OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dont like the electric cut off modern Jeeps and cars have at stop lighs.. just a bunch of useless features.
All newer cars have useless features. Some times I ride with a Liberal. :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend we have a full boat just to hang out in the lagoon where I collect so i will get more of those tiny fish to throw in my tank. The ones I have grew about 50% in a week so i think they are halibut. :eek:

I hope they stay near the surface because if they get big and go behind the rocks I won't be able to get them out and they will probably eat everything in my tank including pictures of my old girlfriends. :confused:

They have about 6 or 7 vertical black stripes and are now 1/2" long.
I have too many snails so I won't take any of those but I may pull a plankton net for a mile or so to see if I get anything to dump in.
I love this stuff. :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend we have a full boat just to hang out in the lagoon where I collect so i will get more of those tiny fish to throw in my tank. The ones I have grew about 50% in a week so i think they are halibut. :eek:

I hope they stay near the surface because if they get big and go behind the rocks I won't be able to get them out and they will probably eat everything in my tank including pictures of my old girlfriends. :confused:

They have about 6 or 7 vertical black stripes and are now 1/2" long.
I have too many snails so I won't take any of those but I may pull a plankton net for a mile or so to see if I get anything to dump in.
I love this stuff. :D
Paul you know the "experts" on here will be thinking how stupid he's going to wipe his tank out don't you [emoji33]
[emoji6]

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had an International Jeep when I was a kid. It lived at our house at Gulf Shores and was used to haul us to the beach and back (We were too lazy to walk from the porch to the water). Over time, the salt air rusted the body... if you sat in the driver’s seat, you could look down through the floor at the road. It was a 4x4 with the shifter in the column. We would put it in 4 wheel drive (you had to get out and turn the dials on the front tires), let a little air out of the tires and head to the beach. I learned to drive in the sand, shifting gears on low tires. I was 7.

@Paul B , I would love to meet sometime. You always make me smile. If you ever decide to head south, look me up. I’ll invite y’all to dinner. We can discuss ticks.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll. You know what I call those "experts" don't you? Noobs. :rolleyes:

BestMomEver. Good morning at you. :D My Jeep also had a rotted out floor which I repaired with diamond plate and I also had to turn the hubs to put it in 4 wheel drive.
If you come up here, just bear right at the Statue Of Liberty. I will take all "Youse" guys for dinner on the boat. While discussing ticks we can eat lobsters and clams. :p

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll. You know what I call those "experts" don't you? Noobs. :rolleyes:

BestMomEver. Good morning at you. :D My Jeep also had a rotted out floor which I repaired with diamond plate and I also had to turn the hubs to put it in 4 wheel drive.
If you come up here, just bear right at the Statue Of Liberty. I will take all "Youse" guys for dinner on the boat. While discussing ticks we can eat lobsters and clams. :p
Just call them "WRONG" [emoji38]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was working on my workshop and I installed a door on a closet. It is very damp here so the thing swelled, sort of like my feet.
I got out my trusty Craftsman belt sander that I think I got when I got out of the army in about 1970 or so. I have used this thing dozens of times for probably hundreds of hours so it was "tired" and it served me wekk.
Anyway, after about 5 seconds, it croaked.

No noise, no sparks, no smells, no flames, nothing.
Usually when an electrical thing doesn't work it's the wire, plug or switch. So I took the thing apart and checked those things. They were all OK meaning it is in the motor.

I figured the windings just shorted out as it is so old so I figured I would just let it die and buy another one. I am sure this one was a couple of hundred dollars in the 70s but I need it so I want to buy a new one.

I go on Amazon and they have a lot of them so I started reading about them and they are very cheap, like the same as a grilled cheese sandwich in a small greasy spoon. You can get them for like $35.00
Unfortunately I couldn't find one built in any country that I could even pronounce much less America. The wire alone on a good tool costs more than that and I want something good, and American.

