Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll What are your main lights? Tank looks good.
@atoll What are your main lights? Tank looks good.
Radion XR30 pros gen 3 with a Orphek blue plus 90cm at the rear and a 120cm on the front both attached to the Radions.
20191105_163654.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approx 5'x2'x2' for the D&D tank
The RSR was approx 3'x1'8" x1'8" in old money as we say in the UK.
So nobody makes a tank to what zi want sump wise. I always end up completely redesigning it. Out goes all prefiltration like the 2 socks with this tank. Out came one of the bulkhead dividers. In goes some filter media in ky case Siporax in a DIY basket, an Oxydator and a waterfall algae turf scrubber. I would be better off with just a glass box and starting from scratch.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I were just talking about going back to California for more stem cell treatments (for her MS) but it is quite costly and the slight benefits only lasted for about 6 months.
We are really hoping and preying that something better comes along.

I posted this the last time we went in 2017 and figured I would post it again because I have nothing else to write:

This week I took my wife to La Jolla California for Stem Cell treatment for her Multiple Sclerosis. It is kind of an experimental treatment but we hope it works.

Before the "visit" began we spoke to the nurses a few times there on the phone and they were so nice I thought they were putting me on. The nurse asked my wife questions like they would before a medical procedure.

She asked my wife for her name, and my wife told her "Dale". The nurse said Oh, Awesome. Then she asked her for her birthday. My wife told her and the nurse said Wow, that’s so cool, thank you for telling me that. She asked her weight and said, Fur sure, totally awesome, you are so nice to tell me that. And the rest of the questions went like that. She didn't want to know anything about me or my fish tank.

I figured marijuana is legal there so maybe they were all "happy".

It was a six hour flight and they picked us up from the airport and brought us to the hotel where we checked in. The Supermodel at the desk spoke the same way and gave us cookies which were totally awesome, Fur sure.

The next day they brought us to the clinic where my wife will have the stem cell treatment. The Supermodel nurse comes in with the same attitude, thanking us and explaining the treatment and all that.

Then the doctor comes in with his arms stretched all the way out and says to my wife, First of all, let me give you a big hug. I don't remember any of my doctors here hugging me. Then the doctor explains her treatment to us for an hour and twenty minutes, all the while joking and making my wife at ease. She was really happy when the doctor told her that she doesn't have any belly fat so he has to harvest the fat from her thighs. (They get the stem cells from your fat) He couldn't believe her age and told her she is in the best shape out of almost anybody he treats and that she must spend a lot of time in the gym. She has gone to the gym four times a week for forty years. He didn't mention anything about my thighs or me not having any belly fat or anything.

After the treatment they bring us back to the hotel and call us to see how she is feeling and if she would like another hug, or cookies.

It was the nicest visit to not only a doctor’s office, but to anything.

We got home late last night and I see I got three E mails from them thanking us and asking how my wife is.

That entire experience is so different from a doctor’s visit here in New York.

A visit to the doctor’s office here would go something like this.

First thing in the morning you would call the doctor’s office and get elevator music with a recording that says "Your call is important to us, stay on the phone and your call will be answered by the next available operator". You would get that message twelve or thirteen times with 20-30 minutes of elevator music in between. Then someone would answer and say

"Please Hold."

Now you hear the music again with that same message.

You are now eating dinner with the phone on speaker on the table right next to the bread and mashed potatoes.

The operator comes on and says "can I help you?" You finish chewing and say: Yes, I am trying to make an appoin......... "OK, I will connect you with the appointment desk." Click

You hear:

"Your call is important to us, stay on the line and a representative will get back to you"

Now dinner is over and you are sitting on the couch watching TV with the phone still on speaker. It's hard to concentrate on the TV with Beethoven’s sixth symphony playing through the phone.

"Hello, can I help you? "

Yes, I would like to make an appointment.

"Sorry, the office is now closed; please call back in the morning."

After a few days you get an appointment the week after Easter. It is now December.

You get to the office and park, in the next town because the lot is full and there are a pickup trucks and wheelbarrows in all the handicap parking spaces.

Finally you get into the office and get in line at the desk. You grab lunch.

"The doctor will see you now"

The nurse or the lady who washes the windows shows you to the little room where you get naked, put on a paper gown and wait.

You finish your lunch while you read, "Pregnancy Today or Golf Magazine". Two things you wanted to read but never had the time.

The nurse comes in and asks for three forms of identification with a picture ID and wants to know your medical insurance group number and if they are still in business and how you will pay if the insurance doesn't cover you and how much money do you make as well as what kind of car you drive and what sign are you.

The nurse then says, what’s your name? "Paul", "How do you spell that?" Like the Saint, "Which Saint, Peter?"

