Tank birthday, 47+ years

U

User1

View Badges
It was a different time. Unfortunately those times are gone and many people have no patriotism. Now it is all about what the Government can give me for free.

Yep, and it scares the crap out of me.

And those we elect are failing to do the one thing we vote them into office for and that is govern. Well, on that note it is Tuesday. Week is progressing and I hope you and yours have a great day. You are an amazing person to your family and the hobby - thank you for being you.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am trying to be Brad Pitt. I got the looks down, now for the other part. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I added 3 fish. I just threw them in after a little 10 minute acclimation. They are fine, maybe better than fine. Just like the 567 fish before them that died of old age after their social security ran out.

The Banana fish started to eat as he was falling from the net to my tank.

I don't acclimate long if the salinity is close to my tank and of course the temp. If my tank is a little warmer than the bag water I also don't worry as that has always been fine. Not ten degrees of course or if I have to chop the fish out of ice in the bag. :oops:

I have been reading all these posts about people buying fish with a little fin damage or some other minor ailment and they expose the fish to antibiotics. Then invariably the fish gets spots, so they add copper, then it gets cloudy eyes so they give it Prizapro. Then the fish dies and they write to Nancy Pelosi to sue the LFS. :eek:

It goes that way a lot, more times than not and maybe it's me, but I feel these people are taking perfectly healthy fish and making them sick beyond repair and killing them. I hate that as I love fish.
Fish in transport and during collection get beat up just like I got beat up "sometimes" when I was young. I got over it and sometimes beat up the other guy.

I have some spots on me also but I don't run to a doctor. A fish eating what he is supposed to eat in a place with real looking rocks that have some growth on them and not being chased by other fish will heal over night. Fins on a healthy fish grow faster than my nose hairs. ;Drool

But if you take almost any fish and put it in a bare tank with PVC pipes and treat it with anything, it will almost certainly get sick. And even if it doesn't, that fish will hate you. :(

No one reads this thread so I won't get arguments, but if I started a thread like this, I would be tarred and have fish scales stuck all over me. This seems so simple to me, but I have been called simple a few times. ;Bored

If you feel you want to observe a fish, maybe you bought it online or your X Girlfriend sent it to you in a burning bag with poop in it and put it on your door step, at least set up a real tank with real rocks from your reef. The ones with the hair algae, cyano, flatworms, diatoms etc.

Your fish will love you because that's just where they want to be.
The only times I have been in those sterile places is just before they operated on me and I have had 22 operations so I am an expert. Luckily they were all for Manly things like tearing or breaking something and no Sissy things like getting my tongue pierced or having my Gall bladder tattooed. :eek:

Now they want to replace my 11 month old knee. I wonder if I can have the old titanium knee to put in my tank. What could be more natural than that?

Of course then people will say that Titanium causes Pop Eye, black ich, fin rot, dropsy, coral bleaching and global warming ;Bucktooth

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I added 3 fish. I just threw them in after a little 10 minute acclimation. They are fine, maybe better than fine. Just like the 567 fish before them that died of old age after their social security ran out.

I don't acclimate long if the salinity is close to my tank and of course the temp. If my tank is a little warmer than the bag water I also don't worry as that has always been fine. Not ten degrees of course or if I have to chop the fish out of ice in the bag. :oops:

I have been reading all these posts about people buying fish with a little fin damage or some other minor ailment and they expose the fish to antibiotics. Then invariably the fish gets spots, so they add copper, then it gets cloudy eyes so they give it Prizapro. Then the fish dies and they write to Nancy Pelosi to sue the LFS. :eek:

It goes that way a lot, more times than not and maybe it's me, but I feel these people are taking perfectly healthy fish and making them sick beyond repair and killing them. I hate that as I love fish.
Fish in transport and during collection get beat up just like I got beat up "sometimes" when I was young. I got over it and sometimes beat up the other guy.

I have some spots on me also but I don't run to a doctor. A fish eating what he is supposed to eat in a place with real looking rocks that have some growth on them and not being chased by other fish will heal over night. Fins on a healthy fish grow faster than my nose hairs. ;Drool

But if you take almost any fish and put it in a bare tank with PVC pipes and treat it with anything, it will almost certainly get sick. And even if it doesn't, that fish will hate you. :(

No one reads this thread so I won't get arguments, but if I started a thread like this, I would be tarred and have fish scales stuck all over me. This seems so simple to me, but I have been called simple a few times. ;Bored

If you feel you want to observe a fish, maybe you bought it online or your X Girlfriend sent it to you in a burning bag with poop in it and put it on your door step, at least set up a real tank with real rocks from your reef. The ones with the hair algae, cyano, flatworms, diatoms etc.

The only times I have been in those sterile places is just before they operated on me and I have had 22 operations so I am an expert. Luckily they were all for Manly things like tearing or breaking something and no Sissy things like getting my tongue pierced or having my Gall bladder tattooed. :eek:

Now they want to replace my 11 month old knee. I wonder if I can have the old titanium knee to put in my tank. What could be more natural than that?

Of course then people will say that Titanium causes Pop Eye, black ich, fin rot, dropsy, coral bleaching and global warming ;Bucktooth

I'm with you a 100%! I do the same routine every time I get any fish as per what you've already been doing for centuries :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned my pumps and venturi valve in my skimmer. It's amazing the amount of stuff that grows on things in a salt tank. Everything is clogged with those hard tube worms, brittle stars and bristleworms, especially the intakes for the powerheads and I really hate those Korilia type pumps with the exposed grills, they are the worst and the hardest to clean. \

If I get ambitious I need to cut back the blue sponge because it wants to take over not only my tank, but my Man Cave.

