OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerry, No. I hung up my Santa suit and donated it to a friends Son who will carry on the tradition. I did it continuously for almost 50 years and it was time.
Our Grand Kids would have known me as soon as they were born so I didn't try it on them after they were like a year old.

My wife also retired from that job that used to organize that trip and they don't do it any more.

That hospital trip was very rewarding but also very depressing and heartbreaking. It took a lot out of me as 40% of those kids never made it home.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerry, No. I hung up my Santa suit and donated it to a friends Son who will carry on the tradition. I did it continuously for almost 50 years and it was time.
Our Grand Kids would have known me as soon as they were born so I didn't try it on them after they were like a year old.

My wife also retired from that job that used to organize that trip and they don't do it any more.

That hospital trip was very rewarding but also very depressing and heartbreaking. It took a lot out of me as 40% of those kids never made it home.
God bless you. XO

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victoria, you are a Supermodel so you have no need to read my book as Supermodels can read my mind.
It only takes a minute or two. :rolleyes:
You scoundrel. :) flattery, and flowery words, and coral works on me.
I look forward to reading it. And I love fishbooks. adding yours to my small collection makes me happy. Knowing the purchase donates some money to research on such a dreadful disease makes me happy too.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can only imagine how difficult it would have been. I used to make Santa visits to group homes for severely autistic adults and for adults with Downs Syndrome, and that was always a challenge. Those trips would have been a cake walk compared to what you did.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Paul. Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas.

Paul, I received my UGF and it has (5) filter plates with (5) tubes. Filter plates allow water flow underneath all five plates. Running 50 gph through the tubes and placing my aquascape on top of the filter plates, should I use all (5) or (3) tubes?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use one tube for each plate. You want to try to get an even flow to all parts of the gravel.
Don't tell anyone you are using a UG filter or in 40 years people will be laughing at you. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my wife and I went to the National MS Society to donate some money.
As I said 100% of my books profits go to that cause and although so far I have not gotten a nickel, I gave them $500.00 plus the checks I received from Members here. (Thanks Brian)

Amazon waits 3 months before they send you any money but I assume I will get it eventually and if not, it is not a problem as it is a cause I would like to support.

The place is about 50 miles from my house and when we got there it was dark. I thought, Oh No, we drove all this way and they are closed. :oops:

But they had a door bell so I rang it. A Supermodel came to the door which made me happy and she invited us in and gave us coffee. :p

She is looking for a new home so I told her the place up stairs from us is for sale.
It's always nice to have a Supermodel living upstairs. But she didn't go for it. ;)

She and the other girl/woman/female/she person/human being (I want to be politically correct) were very nice and we talked for a while as they were the only people in the place.

They will send a thank you letter to the people who donated and I told them to lose the addresses of those people because you know what happens when you donate to something. They camp out on your doorway for more money so just ignore them if that happens as you guys did enough and we are eternally grateful. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great and the few SPS that I thought would croak are growing "arms" all over the place.
My old copperband who I have not seen eat in a month is also fine and doesn't look like he lost any weight, kind of like me. :rolleyes:

I am also surprised my janss pipefish is still living as I never thought that fish would make it but I have him maybe 4 years or so. I never remember these things. But I do know that in 14 months my tank will be running for 50 years. o_O
I am kind of proud of that. I am also proud that I got to this age.

The only paired fish I have continuously spawn, thats fireclowns and watchman gobies. One of them is obviously a Watchgirl.

My Hippo tang is beautiful (because I never quarantined, medicated, dipped or sang to) She is a little fat but doesn't have a mark on her. I have also never fed her any greens, just clams, worms and LRS food like everything gets but I do have some algae growing although I have never seen her eat any of that. I wish she would.

I "think" I have two possum wrasses but they hide so good that I have never seen the two of them at the same time so I am not sure if I have one or two.

My new Starburst Anthius only comes out into the open if I shut the lights, don't play Rap music and put a bag over my face. If I get back to that LFS that has them I will get another one as they are kind of nice and not very common like those silly tangs that I find boring.

I also have a very large long spined urchin that I think I got as a tiny baby. I have no recollection of buying it but It must have been ten years ago. I think I got it in a place in Flushing and I have not been there in at least that long.

My female bluestripe pipefish is very well and I would like to get her a male but my much bigger Janss pipefish doesn't play well with male pipefish of any species and he killed my last one.
The Janss Pipefish is about 4 times larger than the bluestripes.

I also need a male for my female Mandarin. Her mate died probably of old age. I think they only live about 10 years but I lost his birth certificate so I don't know.

I really should write down when I get these fish.

My wife has been a lot of pain lately and tomorrow is going to get fitted for a leg brace which is supposed to help her walk better. I hope so but unfortunately it will do nothing for the pain and fatigue.

Maybe some of the money I gave the MS society will hasten a treatment in our lifetime.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Christmas my Son N Law gave me a book about the Dawn of man and how we evolved over a few million years.
I actually love this kind of stuff especially the fact that we are the last of dozens of Hominids that were "almost" human.

I feel some people today still fit into that category but I won't go into that. :rolleyes:

I find it amazing when these anthropologists find a relic like I was just reading about. They found a "piece" of a tooth
and a tiny piece of bone fragment from a femur.

From that they named the "Guy" with a Latin name. He was from Africa so maybe his name was Latin like Homer or Moses as opposed to Jim, Bill, Eddie or Bubba

They surmised he walked upright, probably with a Manly swagger, wore stylish clothes, ate buffalo wings and hot dogs.
Preferred red wine, was a decent dancer. Didn't like Rap music, preferring the classics and his Mother was a Sagittarius.

Then they had an artist rendering of the guy and he looked like Ringo Starr.
I am amazed they can get all of this from a tooth and bone fragment. ;Meh

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Christmas my Son N Law gave me a book about the Dawn of man and how we evolved over a few million years.
I actually love this kind of stuff especially the fact that we are the last of dozens of Hominids that were "almost" human.

I feel some people today still fit into that category but I won't go into that. :rolleyes:

I find it amazing when these anthropologists find a relic like I was just reading about. They found a "piece" of a tooth
and a tiny piece of bone fragment from a femur.

From that they named the "Guy" with a Latin name. He was from Africa so maybe his name was Latin like Homer or Moses as opposed to Jim, Bill, Eddie or Bubba

They surmised he walked upright, probably with a Manly swagger, wore stylish clothes, ate buffalo wings and hot dogs.
Preferred red wine, was a decent dancer. Didn't like Rap music, preferring the classics and his Mother was a Sagittarius.

Then they had an artist rendering of the guy and he looked like Ringo Starr.
I am amazed they can get all of this from a tooth and bone fragment. ;Meh

Imagine what they will write soon when they find your original knee Paul! Should be a good read!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting it done again, and soon I will get the other one done, so they will find 3 knees and figure our kind had three legs. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any wave pumps. just normal powerheads.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why but I don't always get notifications when there are new posts on your thread Paul. Maybe it's this Chinese made Samsung phone blocking them now and again or the CIA are Intercepting them who knows.
Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your good lady and I hope 2020 will be a much better year than most of the poor fish that have to endure that awful QT thing and cocktail of poisons.
BTW when you get your new new knees will you have to go into QT in case you get itch in them. I can send you a itch scratcher FOC but the postage might be a bit expensive.
Cheers mate.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, I hope they don't want to quarantine me after my knee surgery because I know I will croak if they do. I don't even want to be fresh water dipped.
When I post something I will write you a letter and send it to you snail mail.

NDIrish. I have a couple of 30 year old internal impeller pumps and 2 Korilia's which I hate because they get all full of growth and I can't clean them. You just have to throw them out after a few years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back