The only way that could happen is if I just repaired my old American one. :rolleyes:
It turns out the wire that was soldered to the carbon brush came loose and needed to be soldered. An easy fix (after you take the entire thing apart of course)

So Now I still have my good old USA Craftsman belt sander which proudly sits on my shelf with the rest of my (Mostly) American tools. I am so happy.
I would rather have a good American tool than something made in China probably by an 8 year old wearing shoes made out of old Toyota tires. I won't take those tools for free. :cool:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was working on my workshop and I installed a door on a closet. It is very damp here so the thing swelled, sort of like my feet.
I got out my trusty Craftsman belt sander that I think I got when I got out of the army in about 1970 or so. I have used this thing dozens of times for probably hundreds of hours so it was "tired" and it served me wekk.
Anyway, after about 5 seconds, it croaked.

No noise, no sparks, no smells, no flames, nothing.
Usually when an electrical thing doesn't work it's the wire, plug or switch. So I took the thing apart and checked those things. They were all OK meaning it is in the motor.

I figured the windings just shorted out as it is so old so I figured I would just let it die and buy another one. I am sure this one was a couple of hundred dollars in the 70s but I need it so I want to buy a new one.

I go on Amazon and they have a lot of them so I started reading about them and they are very cheap, like the same as a grilled cheese sandwich in a small greasy spoon. You can get them for like $35.00
Unfortunately I couldn't find one built in any country that I could even pronounce much less America. The wire alone on a good tool costs more than that and I want something good, and American.

The only way that could happen is if I just repaired my old American one. :rolleyes:
It turns out the wire that was soldered to the carbon brush came loose and needed to be soldered. An easy fix (after you take the entire thing apart of course)

So Now I still have my good old USA Craftsman belt sander which proudly sits on my shelf with the rest of my (Mostly) American tools. I am so happy.
I would rather have a good American tool than something made in China probably by an 8 year old wearing shoes made out of old Toyota tires. I won't take those tools for free. :cool:

Most of the cheap Chinese stuff either work or bin not meant to be fixed cheap mostly throw away junk when they croak but they are so cheap people don't bother to even consider repairing even if they could. I have US and UK spanners that I have had for years, wouldn't swap for the news ones of today. Strange thing is you can pick up UK and US used spanners in good condition cheaply on eBay. Here's some of mine in my workshop on the wall of my workshop with my 1960 BSA under them.
20190621_125446.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we are going boating in this new lagoon I discovered here where the water is very shallow, just about to shallow to get my boat in but if it is not dead low tide, we will get in. Last week there was so many fiddler crabs that the noise was driving me crazy, it was like being in the middle of "Fiddler on the Roof" but they were on the sand because there were no roofs. :rolleyes:

The last place I lived we also had fiddler crabs but here there are so many that in about 100 yards of sand/mud shore, you couldn't even see the sand, just crabs. And almost all of them were males. Like 99%. Once in a while you can see a female, but she must have been, (I probably can't say it here), but no one wanted to mate with them. Maybe they had a social disease , psoriasis, foot odor or were Liberals. I really don't know.
(I have plenty of Liberal friends so don't get crazy but this is about crabs) :D

Normally fiddler crabs live in holes and as you approach, they go in them, but here there were so many of them that if they had holes, the earth would collapse. It was totally unbelievable. I am going to bring my camera today but I bet it will be high tide and we won't see any crabs.

It is also hard to walk there as your feet sink in to the muck almost up to my Speedo . The crabs don't have that problem. Well, maybe the fat ones do. (Is it PC to call "fiddler crabs" fat or even mention that some of them are males and some females that look differently and live differently. If that's not PC, report me to the crab ethics socity)
But I am talking about "crabs".

Anyway, the hoards of crabs were trying to move away from us but there were so many of them that they were practically pushing each other out of the way and some were running over their "cousins". They were running through thick patches of mussels and sea grass to get to the other side where the holes were. The ones in the holes were waving with their big claw to attract the very few females who were I assume returning from Pilates class, having foot massages or seaweed wraps to remove cellulite.