No, "P" as in pin head, "A" as in "Are you kidding me", "U" as in are "U" kidding me, and "L" as in "Let me know the college you graduated from".

The nurse leaves.

After you are finished with Golf Digest and have learned 14 ways to breast feed in a subway, the doctor comes in. He doesn't hug you or look at you but looks at your chart and says. I don't see anything blaring here maybe you should see a Podiatrist.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so we were talking Lights?

I have no sump, pre filter, bulkheads, socks (except for the ones I am wearing) no media, Siporax (whatever that is) :cool:
Siporax is a simple biological media able to process both nitrite and nitrate. I dont have a lot of rock at the moment so the Siporax helps. Socks are for wearing not for putting in a reef tank. I don't think fish wear them anyway.
What lights? I dont see no lights. Its 11pm here light out.

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning my wife and I went to the Supermarket. We didn't see any Supermodels but as she was picking through eggplants, tomatoes and whatever I got bored and went over to the coffee machine where they also have a few tables.

There were three nice looking Ladies there and they were laughing and having a good time. A white Lady, a Black Lady and a Middle Eastern Lady. They asked my name and I said "Paul". They said Oh, like the Saint. Then they invited me to sit with them. They were very nice and friendly I was thinking, "I still got it."

Then they gave me one of those "Jehovah's Witness" Booklets and I realized, I got nothing. :confused:
Lol ! well you got to recognize they knew how to catch your attention. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I go back to the Surgeonfish who replaced my knee. After a year he told me I would be dancing like Gene Kelly in "Dancing in the Rain" but in a few weeks it will be a year and I am dancing more like a sea hare on Rogain.

The knee is about as painful as it was before the surgery so I am wondering if maybe they made a mistake and gave me one of Elvis Presley's used knees after he filmed "Jail House Rock".

I can go up and down stairs better than before but if I hear guitar music I start to gyrate.

The pain wakes me up at night and I am not a sleeper anyway.
The "good" knee is about as bad but I am afraid to get that one replaced until this one starts working better.
He may have to operate again but I don't want him to just make a hole and look around to see if he left a chisel in there. I would like a diagnoses before he starts to tear me open. :oops:

I need to be able to walk better because I help my wife walk and she doesn't walk that good and falls occasionally. It won't be good if we both fall. It's a good thing the rest of me works perfectly :cool:

Broken knees are only an annoyance. ;) I like going to this doctor because the nurses and doctors assistants are Supermodels. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back form the surgeon just now and it seems he wants to tear out my new titanium knee and try it again.
There is a problem with the plastic part that the titanium rubs against and it is not making the tendons happy so they go into spasm.

I am scheduled for the surgery in February but I am not sure I am going to go ahead with it. It will be another year recuperation and I don't want to put my wife through that as she needs me to be able to walk so I can help her walk.

If the both of us can't walk, we will have to buy a drum, fife and flag and walk down the street like that. :cool:

It won't get any better but it may not get much worse so I am thinking of trying to see if I can hold out for a year, like a real Man would do. :p

On another note, the doctor is near an LFS so I bought 3 fish which I just threw in my tank. Another possum wrasse, a bananafish and some other kind of wrasse that looks really cool.

The possum doesn't look to good but he didn't look to good in the store either. I think he will snap out of it and be fine as soon as he realizes where he is. :)

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back form the surgeon just now and it seems he wants to tear out my new titanium knee and try it again.
There is a problem with the plastic part that the titanium rubs against and it is not making the tendons happy so they go into spasm.

I am scheduled for the surgery in February but I am not sure I am going to go ahead with it. It will be another year recuperation and I don't want to put my wife through that as she needs me to be able to walk so I can help her walk.

If the both of us can't walk, we will have to buy a drum, fife and flag and walk down the street like that. :cool:

It won't get any better but it may not get much worse so I am thinking of trying to see if I can hold out for a year, like a real Man would do. :p

On another note, the doctor is near an LFS so I bought 3 fish which I just threw in my tank. Another possum wrasse, a bananafish and some other kind of wrasse that looks really cool.

The possum doesn't look to good but he didn't look to good in the store either. I think he will snap out of it and be fine as soon as he realizes where he is. :)

Sounds like it was a full knee replacement, not partial. Revision surgeries are a mixed bag. I have seen revision surgeries that were driven by patient discomfort and not definitively diagnosed, usually these ended with little improvement. If they are certain about the cause of your discomfort, then you may seriously want to consider getting it done sooner rather than later. None of us are getting younger and healing gets worse as time goes on. Just some food for thought. If that doesn't work out then I will culture some ich and infect your knee. It might just be too sterile right now ;-).

