OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add half a banana to my weekly food mix, blended with krill and mixed with a lot of other frozen foods.
I’m curious, any adverse affects over the weeks, months or years? Thanks for chiming in. :)

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sugars in macroalgae are very different from sugars found in fruit on land. Honestly my suspicion from the bat is that this would be true. Aquatic plants and macroalgae are so different from land plants that horticulturalists receive no training on them. I have a degree in plant science yet I know very little about macro algae and aquatic plants, I was taught nothing about them in school. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2588913321000260

Sorry didn't mean to side track your thread with this debate op, just want it out there that it may be bad for people's fish.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the fish for a minute I’m talking about your health reefer! Haha
Cool! A post about my health. There are two great things we have in this country. “Choices and Options” some places have one or the other, and some places neither. But here I have both. I’m as healthy as the options I have and the choices of those options. I’m 63 and pretty darn healthy. Could I be healthier? Sure. My focus during my life is in the life to come. So I’m good. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And you just toss it in there raw after a rinse? I’ve heard of the veggies for tangs but never tried it
Peas. . . lightly boil and take the inner meat out and feed
Broccoli- Lightly boil and feed the petals
banana - Lightly mash but do not puree

1625692190181.png

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah Nahh he’s addressing the elephant in the room, how about what this could mean for our water quality when uneaten pieces get left behind
There is never any uneaten food (fruit) left behind to effect the water quality.
Here’s a “rule of thumb” that I just made up: Feed only enough fruit that can be vigorously devoured in 9 seconds.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peas. . . lightly boil and take the inner meat out and feed
Broccoli- Lightly boil and feed the petals
banana - Lightly mash but do not puree

1625692190181.png
I’ll remember this thank you.
The picture at the end got me good hah

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is never any uneaten food (fruit) left behind to effect the water quality.
Here’s a “rule of thumb” that I just made up: Feed only enough fruit that can be vigorously devoured in 9 seconds.
Haha I’m going for it but the strawberry was too new too fast for my tangs yesterday. One of the wrasses tried it and so did a clown but it floated away haha just a tiny nibble off the berry

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! A post about my health. There are two great things we have in this country. “Choices and Options” some places have one or the other, and some places neither. But here I have both. I’m as healthy as the options I have and the choices of those options. I’m 63 and pretty darn healthy. Could I be healthier? Sure. My focus during my life is in the life to come. So I’m good. :)
Nailed it

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Canuck, To be honest, I had to look up “dulce”. I’m now on board lol. So how do you consume this delicacy? Out of a bag, on a cracker???
Yep! Straight outta the bag. Its got a salty taste , and better than peanuts imo lol.
These are the two I get up here. I imagine @N.Sreefer has heard of either. Julian Spungs makes a purple algae which I believe is dulse but its twice the price. Just make sure you get the non marinated variety for the tank. And happy munching!
https://www.amdulse.com/
https://seasidenovadulse.com/?utm_campaign=gmb
And here is one available in US.
https://seaveg.com/

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looked up Atlantic Dulse. Just ordered couple ounces of leaf for tangs (and me)
I've been feeding it for about 10 years. To the both of us lol. Its probably about 50% of this fat boy 'Deuce's' diet. Devours it...
20210707_185403.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Straight outta the bag. Its got a salty taste , and better than peanuts imo lol.
These are the two I get up here. I imagine @N.Sreefer has heard of either. Julian Spungs makes a purple algae which I believe is dulse but its twice the price. Just make sure you get the non marinated variety for the tank. And happy munching!
https://www.amdulse.com/
https://seasidenovadulse.com/?utm_campaign=gmb
And here is one available in US.
https://seaveg.com/
I always get fundy dulse from noggins but its all from the same place all that matters is the price. There's a bunch of edible seaweed species in nova scotia sea lettuce and kelp are the most popular ones and are sold as dulse but theres a ton of other edible seaweed species. Kinda curious what kinds a tang would eat, wonder if id be allowed to ship seaweed.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get fundy dulse from noggins but its all from the same place all that matters is the price. There's a bunch of edible seaweed species in nova scotia sea lettuce and kelp are the most popular ones and are sold as dulse but theres a ton of other edible seaweed species. Kinda curious what kinds a tang would eat, wonder if id be allowed to ship seaweed.
Ah ha! Noggins ! A NS staple....I went to one of their markets in Halifax last time out there, brilliant. Can't wait to get back to one of my fave places on earth. Been a few years too many ( Covid) ....I imagine you could ship it in country? Cross border doubt it, without major headaches, although I do have a friend in US that sends me the best Corn Tortillas every few months through the mail. I haven't tried the Corn Torts on the Tang yet. ;)

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man. Im a huge believer in sticking with foods natural to their diet in the wild.

I think unnatural things like this could cause internal problems, like liver problems.... shortening their life

I mean... heck. Feed them chunks of pizza, tacos, steak, chicken and bacon while we're at it :rolleyes:

In turn.... maybe us R2R reefers can start eating corals like Montis to replace potato chips, anemones with bounce mushrooms instead of soup

Just sayin

Dogs eat carrots and fruit. .why not fish .

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noggins? Sounds like our Walmart :) hey it’s only right if they eat our fruit, we eat their seaweed! Lol I’m gonna try it!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noggins? Sounds like our Walmart :) hey it’s only right if they eat our fruit, we eat their seaweed! Lol I’m gonna try it!
Super cool little markets in select Nova Scotia locations. Thinking you have similar Zona....darn, ANOTHER place I have to get back to....loved our time in Phoenix, Tucson, and parks nearby ( especially) , and Sedona, Grand Canyon area. Was one of our best trips ever..

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool little markets in select Nova Scotia locations. Thinking you have similar Zona....darn, ANOTHER place I have to get back to....loved our time in Phoenix, Tucson, and parks nearby ( especially) , and Sedona, Grand Canyon area. Was one of our best trips ever..
Arizona is a wonderful place. Hey have you checked out any local fish stores. We’ve got some good ones. Next trip! :)

Back