This post was strictly about crabs, so if I offended any"crabs", I am sorry. :cool:

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the cheap Chinese stuff either work or bin not meant to be fixed cheap mostly throw away junk when they croak but they are so cheap people don't bother to even consider repairing even if they could. I have US and UK spanners that I have had for years, wouldn't swap for the news ones of today. Strange thing is you can pick up UK and US used spanners in good condition cheaply on eBay. Here's some of mine in my workshop on the wall of my workshop with my 1960 BSA under them.
20190621_125446.jpeg

US UK china... doesnt matter.. no offense but you boast about your wrenchs... and you still have crappy wrenchs lol.

A proper box end wrench isnt curved inside on the open end... Its straight lined to match the hex nut your working on... the curved wrenchs can strip a head.

Just saying..... im 32 years old and i may be young compared to some of you but i bought my first classic car at 27.. and ive veen working on cars since i was much younger.. Im suprised you guys who boast about your age dont know about these wrenchs ?

Notice my pic... see the roughneck wrench vs nappa and the other **** wrench ? Yea

20190701-021241.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
US UK china... doesnt matter.. no offense but you boast about your wrenchs... and you still have crappy wrenchs lol.

A proper box end wrench isnt curved inside on the open end... Its straight lined to match the hex nut your working on... the curved wrenchs can strip a head.

Just saying..... im 32 years old and i may be young compared to some of you but i bought my first classic car at 27.. and ive veen working on cars since i was much younger.. Im suprised you guys who boast about your age dont know about these wrenchs ?

Notice my pic... see the roughneck wrench vs nappa and the other **** wrench ? Yea

20190701-021241.jpg
[/url]
I never stripped a nut when using the correct sized spanner but there is always a first time I guess. I use a socket whenever I can if it's going to be a hard nut to crack. My spanners are Britool, Bedford some of the newer ones are Halfords professional and the like most of which I have had for years and not cheap to buy new. They have served me well many for more years than you are old and will continue to do so in the future.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrenches, I am glad we are on wrenches now. :rolleyes:
I have been wrenching for a very long time, My Dad died when I was 10 and I got a job when I was 12. (on Saturdays) That was in 1959 or so. I worked in a car wrecking yard tearing cars apart with either a wrench or an acetylene torch. (my neighbor owned the place) Today if you gave a kid a torch, you would get arrested because a 12 year old today doesn't even know how to pee. :eek: At 18 I was a General Motors mechanic and used quite a few wrenches. I still have those wrenches.

I prefer SK wrenches which have the rounded inside. I don't see it as a problem, I just like the feel, look and quality of the wrench. They also have a smooth, polished finish that some people may not like because you can probably hold one of the wrenches you pictured better. I just don't like the finish on those. It's just a personal opinion just like I don't like Craftsman wrenches. They are great for a homeowner but not as good for a professional although I have some that are probably 60 years old. I also prefer to have some 5 sided box wrenches as well as the 10 sided. (or is it 6 and 12? I forget, I am old) :confused:

I bought many cars, like this "Simca" for a few bucks, like ten and turned them around for a few hundred in a few days. I also bought a 1961 Chevy for $10.00 and sold it in a week for a few hundred. For a 16 year old in the 60s that was a fortune and I did that almost every week. Which is why I always had money. :rolleyes: Making money for me was very easy, and it still is. All you have to do is be a little smarter and more ambitious than the next guy and not be afraid to get your hands dirty.

At 19 I was a sergeant in Viet Nam :confused:
I am the good looking one in the back on the roof.
Im suprised you guys who boast about your age dont know about these wrenchs ?

