OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My workbench is so empty now. I really hope that last glass piece doesn't sell because I wanted to keep that one for myself.
I started building another one. I have a vintage battery charger from probably 1910 or so which will hopefully turn into something interesting.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on my 4 newer pieces of SPS acropora that I had originally thought were dying are growing faster than they should be. I think it's from the clam juice I have been adding by feeding clams.
I also have not been rinsing the clams because I have so much sponge growing that there is no need.

I have been feeding more clams than usual because my copperband has some sort of neurological problem and can't get his mouth close enough to food to snap it up so he is getting frustrated. He is actually getting worse and there isn't mush I can do about it.

But the coral is all growing new "arms".

Besides my fireclowns spawning my watchman gobies are also spawning but now they are the only paired fish I have.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw in a couple and they always paired and spawned. I would assume they change sex but I am not sure.
These do have a shrimp friend.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish are probably my favorite fish, I wish they had longer life spans. 3 or 4 years is not great so I have to get new ones all the time.
Here in my video I have had many of them.

Good morning Paul, what is this pipefish (similar to a Rainbow stick popsicle) specimen at the start of your pipefish video here. The one with the prominent Yellow body ... looks like it's bigger than the Blue Stripes.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is a Janss pipefish. Kind of hard to find. He is about 7" long

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help trimming some sponge. The stuff is growing to close to the glass and I am having trouble getting the magnet cleaner in there. I trim the stuff all the time but I let it go to long and it is covering many corals. My arms aren't long enough and since I got a "little" older, my dexterity isn't what it used to be, but I can still build Steam Punk stuff. :p

The top of the tank is at armpit level so I have to stand on a small stool to get my hands in there and I have to wear a glove so the fireclown doesn't rip my arm off.

I use a small razor knife to cut the sponge, which cuts easy but it does stick to the rocks a little and is the consistency of something between leather and Silly Putty.
I throw out the sponge as I trim it as I have no use for it but it is probably growing inside my plumbing. :cool:

So If anyone has nothing to do and wants to trim some stuff, let me know. You can keep all the sponge you cut and I will throw in a bottle to put in your tank. I had to remove some. I am on Long Island NY near Riverhead.
I am not Humblefish so you don't have to boil your arms in Hydrogen Peroxide then soak them in copper to put them in my tank. As a matter of fact, I would rather you change your oil or plant a tree first.

I will even give you one of my books. In case you want to put in an undergravel filter. :cool:

Last edited:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, this may seem like a silly question, but does your blue sponge look wet? Mine gets some really shiny patches on it that makes it look as though the rest of the sponge is dry and the patches are wet.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white sponge which stays away from the light. I have cut it back and is quite tuff but using a sharp knife it's not difficult. It resides under an overhang in the far front corner of my tank.
20191210_143714.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gets some really shiny patches on it that makes it look as though the rest of the sponge is dry and the patches are w

It does look "wet" but not extremely shiny.

Atoll, I also have a bunch of those under the rocks. I think I have way to much sponge.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look "wet" but not extremely shiny.

Atoll, I also have a bunch of those under the rocks. I think I have way to much sponge.
Sponges are so 1970's. You guys should try loofahs. ;Troll

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a large pineapple sponge population a good thing? I thought they would go away on their own but it’s been 6 months now and they are still everywhere they can find shade. My tank is really healthy, just wondering if this is good, bad, or indifferent.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a large pineapple sponge population a good thing? I thought they would go away on their own but it’s been 6 months now and they are still everywhere they can find shade. My tank is really healthy, just wondering if this is good, bad, or indifferent.
Personally, I see sponges as the sign of a healthy tank that also help keep a tank healthy. You probably feed a bit heavy, but they are filter feeders and clean your water. I would be grateful to have them if I were you.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tons and my corals are happy. I wonder if the ULNS manage to keep much sponge?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons and my corals are happy. I wonder if the ULNS manage to keep much sponge?
why anyone would want to run a UNLS is beyond me...Just ask any farmer if they would ever try removing all the nitrates and phosphates from the soil!

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is growing like a cup coral. It doesn't have any shiny patches right now. It comes and goes.

Attachments

• 20191210_133506.mp4
    11.8 MB

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back