Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
They don't hurt the coral unless they spawn, then, forgetaboutit
 
This is the part of my tank that was leaking. It is the final DI chamber and it comes just before the water enters the tank from the DIY ATO. I just added an overflow tube to it that hopefully will not clog.
 
I just got back from the south shore where I was at my friends house on the water. I picked up a load of amphipod infested seaweeds which I just put in a live bearer trap hanging in my reef. In a couple of days I will remove most of the seaweed which will die in the tank. I just want the bacteria and amphipods along with anything else that is alive.
Tomorrow I will go to my boat which is on the north shore and collect again.
You can't have to much life in a tank and you have to take advantage of it if you can
 
One of my clown gobies disappeared which is a relief. She probably died of old age or just retired as she laid eggs every week for a couple of years and between her and her boy friend killed a large acropora by covering it with eggs. I think that was their intention all along.
I am not going to replace her as I still got her boyfriend and he looks like he is also getting on in years. They don't have a very long lifespan, maybe 5 years or so. The rest of the fish are doing great and many of them are still spawning. I don't know exactly hao many fish I have as some of them hide for weeks and I rarely get a glimps of them. The pistol shrimp are still digging up the tank and making things fall.
A large montipora was overgrown by an encrusting gorgonian that grew faster and it killed it. But that is a good thing as it is normal (but expensive)
It is perfectly normal for corals to out grow neighboring corals and kill them, that is what they are supposed to do. I didn't put the montipora or gorgonian there, they just grew there so it was not up to me to move them. Survival of the fittest happens in the sea and in a mature, healthy tank.
 
My wife is slowly coming along and hardly needs the walker any more. She can't do back flips yet but neither can I. Well I can, but only once.
In a few days she will graduate to a cane and in a few weeks lose that. She goes to therapy twice a week and is healing well. The place where they took the bone graft hurts more than the main surgery but she is so much better every day.
Thanks.
Paul
 
Yes that is awesome thanks. But so is my almost two year old Grand Daughter, Greta. :high5:

 
One of my banana fish has a very severe case of Pop eye and if I could catch him, I could cure him in 5 seconds but he doesn't believe me and as soon as I approach the tank with a hypodermic needle, he hides. Go figure. It is healing and now most of the gas bubble has migrated to his forehead which makes him look like a Cyclops. If I get ambitious I will break out the fish trap and try to get him, just because he looks freakish and probably can't read well as one eye is facing the wrong direction.
He will probably get back to normal in a couple of weeks or so.
I am also having a hard time feeding the copperband as he eats a very expensive meal a couple of times a day. He has grown a little larger than I would like and those things like to eat continousely with no regard to how much worms cost. Yesterday I bought some chowder clams which should last a while.
My mandarins are nice and healthy looking but I am not sure if they spawned in a couple of months. My wife's hospital stay put a dent on my fish feeding and they had to go some days fending on their own, which is fine. Mandarins are a very low maintenance fish and you don't have to feed them. They will live fine in a tank with a lot of pods. My tank has plenty of pods and I even feed the pods pellets a couple of times a day.
But if you want mandarins to be really healthy and spawn, they often need additional feedings of worms and baby brine shrimp.
My possum wrasse is still very cool looking as are my pipefish.
I went to a store yesterday and almost bought some purple firefish but I know they jump out as I have lost everyone I ever bought like that. I mentioned that if I buy certain fish like firefish, jawfish or ribbon eels, to save time, when I buy such fish, I just open the bag and throw them on the floor. It's like if I go to Atlantic City or Vegas. As soon as I enter the casino, I walk past the slot machines, craps tables and roulette wheels, find the nearest garbage can and throw in 4 or $500.00. Then I leave the casino and go out for a good time. Why would you want to waste a day losing when you can save time by throwing away the money quickly and move on.
 
Glad to hear your wife is recovering well, Paul!

How's the clown goby doing since the loss of his lady? Glad to hear everyone else is doing well, aside from Banana the Pop Eye fish. You never know, though, maybe he was just trying to be "trendy".
 
The banana fish is recovering nicely and my acropora's are very happy that one clown gobi disappeared as they laid eggs all over it. The corals are recuperating nicely and the one gobi don't bother it at all.
My wife is also doing very well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new