I think the possum wrasse I added last week is fine but I am not sure because I have two of them and I rarely see one of them so I doubt I would ever see the both of them at the same time. There are a lot of hiding places in my tank so a lot of my fish I almost never see but those tend to be the fish I like the best.

I also have a huge decorator crab but I see him before the lights come on.

Those acropora "sticks" I added a few weeks ago which I thought croaked colored up nicely and are covering the epoxy that I stuck them on with.

I still haven't seen the last Queen Anthius I added a week ago, but as Queens, they do that and I am not concerned.

I took some video's
I wanted to get this purple guy. I think he is eating flatworms

I wanted to show the flow

U

User1

View Badges
Possum wrasses are pretty shy anyway. Well, not shy but they sort of hang out, live, and roam around the rock work and are reclusive. That is what I was looking for, reclusive. Especially if you have a mature tank and/or one with a lot of rock. A gift that keeps on giving because you know it is there if you are taking care of the tank and food requirements - so when you see it - it always brings a smile to your face.

I'm talking in third person I guess because you take care of your tank, etc - I was just saying they are reclusive and when you see them it brings a smile. I've always wanted one but still waiting a bit longer before I add one. I need another 5 to 8 months of tank maturity before I do.

Nice videos and thanks for sharing. I think you posted one previously and I actually saw your possum in it. Just for a brief moment. Great fish though they are. Hope you and yours are having a great Saturday.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many of us read your posts! You are hilarious.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Fish need very little aclimatisation the shorter the better. I float the bag for 10mins open it and allow the water to mix and the fish to swim out. IMO this reduces the stress not add to it. Many years ago I would switch my lights off and adjust the water in the bag to my tank water over an hour or more because that is what the "experts" told us to do. I know better now and am no expert. I just know what the fish I buy want more than to be stuck in a poly bag more than necessary getting more stressed.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had possum wrasses for quite a long time and it is a rare event to see them. My tank has so many hiding places that I sometimes find a fish I have not seen in over a year. I have yet to see the queen anthius I added a week ago, but I am sure I will unless she jumps out and the cat eats her.

I don't have a cat so that is a very remote possibility. :p

I also "think" I have two Gecko gobies but if you think possum wrasses are elusive, get one of those and you will have to remove all the rocks and water from your tank, then turn it up side down and you still won't find them.
I once had a cusk eel for 18 years. Never fed it or seen it eat. I found it by accident when I removed all the rock from the tank to see what was under the reverse UG filter. I killed it by accident because I didn't even realize I had the thing.

MMW64, thank you and don't tell anyone you read this thread or you may get banned not only from this forum, but from life itself. :oops:

Some people want me to prove things beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I can't do that and don't want to. I like intrigue like an enigma. ;)
More than half my fish I almost never see and there may be more fish in there that I know about.

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Fish need very little aclimatisation the shorter the better. I float the bag for 10mins open it and allow the water to mix and the fish to swim out.
I can’t think of anyone that would recommend mixing ‘other people’s’ water into your own system.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great!

ducati1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul I read all your threads and love how you do things. I am very similar with my tank. I like a "chunky" tank that has life in every corner not a polished museum piece.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read all my threads, you must be tired. :cool:

I hope I get the energy to trim some of my blue sponges today before they take over my Man cave. :rolleyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think of anyone that would recommend mixing ‘other people’s’ water into your own system.
I don't QT and when I put a fish in my tank even without adding water from the bag I am still putting water from the LFSs tank into my tank, unless I was to dry it off completely with a towel first maybe. Not had a problem in 30 years. I guess I am doing things wrong just like Paul.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't QT and when I put a fish in my tank even without adding water from the bag I am still putting water from the LFSs tank into my tank, unless I was to dry it off completely with a towel first maybe. Not had a problem in 30 years. I guess I am doing things wrong just like Paul.
A lot of noobs rinse the fish off in the sink with their sprayer to get the offending LFS water off the fish first. Then a quick pat dry with a paper towel. Then it is into the chemical bath. Then they wonder why their fish did not eat and then died....who knew? o_O :rolleyes:

ducati1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I dont put water from LFS anymore in my tank is allot of fish only tanks in LFS are treated tanks and separate from invert systems. I used to dump the bag right in when I had my nano and I actually lost some shrimp.

Now I just pour the bag into a net and plop em in my tank. No rinse.

If you know the tanks are not treated at the LFS its probably fine.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to put any LFS water in my tanks although I would like to add some of those fresh parasites. I just don't want the copper or whatever it is they add to their tanks.
I did kill some of my anemones once by doing that.

I just net the fish and throw them in except for the ones that can walk in themselves. :cool:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of noobs rinse the fish off in the sink with their sprayer to get the offending LFS water off the fish first. Then a quick pat dry with a paper towel. Then it is into the chemical bath. Then they wonder why their fish did not eat and then died....who knew? o_O :rolleyes:
I prefer an incinerator. Not only does it evaporate the LFS water, but it's also effective at curing ich and velvet. ;Happy

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, I am so glad you sometimes read my posts. Historically Mods or Staff members don't read what I write for fear I will say something so politically, religious, sexist, not PC or just to far out there to be in the public domain. It could happen because I am old but my friend Moses is older.

A fact: Did you now that Moses was the first one to download tablets from the cloud. :rolleyes:

For instance, I used to mix clams and worms with plaster of Paris and feed it to my reef. Yes i did.

I also like to use bricks under my rocks or feed frozen bananas to moorish Idols. Maybe they think it's a sponge, but they eat it.
I started my tank by adding garden soil. :cool:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back