Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the U.S. whenever someone sues they have to demonstrate harm. It's hard to imagine a judge here awarding much of a settlement for the loss of value of the trimmings.
Not sure anybody here in the UK has ever tried to sue for such a thing but the law states the hedge belongs to however planted it and so do any cuttings. I think your at least supposed to offer them back.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the US any bushes that overgrow into your property are yours to do what you will with them.
We have nice neighbors and come to my side to trim them and take away the cuttings.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prototype of new model of aiptasia injector. It has an 18" tube on it and I can change the needle by just sliding it out.
It is shown here full of Luguls Iodine which is something I am testing in the thing. So far the aiptasia have a nice red tinge but I am not sure if they will croak or love the stuff and do the macarana.

I also want to try metheline blue. I don't care if that kills them, but how cool will they look?

I already tried hydrogen peroxide and I think that has aiptasia vitamins in it.
I know battery acid or boiling, almost anything will work, but I am having fun

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prototype of new model of aiptasia injector. It has an 18" tube on it and I can change the needle by just sliding it out.
It is shown here full of Luguls Iodine which is something I am testing in the thing. So far the aiptasia have a nice red tinge but I am not sure if they will croak or love the stuff and do the macarana.

I also want to try metheline blue. I don't care if that kills them, but how cool will they look?

That looks like fun, but how do you press the plunger down?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a nylon cord that you can see attached to the plunger that goes up the tube to a trigger on top above the water.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a thread on UR, someone mixed caustic soda and slaked lime with a little water to kill the buggers... don’t get it on your skin though, it’s a pretty nasty mixture...

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences, @Paul B. Hope he rests in peace.

Great tank. You’re an inspiration to us all. Now, before this greenhorn comes anywhere close to you, let’s hope I can get to the 10-year mark for all my fish and the tank. xD

What is that Cardinalfish btw? Is it an Ochre Striped? Where I am I can only find Pajamas on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that Cardinalfish btw? Is it an Ochre Striped? Where I am I can only find Pajamas on a regular basis

Which cardinal fish? I probably wouldn't know the name unless I looked it up as I have a lousy memory for names. I was married for 10 years before I stopped calling my wife "Hey You" :rolleyes:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one.

FD9E89E7-2480-41D1-9A00-F8A5566AB696.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that guy. It was sold as a stripped cardinal, so thats what I call it. But I have two that look very similar, but are different and they don't get along. The other one is twice the size.
This is that one you pictured.

Both of them are in here somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't keep track of how long my fish live unless something earth shattering happened the day I bought them, but I normally buy all my fish as babies. I think I bought those two cardinals together and probably thought they were the same species. But they are not. I could guess they may be 5 years old. But it's a guess and could be off by 4 1/2 years. :oops:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with three of the Ocher Striped Cardinals but within a couple of weeks I was down to one. I never saw any aggression between them so I can't say whether they killed each other off or if they just weren't healthy to begin with. The remaining one has grown to a good size. I see them from time to time at the LFS, but I've been reluctant to add another one.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the weather was beautiful here today. 72 degrees and sunny so after I washed my car (again) my wife and myself took a walk down the stairs to the beach.

On the way down I noticed that the water was absolutely perfect and clearer than I have ever seen it. You can't tell from that lousy picture but about 50 yards out I can see the rocks on the sea floor. It was like the Caribbean. :p

As soon as I got home I packed up my collecting stuff and headed down to a beach where I could back up almost to the water to collect.

I backed up, threw the pump into the sea. Started filling vats.

And it started raining. :(

You really can't catch a break. How does the rain know when I will be collecting water. :unsure:

thumbnail.jpg

But it wasn't like Noah's flood so I finished collecting and have 40 gallons.
I almost don't have to filter it and could probably get by with just straining out the chopped up seaweed and discarded copies of my book but I figured I will break out the diatom filter for this and before I clean the thing I will just throw it in my tank because I know my fish just love it when I diatom filter the water.

Usually I do it once or twice a year but now with almost nothing to do, I do it all the time just to see the bubbles. :rolleyes:

The alk was 6 and the temp is 52 so I may have to heat it a little.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul not far from where I now live about a 45 min drive there is a beach with excellent water quality. Now this is the Irish sea we talking cold water at that. I know of people who drive there and fill containers of water. Many only use it as it comes out of the sea with no prior filtration. Many will.pre heat it of course before using it and they all report no issues and good results. There are a couple of LFSs who sell.it so is at least one person is collecting a large amount to sell to the LFSs perhaps with a tanker or at least large containers on a flatbed or other.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it. A large public aquarium here has a tanker truck that they collect it in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back