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shall I fire my welder up??

U

User1

View Badges

Always a tough decision with regards to knees, hips, etc. Funny thing is I just had a couple MRI's and X-rays on my hips and knees. During the MRI I let the lad know who was running the machine that I felt something in my left knee. He said no, not possible. I said sure, whatever but I do. Wrap up and I'm on the way home talking to my better half (she is a nurse and both works and manages the PICU) and tell her of my experience. She said no, shouldn't be the case unless you did something stupid you don't remember... (remember this bit).

Next day I go get my knee xrays and the technician comes back and asks me if I have any metal in my body. I say no. She said but you are ex-military. I said yes, but nothing like that happened. She says OK and spends about 20 minutes cleaning the machine and going over everything. Takes more pictures and calls me back to show me. Just above me left knee is a dot. Asks me again if I've been shot, any metal, etc. I said no. So she calls the doc.

Doc comes over. Looks at the xray, then at me, then xray again, back to me and says son, is that a BB in your leg? I'm like hell if I know. I haven't owned a BB gun for over 35 years but maybe in my youth I got hit and forgot about it. BB, pellet, whatever, but that is what I felt during the MRI :) On the way home I again talk to my better half and she laughed. Said - remember when I said you did something stupid...

Hope all works out well for you and your better half. And if you do make it out this way please ignore our politics. State is beautiful as you know but the other stuff, well - different. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BB would really light up an MRI machine. I once had a tiny staple in my sweat pants and the thing almost went on fire. :eek:

I don't think I have any shrapnel in me but I did have quite a bit of it. I took most of it out and the medic got it all out as it wasn't that deep and I have had quite a few MRIs since then. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only females we had in Nam were monkeys. After a year in the jungle, they looked pretty good. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a tough decision with regards to knees, hips, etc. Funny thing is I just had a couple MRI's and X-rays on my hips and knees. During the MRI I let the lad know who was running the machine that I felt something in my left knee. He said no, not possible. I said sure, whatever but I do. Wrap up and I'm on the way home talking to my better half (she is a nurse and both works and manages the PICU) and tell her of my experience. She said no, shouldn't be the case unless you did something stupid you don't remember... (remember this bit).

Next day I go get my knee xrays and the technician comes back and asks me if I have any metal in my body. I say no. She said but you are ex-military. I said yes, but nothing like that happened. She says OK and spends about 20 minutes cleaning the machine and going over everything. Takes more pictures and calls me back to show me. Just above me left knee is a dot. Asks me again if I've been shot, any metal, etc. I said no. So she calls the doc.

Doc comes over. Looks at the xray, then at me, then xray again, back to me and says son, is that a BB in your leg? I'm like hell if I know. I haven't owned a BB gun for over 35 years but maybe in my youth I got hit and forgot about it. BB, pellet, whatever, but that is what I felt during the MRI :) On the way home I again talk to my better half and she laughed. Said - remember when I said you did something stupid...

Hope all works out well for you and your better half. And if you do make it out this way please ignore our politics. State is beautiful as you know but the other stuff, well - different. Take care.

Couple of weeks ago I am looking at x-rays and see a plate and screws in a sinus. Asked the patient when did she have surgery. She gives me a blank look and tells me she has never had surgery. I figured that I was just being very vague. Asked if she ever broke her zygoma, nose, or had an elaborate sinus procedure. Keeps looking at me like I am crazy. I let it go because it doesn't affect what we are about to do. Next time I see her she tells me about a time 50+ years ago where she was "struck in the face and had a nose job" Lol she had completely forgotten about it like you did about the BB. I am sure that BB did not feel too good going in.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a pencil lead in my arm from playing handball in grammar school. It's kind of cool. :cool:

This morning we are going to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. We chartered a bus because it is 100 miles or so from here.
It is an Italian area of the Bronx that has been like that for decades and it one of the last really Italian areas left so we occasionally go there to get what we call good food. Here on Long Island they don't know what good food means.
(The stuff you get in a Supermarket will keep you alive but when you taste real food, there is a huge difference)

It is cash only because it is mob controlled which also makes it very safe. The restaurants are also dynamite with all the food imported from Italy as well as many of the Chefs.

No Menu's or prices, the guy just asks what you want and they make it. Then at the end, the guy says "Give me $200.00" or what ever it is. But it is rather reasonable.

Our Daughter went to Fordham University right near there so we used to go all the time. We also lived much closer.
Once I brought 7 of her friends there for dinner and forgot that it is cash only. Good thing I had money on my or I would have to sleep with the fishes, and I don't mean copper band butterflies. More like sea robins and blue claw crabs. And I doubt they will be quarantined.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back