OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight we are having dinner guests. Two of out very close friends, my wife went to high school together and I used to drive the both of them home from school.
Anyway 2 hours ago he called screaming that he has a flood, water all over his house and he can't use any water because it all comes out under his toilet bowl in his basement. Now I don't want them to cancel dinner because my wife and I were cooking all day and he is a Vegan which I don't understand because he is about 300lbs. He must eat a lot of grapes or he grazes in his yard all night. I told him it is cheap to cook for him because I did all my shopping in a sod farm.
I race over to his house and jump into the flood in his basement where he has enough food stored for WW3. I never saw so much canned food in my life.
So I assess the situation and see for one thing that his toilet bowl has no bolts holding it down. OK, water still should not come out from there unless you flush "that" bowl. So I know the Main trap is clogged and any water used in the house will come out the lowest place. (I was a plumber in another life) I need to open the trap.
The trap is under a DIY cabinet that some Jiboni built before he bought the house 20 years ago. Then another "architect" built a wall in front of this 8' long cabinet so it can't be removed without sawing it in 3 parts. Of course it if filled with every type of canned food there is. Beans, pickles, olives, onions, tuna fish. I could eat for two years just with what was on the top shelf.
So we make a line and hand out all the food so we can move the cabinet to the opposite wall about 10" away. Luckily I am only 11" wide so after we moved the cabinet, I snaked myself back there. It was hard because the water main is also back there and I had to crawl under it.
Now I am back there wedged in thinking how am I going to get out as I am not exactly 20 years old any more. As I am thinking, something lands on my head. Then I feel something else land on my arm, then something jumps in my eye. It is pitch dark because they are still looking for a drop light. Things are jumping all over me, on my head, my eyes etc. Then I feel something crawling up my leg, AAAAAAAAAAAAGggggggggghhhh
They are all over me. My friend comes with the light and yells, ARE THERE ANY CRICKETS BACK THERE?.. Oh yeah, you got crickets. I am surprised you have any food left because you have a cricket Zoo back here.
Then I see sticky cricket traps loaded with crickets. There were so many crickets on those traps that they were giving each other mouth to mouth resuscitation. I am swatting them off of me as they were annoying especially females who I think were coming on to me if you know what I mean.
So I look for the 3" plugs that cover the trap but of course they are covered in dirt and crickets that died of old age or rickets, (get it, rickets) This is a true story by the way.
I dig out the dirt and pry out the cap, water comes flooding out. This is not RO/DI water either.
I ask for a shop vac. Of course he doesn't have one. Now who doesn't own a shop vac! So he runs to his neighbors to get one while I am getting swarmed by these little devils and I can barely take a breath because I am on my knees wedged in between the dead cricket covered cement wall and this old cabinet with the water main sticking me in the ear.
He finally runs in with the shop vac. He puts it on the top of the cabinet and turns it on. I suck out all the "stuff" in the trap after we empty this 15 gallon shop vac three times and now the pipe is clear.
I crawl back out with a little help and they are on their way here.
I doused myself with Clorox and took two showers.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends always call me when something like that happens because they know that as they are talking to me, I have one foot pointed towards the door. We have very close friends from high school and even grammar school so you need to help as soon as you can. They just left and have to go home to a really wet house with canned food piled up all over the place, but at least they can use their water now.
I will go there in a few days to build some shelves that don't cover the trap.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done, I built him two nice cabinets up to the ceiling so now he can buy more pickles and beans. :D

I would never leave one of my friends in a predicament like that and my friends know that which is why they know they can call me at any hour for any problem. That's why I have friends from grammar school and I would do anything for them.
Another friend called me once when her husband was soldering some plumbing pipes in a small closet and he fainted from the fumes or lack of oxygen. It was in the middle of the night so I had to go there and fix the pipe because they couldn't turn on the water.
But the best one was when we were going to a wedding. WE were supposed to pick up our friends on the way. He was finishing his basement. Just before we left, he calls me screaming (I get that a lot) saying he broke his water main coming into his basement. You can't shut that off because the valve is out by the street buried somewhere in his grass a couple of feet down. By the time you find it, you will have to get out a canoe to get through your basement.
So I run to my friends plumbing supply and get a slip fit fitting and bring my wedding clothes to his house. Our wife's go to the wedding. My friend is no dope so he found a broom handle, shaved it down and banged it into the broken pipe stopping the water, but only after 50 gallons or so of water flooded his newly finished basement.
I have the slip fitting ready, we open all the faucets and we put on our SCUBA goggles and snorkels. No really. I know as soon as we remove that broom stick, water will shoot out so fast, we won't be able to see. So we are ready and he tries to take out the broom stick. It won't move. It swelled up in the pipe. Now we have to cut the pipe. Before we do, we prepare another broom stick in case this doesn't work. Now we are wearing large plastic garbage bags with our heads sticking out, SCUBA masks and snorkels and start cutting the pipe. Water is gushing out in all directions as we cut, the water is hitting the walls, our faces and everywhere in 8' sweeps. Good thing we had the masks or we wouldn't be able to see. Now I am feverishly trying to connect the two cut ends of the pipe together but it is hard due to the deluge so we are working by feel.
We finally get the two ends of the pipe in this fitting and clamp it down.
The water stops and is now coming out the faucets. We carefully shut those off one by one and there are no leaks.
That was 25 years ago and that pipe has not leaked yet.
After the wedding I went home and immediately put a bracket on my water main so it can't be moved.

Last edited:

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that you have a more natural way of running you tank and that you fish last longer than using alot of medicines and chemicals. What is your Secret? Can you help a newbie, I need all the help I can get [emoji2]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that you have a more natural way of running you tank and that you fish last longer than using alot of medicines and chemicals. What is your Secret? Can you help a newbie, I need all the help I can get [emoji2]
He did a very entertaining write up on it that you can read here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-make-a-tank-last-for-40-years-with-few-problems.290237/

I feel this is the best possible way to run a tank but unless you have fairly easy access to live, fresh seafood it will either be a challenge or very expensive.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida so not a big problem but I am surprised sometimes how hard it is to find fresh oysters.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thank you so much, I thought there was probably a post about it.
He's created a few posts about it. Unfortunately, they are not always well received. :( Some people will even tell him to stick a sea urchin spine in his eye! :eek::p

Just remember there is more to his system than not using a QT and proper nutrition. He runs ozone in his skimmer which will keep parasite populations down. He runs a reverse under gravel filter which he credits to his success. He keeps his system very stable and doesn't constantly dump new products in it like some of us tend to do. It is really an amazing thing he has going.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to read it. I just would rather my fish have a good immune system than to dump chemicals in there. I'm sure I won't be as successful as he is but he is an inspiration to me. And funny as h*ll too [emoji1]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back