We know about them, just like we know about bell bottoms, Sputnik, Elvis, Edsel's, Apollo 7, "The Momma"s and the Papa's, The cold war, (as well as the hot war) Eisenhower, Roy Orbison and an entire plethora of other non important things. We just don't consider them that important.
Those wrenches you pictured, I am sure are fine wrenches, but any wrench will loosen a bolt. An American one will just do it more Patriotically. :D
That's all I was implying.
Sailfinguy, thanks for posting and I hope you come here more often.
Atoll is just an old friend who visits often and I like the change in venue from fish to tools. This thread is all over the place anyway.

I was just lookng under my rocks with a flashlight. (I know, I'm weird) And I got all tingly. I saw my Gecko Gobies that I figured croaked months ago. But there they are, healthy as ever and they are probably the nicest looking fish I have almost seen. :p

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrenches, I am glad we are on wrenches now. :rolleyes:
I have been wrenching for a very long time, My Dad died when I was 10 and I got a job when I was 12. (on Saturdays) That was in 1959 or so. I worked in a car wrecking yard tearing cars apart with either a wrench or an acetylene torch. (my neighbor owned the place) Today if you gave a kid a torch, you would get arrested because a 12 year old today doesn't even know how to pee. :eek: At 18 I was a General Motors mechanic and used quite a few wrenches. I still have those wrenches.

I prefer SK wrenches which have the rounded inside. I don't see it as a problem, I just like the feel, look and quality of the wrench. They also have a smooth, polished finish that some people may not like because you can probably hold one of the wrenches you pictured better. I just don't like the finish on those. It's just a personal opinion just like I don't like Craftsman wrenches. They are great for a homeowner but not as good for a professional although I have some that are probably 60 years old. I also prefer to have some 5 sided box wrenches as well as the 10 sided. (or is it 6 and 12? I forget, I am old) :confused:

I bought many cars, like this "Simca" for a few bucks, like ten and turned them around for a few hundred in a few days. I also bought a 1961 Chevy for $10.00 and sold it in a week for a few hundred. For a 16 year old in the 60s that was a fortune and I did that almost every week. Which is why I always had money. :rolleyes: Making money for me was very easy, and it still is. All you have to do is be a little smarter and more ambitious than the next guy and not be afraid to get your hands dirty.

At 19 I was a sergeant in Viet Nam :confused:
I am the good looking one in the back on the roof.

We know about them, just like we know about bell bottoms, Sputnik, Elvis, Edsel's, Apollo 7, "The Momma"s and the Papa's, The cold war, (as well as the hot war) Eisenhower, Roy Orbison and an entire plethora of other non important things. We just don't consider them that important.
Those wrenches you pictured, I am sure are fine wrenches, but any wrench will loosen a bolt. An American one will just do it more Patriotically. :D
That's all I was implying.
Sailfinguy, thanks for posting and I hope you come here more often.
Atoll is just an old friend who visits often and I like the change in venue from fish to tools. This thread is all over the place anyway.

I was just lookng under my rocks with a flashlight. (I know, I'm weird) And I got all tingly. I saw my Gecko Gobies that I figured croaked months ago. But there they are, healthy as ever and they are probably the nicest looking fish I have almost seen. :p
Cheers Paul, I must admit I did edit my reply and toned it down just for the snowflakes you understand. I made this 3.6m long planter for my daughter and her husband a couple of weeks back. She painted it he did some techie PC stuff but am not sure how that helped, at least he stayed out of the way but my daughter tells me he filling it with over a ton of top soil.
My daughter takes after me they say and will have a go at most things, I let her help holding boards while I fixed them and even let her drill a few pilot holes and put a few screws in which she enjoyed. She doesn't mind getting her hands dirty, apparently you don't have to put up with dirty hands working at a laptop[emoji6]
My granddaughters wanted a boat [emoji38]
IMG-20190606-WA0010.jpeg
20190606_152455.jpeg
IMG-20190623-WA0000.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Paul, I must admit I did edit my reply and toned it down just for the snowflakes you understand.

