure
Focus
Metroplex
Chemiclean
Prazipro

IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3475.MOV
    81.2 MB

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with a clown, fresh water dip fixed her right up. Could be flukes in the eye or something similar. Point being, 5 min freshwater dip to rule out a parasite of some sort can’t hurt.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a fresh water dip and I didn't see any flukes in the water afterward. Im getting old so maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eye problems, maracyn is going to be better, rather than maracyn oxy.
It’s possible the eye got infected as a result of an injury, could have gotten hit by the foxface.
Maracyn isn't available locally that I know of. With no Oxy as an option I will have to order it. I however, don't know the difference between the oxygen and no oxygen but I saw someone in another thread say something similar with a tang with an eye issue as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon! Please assist on this. I have searched a bunch of threads and still can't seem to tell what the issue here is. Also, I can't get a good pic of it either but I will post what I got. The issue is with her right eye.

My very poor guess at what this is would be bilateral retrobulbar exophthalmia but I wouldn't trust me as far as I can throw me.

First off, this tang is not a new comer, actually no new fish in several months. The eye is cloudy and swollen. She did not come out for food today and that is absolutely not normal for this pig. The cloudy part has a very small part that can of bubbles off of the cloudy part. Near impossible to get a picture though. It isn't crazy bulging but it is swollen or a little bulge. She has some scaring on her face from when I received her a couple years ago so ignore that, she came that way.

I have a fox face as well and these two have been together for years. The sailfin does pic on the fox face from time to time but mainly they swim together around the tank. This sailfin is the tank boss.

I call it a she but I truly have no idea. She just needs a little help.

Meds I have on hand:

Maracyn Oxy (I believe IF I treat for this, this will be it sod I will need a treatment plan)
General Cure
Focus
Metroplex
Chemiclean
Prazipro

IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
The facial scarring is HLLE, common in this species. I couldn’t get a good view of its eye, but I would say it is injury related. Maracyn 1 is what we suggest for that.

The only confusing factor here is the fish not eating - a minor eye injury should not cause that.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The facial scarring is HLLE, common in this species. I couldn’t get a good view of its eye, but I would say it is injury related. Maracyn 1 is what we suggest for that.

The only confusing factor here is the fish not eating - a minor eye injury should not cause that.

Jay
She didn’t come out to eat this morning and has stayed relatively hidden all day. Moved her to a hospital tank to see what the issue is. I’ll try feeding in the hospital tank after I thaw some mysis as a treat. If she doesn’t eat that then we definitely have a problem.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't eat the frozen mysis unfortunately. I'm open to any suggestions. Putting in an order for Maracyn now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
She didn't eat the frozen mysis unfortunately. I'm open to any suggestions. Putting in an order for Maracyn now.
Assure ammonia and nitrate has not become elevated. Use Maracyn for at least 5 days and increase oxygen during treatment

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an ammonia checker that I would consider accurate these days but my phosphate and nitrate have increased a little lately (Phosphate = .78 Nitrate = 24.8) but I attribute that to how I package my food. I usually buy my own raw food and grind it up and freeze it. I ran out of space in my silicon molds last time and then just put some flat in a freezer bag like LRS does, I know for a fact I have increased my food significantly as I learn to feed from the flat packs instead of the miniature ice cube dividers I usually use. As for ammonia, It's not a small tank, 175 gallons total with tons of rock in the display and sump for beneficial bacteria. I haven't had anything die that I can tell. Snails are still cruising, other fish as well. I have lost an acid wash anemone a couple weeks ago somewhere in the tank but it's not necessarily dead but also I don't think it would cause a spike being as small as it was. That's all I can think of. All the other readings from he Neptune Trident are pretty steady for weeks now.

Maracyn should ship tomorrow coming from Washington to Arizona so hopefully only a couple days and I will start treatment. I will add a bubbler in with the sailfin when I begin treatment. Until then the QT will be home for her.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back