OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 5:45 am and as soon as I can see a little light I will be taking by bike out and heading for the beach.
I got to keep these old bones working and walking up and down a cliff, 176 steps is all I need.

I can't believe with two bum knees I can still do that. The steps don't bother me as long as I don't turn either knee to one side even a little. That makes it hard to turn so I have to keep walking in a straight line. :cool:

Yesterday I couldn't find my bubble coral. I had just used my diatom filter to clean some cyano and I must have blew the thing away.
I found it all the way in the back under rocks and I had to remove a lot of rock to rescue it. My fireclown kept biting me. You would think that after 28 years he would start losing his teeth, or at least start going senile. But I think he will outlast me in that respect. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back from my early morning Bike ride and I didn't get eaten by any deer. I did notice some of them being beamed up to a UFO though :oops:

This was over the golf course across the street from my house. But I don't play golf.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a great deal. I went into an LFS and got a bunch of acropora pieces about 6" long and a really nice gorgonian for $60.00
Of course I am covered in crazy glue and epoxy, but it was worth it.

It's all in my tank and so far looks real happy. :cool:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning Paul! Me and my wife are going to be on long island the end of next month fo a family function and I'm wondering if there's any fish/coral stores that you recommend for us to visit while we're there? I believe that we will be in Suffolk county.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are few and far in between. I go to "Aqua Hut" which is a big but filthy place on exit 64 on the LIE.
The owner has no phone. Don't go near the bathroom. No, I mean Really.

His prices are very low, stupidly low and he has a wide variety of fish, but very few corals. Sometimes I get a great deal, like I just did.

There is another place, I forgot the name just now but it is even bigger, neater but the prices are very high and I don't like the people. They even have a huge pond in there with geese in it. That's big.

There are no other stores out here unfortunately worth mentioning.

Where are you going in Suffolk. I can send you my number if you want to know about any stores or other sights here. We are totally full of wineries, and we have a Vodka distillery.
Great beaches and places to collect water.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are few and far in between. I go to "Aqua Hut" which is a big but filthy place on exit 64 on the LIE.
The owner has no phone. Don't go near the bathroom. No, I mean Really.

His prices are very low, stupidly low and he has a wide variety of fish, but very few corals. Sometimes I get a great deal, like I just did.

There is another place, I forgot the name just now but it is even bigger, neater but the prices are very high and I don't like the people. They even have a huge pond in there with geese in it. That's big.

There are no other stores out here unfortunately worth mentioning.

Where are you going in Suffolk. I can send you my number if you want to know about any stores or other sights here. We are totally full of wineries, and we have a Vodka distillery.
Great beaches and places to collect water.
I'll find out exactly where we will be staying and let you know. We will be there from Friday through Monday. Our oldest daughter lives in Brooklyn and will be coming out to see us while we're there. The 27th, Sunday, will be our exploring day.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklyn is a couple of hours from here. I was born there. :cool:
Where are you coming from and are you going to take the Ferry?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend was pretty good. We went with another couple who have been our good friends for over 40 years to a very small town in Vermont called Poultney. Don't look on a map.

Our Daughter owns a vacation home there. Anyway we live on Long Island so we took the ferry to Bridgeport Connecticut.
This is the Port Jefferson/Bridgeport Conn. Ferry.

The ride is a little over an hour. But it's a nice ride and the weather was perfect. The ship crosses over the Long Island Sound where I did most of my boating.

After the ferry we drove almost 5 hours to the house which is on a mountain up a dirt road, a few miles from anything that resembles civilization.

It's a really nice farm house.
They also have a couple of these, that we used to go up and around the mountain. Our friends also had one and he had to keep stopping every time his wife saw a wildflower she wanted.

That pond there is man made and is loaded with frogs, like millions of them. It was a stream and they dammed it up a little to make that pond. They used to stock it with trout and maybe Manta Rays but now there are only frogs and newts.

We couldn't make it all the way up the mountain like we normally do because one of the 17 bridges was out and looked like if a small horseshoe crab tip toed across it, it would collapse sending you about 5' down a small, rocky ravine.

You wouldn't croak, but that ATV wouldn't fare to well.

They have this swing next to the pond under the apple trees.

Coming down back to the house we noticed this cow. Being born in Brooklyn I don't know too much about cows except that they squeeze them to get milk. :rolleyes:

Also, being I went to high school and everything I noticed he was on the "road" and not a few feet away behind the "enclosure", which was a piece of wire about 18" off the ground, so I figured cows were not the smartest creatures. ;Meh

I told my Son N Laws Father who lives there about the cow. He called the caretaker, who is a close to 80 year old Lady who can hardly walk to go and rustle the cow back to where ever cows live.
She wasn't real happy about that but I can't write the "colorful" language she used here as my computer would catch fire. :eek:

I am not sure how she was able to lift the cow the 18" over the wire to put her back either.

On Saturday they had the biggest event that they have in this town. I am fairly sure it is the only event they have in that town. It's a chili cook off where they all make chili and people vote on which is the best. You buy a cup for $7.00 and you can taste all the chili.

All the townspeople come to this, all 12 of them. I noticed a sign informing you of the rules on what you can put in the chili, and in big letters it read, "NO ROAD KILL OF ANY KIND" at this event. So I assumed at other events you can use that as it is all over the place. We saw (and smelled) Skunks, porcupines, possums, many racoons, deer, beavers, birds, and I swear one of them was an Emu.

The chili I assume was delicious but I didn't try it as I am sure there was something in it that would kill me.

They have a General Store there that is also the post office. It was built in 1730 and still has the horse hitching posts outside. They sell some ready made food but That sign about the road kill turned me off to that. ;Bucktooth

WE got to the ferry an hour early and we tried to get on that earlier boat. They were not sure if they could fit us on, but they squeezed and that is my car, that red Jeep. I told them I would get on even if my back wheels were off the back.

On our way home, from the ferry I saw my next boat. :p

Last edited:
Back