Atoll, I tone down all my posts or I would get banned and the Mods would throw bags of dead clingfish on my doorstep, then ring my bell and run away.
I have PTSD and my "filter" doesn't work well any more And I am getting worse (as my wife tells me)

I am very opinionated, hard headed, stubborn, Patriotic and old so I try very hard to temper my feelings. I mean, I try very hard, :confused: I am sure you Brits are also Patriotic.

I know today many people are PC. That is fine but for the 3,000,000 years that people have been around, that was not always the case. It is now. But many people also never fought for their country and don't understand a lot of things us Geezers went through. We were not born yesterday and I like to "compliment" a "female" by calling her a "Lady" or opening up a door for her etc. OK, I don't throw my coat over a mud puddle so she doesn't get her shoes dirty. Well, Not any more anyway. :rolleyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, I tone down all my posts or I would get banned and the Mods would throw bags of dead clingfish on my doorstep, then ring my bell and run away.
I have PTSD and my "filter" doesn't work well any more And I am getting worse (as my wife tells me)

I am very opinionated, hard headed, stubborn, Patriotic and old so I try very hard to temper my feelings. I mean, I try very hard, :confused: I am sure you Brits are also Patriotic.

I know today many people are PC. That is fine but for the 3,000,000 years that people have been around, that was not always the case. It is now. But many people also never fought for their country and don't understand a lot of things us Geezers went through. We were not born yesterday and I like to "compliment" a "female" by calling her a "Lady" or opening up a door for her etc. OK, I don't throw my coat over a mud puddle so she doesn't get her shoes dirty. Well, Not any more anyway. :rolleyes:
Similar here Paul, old values, old ways. With my lady on my right when out so I can draw my sword in case a humpty, smacked or whatever thinks he can be what he is but not with me. Being patriotic isn't PC anymore and apparently PC doesn't stand for personal computer being an old geezer like your good self
When I repair or make things people are amazed and I don't understand it as most seems simple enough to me. But then I have never known a computer to fix anything I can do. Trouble is people are defeated before they even try. We live in a throw away society few want or have the limited skills needed to repair anything. Ask many a 20 year old to solder a loose wire and they will look at you confused and ask whats a wire. My next job is to repair this wall, cut a few copping stones to length and set them on the stepped wall. the copping stones would have been thrown away but a nice lady gave them to me FOC which saved her getting shut of them. I did do her a favour in return cos am a geezer.They will match the existing ones the previous house owner had got shut of after doing half a job to make room for a car to park. I will post a pic when done. Nothing so difficult and I will just use my angle grinder to cut around the stones then with a bolster chisel split them. Mix some mortar and lay the stones. What could be easier?
20190630_143733.jpeg
20190630_143758.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. I was just at our Pool (I am now in a condo and we have a pool) They threw everyone out of the water because they said the water wasn't going into the pool. The thing is 12' deep so I didn't understand what water going into the pool had to do with anything, the filter was still working. It seems that if the bathroom doesn't have water, they have to close the pool.
Anyway, they called me to find the problem. I have no idea where the water comes from to fill this pool but I decided to look anyway.

I go into the pump room and I see this big valve on top of the 12" main feed. The gauge reads zero so I say, it seems like there is no water coming into the main.

The pool guy tells me that gauge hasn't work in years. OK, thats not a problem. Anyway, I hear this work going on a quarter mile away. I find out the gardeners broke a sprinkler line and they shut off the main.
Simple fix, but people call me for everything.
If they see a meteorite they call me to ask where it's going. If there is a dead deer on the road, they ask me what hit it. Am I like Copernicus or the other dead guy with the predictions. I forget his name. :cool:

That reminds me of a story. I was crabbing once with my friends kid who was about 8 years old. He was pulling in the line with the chicken leg on it and the line was taut. I said he's still on the line. He said
Is-he. I said, How do you know his name is Issy? It went right over his head. :rolleyes:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back