Tang

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by red02, Feb 8, 2018.

1. red02

red02 Active Member

does anyone know what type of tang this is I was told it was a palani tang thanks

IMG_1428.PNG

wowkingjames likes this.
    Tags:

2. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Acanthurus Thompsoni, or Thompson’s Surgeonfish (Tang). They grow to about a foot long and are quite mild-tempered for an acanthurus tang.

4. red02

red02 Active Member

Thanks I have been looking all over to find out what type it was

4FordFamily and redfishbluefish like this.
  5. HotRockTarBaby

HotRockTarBaby Fish Fanatic! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@4FordFamily knows them for sure! I'm just excited to have my newest addition, Mustard tang. I may be able to say I've kept a fish that Jason hasn't, once he is through QT! By the way I'm playing @4FordFamily and I are good buddies and live less than 5 min from eachother! We speak daily and laugh off the frustrating parts of this hobby together! Happy Reefing!

Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Haha yep, you will! Go get a gem tang and I’ll be jealous! :)

Zack Klabunde and HotRockTarBaby like this.
  7. red02

red02 Active Member

I'm bummed out now that I know what it's going to look like nothing like the lfs told me.

8. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It may not be the most brilliantly colored, but it's a rare, cool, different and elegant tang. Rather more "pelagic" than your average Acanthurus, IIRC.

~Bruce

4FordFamily and Zack Klabunde like this.
  9. radiata

radiata Active Member NJRC Member

+1 on the Thompsons... Sometimes they get to be a nice solid dark blue...

4FordFamily likes this.
  10. red02

red02 Active Member

Will he get along with my powder blue does anyone know

11. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

What size tank? Any other tangs in the tank currently? If your answers are less than 180 gallon and no, I wouldn't advise it. Powder blues can be real jerks.

12. red02

red02 Active Member

My tank is a 180 no other tangs

13. 4FordFamily

Powder blue is likely to beat the snot out of it as the only two tangs, being from the same family, and on polar opposite ends of acanthurus tang temperament.

On the other hand, with a social acclimation box it could work out just fine. It’s always a gamble!

HotRockTarBaby and hybridazn like this.
  14. HotRockTarBaby

HotRockTarBaby Fish Fanatic! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

You may try to add a 3rd, like a peacekeeper. Desjardini settled my super nasty powder brown tang right down. He is 5"+, and keeps everyone in check. I have a couple Acanthurus tangs in QT now, so could get much more interesting once they go into display. (Fully expect desjardini to keep the peace again, I hope). This was a recommendation of @4FordFamily. Dude knows his tangs and how to integrate them very well.

Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted