Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been very pleased with the progress of my copperband since I got it. Was a bit worrying at first getting it to eat but it's fine now, even cleared any Apts I had in my tank. IMO certainly one of the best VFM fish you can buy.
Just taken these pics of it feeding from my mussel shell feeder and flanked by my 2 cleaner wrasse outriders.
20200619_212143.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few minutes ago I was typing here, probably some nonsense and I started smelling something. It smelled fishy. I turned around and my tank looked like I was making egg nogs in it. The water was all cloudy and I could barely see the back glass.

I said to myself OMG, my tank is crashing and I should have listened to Humblefish and quarantined everything.
I quickly looked for something dead. But I just fed the fish 15 minutes ago and everything looked fine. Besides, my fish don't die, they are kind of immortal. :rolleyes:

As I was looking for the cause, I noticed a huge, white cloud exuding from under one of my large anemones.
At first I thought it was spawning, but anemones don't spawn like that. They split, like this one has done three times.
Urchins spawn exactly like that and have a few times but although I have a large long spined urchin he was on the other side of the tank.

There are no corals under the anemone because like Duh. they would be stung to death.
The anemone is the only place that white "misty" stuff could have come from.

I quickly got out my diatom filter and hooked it up to the tank.
It is starting to clear up and the sponges should suck up the rest.

This may be a common occurrence in my tank because contrary to popular opinion, I have a life and don't look at my tank all day.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few minutes ago I was typing here, probably some nonsense and I started smelling something. It smelled fishy. I turned around and my tank looked like I was making egg nogs in it. The water was all cloudy and I could barely see the back glass.

I said to myself OMG, my tank is crashing and I should have listened to Humblefish and quarantined everything.
I quickly looked for something dead. But I just fed the fish 15 minutes ago and everything looked fine. Besides, my fish don't die, they are kind of immortal. :rolleyes:

As I was looking for the cause, I noticed a huge, white cloud exuding from under one of my large anemones.
At first I thought it was spawning, but anemones don't spawn like that. They split, like this one has done three times.
Urchins spawn exactly like that and have a few times but although I have a large long spined urchin he was on the other side of the tank.

There are no corals under the anemone because like Duh. they would be stung to death.
The anemone is the only place that white "misty" stuff could have come from.

I quickly got out my diatom filter and hooked it up to the tank.
It is starting to clear up and the sponges should suck up the rest.

This may be a common occurrence in my tank because contrary to popular opinion, I have a life and don't look at my tank all day.
Anemone’s do spawn like that. I had a huge BTA that spawned and the water was so cloudy I couldn’t see any of my fish.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of my lousy memory in my old head, I forgot if my anemones did that. If I look through my very big, old log book I will probably find it, but I am sure you guys are correct.

This anemone split three times and it now probably is almost a quarter of my tank. I would like to get two of them out but that will be difficult as two of them are in the back intertwined in caves.

I will probably lose a fish to them soon. I did once lose a copperband to a large anemone.

I could of course "Majano Wand" the thing, but that would create a big mess. :(

I used to have an urchin collecting business where I SCUBA dove for them for algae control. I had 24 of them in my tank and they all spawned at the same time.
That was totally disquesting. If it were not for my diatom filter, the tank would have crashed. :confused:

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did an inquiry earlier on the longest running tank and found yours congrats on over 40 years running the tank , also you must be doing something insanely right to have so many creatures spawn in your tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very large animal can stress the tank when they spawn. My H. magnifica and T. gigas really stressed the tank when they spawn.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd believe it I couldn't even imagine what would happen if I had a condy do that in my 5 gal what would happen much less something that's probably bigger than a sebae

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed my fish a bunch of black worms. I don't know how people are successful in this hobby without live worms, and a diatom filter.
But I must be doing something wrong. :confused:

I wouldn't feed worms every day because I think it makes the fish to fat. Many of my fish have pot bellies, (I do too and I rarely eat worms :sick:)

It also could be that the fish are filling with eggs, I really don't know.

Like this "guy". He isn't going to get many dates looking like that. Unless that is a girl. I don't know.

4 or 5 of my fish look like that and need to lay off the antipaste.

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail.jpg

I love these Janss Pipefish and I have had this one for 5 or 6 years. These guys are very colorful and can eat surprisingly large prey. This one only eats frozen Mysis. He occasionally tries to eat a live worm but always spits it out. I would also. :sick:

Most pipefish have tiny mouths where only the front opens, but this one's mouth opens like a Barracuda and the entire snout opens.

I wish I could get more of them but I have only seen them in a store once,and I bought him. I am not sure if they are rare of if stores just don't order them. Maybe they are considered difficult. I don't think he was very expensive, maybe $25.00.

I go in these stores with a pocket full of money but they all have the common tangs, angels and wrasses.

I had two of them but they were probably both males as this one killed the other one quite quickly and he also killed my male blue striped pipefish bu almost biting him in half.

My female pipefish keeps trying to spawn with him, but that ain't gonna happen as she is like 2" and he is about 7" .

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Update my tank "build" I moved here two years ago and brought the tank and everything in it with me. Actually, I bought new glass as my last tank was in the wall for 40 years and it was all scratched. I also couldn't get it out of the wall.

My tank now probably has between 20-25 fish. I think 4 pairs are spawning.
All is good. Last week I got another 6 line wrasse and a small bleeny. I have not seen either yet but I know the 6 lines were fighting.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never sold anything from my tank. But I would give them away. I doubt I could get any of them out.
They are entangled through the caves. I am hoping they get bored and shrivel up. I never feed the two in the back of the tank. They are big enough with no food. :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning at 6:00am I went to a doctors office for an endoscopy. Yes, Sunday morning at 6:00 am. What kind of Doctor works on a Sunday much less at 6:00 in the morning?
It was just a routine thing and if you live long enough they send you for all sorts of fun things. I especially enjoy the colonoscopies. :sick:

Luckily, you only have to go for colonoscopies like every 4 or 5 years until you are about 70. Then you don't have to go anymore because they figure you are going to croak soon anyway so why bother?

The last endoscopy I had was probably 35 years ago. I forgot why they did it then but, they didn't knock you out. They just stuck this camera on a tube up your nose, where it goes down your throat and chocks the crap out of you while the "Doctor" who barely spoke English keeps yelling at you to keep swallowing. If you weren't flailing your arms about from choking you would have them around the Doctors neck choking him. :cautious:

At least this time they knocked me out which was a very pleasant experience and I love getting anesthesia as I had (I think) 28 surgeries. All for silly things like broken bones, torn and dislocated things. Of course if you are a computer programmer, web site developer or some other sitting down job, you may not have the "manly" experience of tearing and breaking things.

Before they knocked me out, I reminded them to make sure they used the correct tube on me and not the Colonoscopy tube. o_O

The first colonoscopy I had was also not very pleasant because they didn't knock me out for that either. Maybe anesthesia was to expensive then, I really don't know.
But although that was not painful, it is "very" uncomfortable, especially when they have this cute, Like 18 year old girl handing the Doctor this 20' or so long garden hose with a light bulb on the end and he wants to stick it you know where.

There was a TV on in front of me and I figured that was to calm my nerves as I watched "I Love Lucy" or "Who wants to Marry my fat, Wino Dad".

The TV was not for that. It was for me to watch, In living color this camera going into regions I had no interest in seeing.

As I watched the TV screen the doctor says to me. Do you see that!!!. It was these Purple "grape" looking things and I knew instantly that I had either Bubonic Plague or Ich.

He said, that is the stuff you drank to prepare for the test. OK thats fine.

Then he says, Do you see all those red veins popping out all over the place. OMG, now I really figured, this is it and my life started to flash before my eyes. I thought about what my wife and Daughter were going to do. Who was going to take care of my fish and would they give them live white worms or throw out my reverse under gravel filter. Do they even know how to test for alkalinity?

Then he said: Those veins are very good.
I said Hey Doc. Start those types of sentences with something like Wow, thats good, then explain what it is.

A similar thing happened to me just before one of my torn rotator cuff surgeries. (I had about 5 of those) I was in the "Hospital For Joint Diseases" in Manhattan and they wheeled me into the operating room before the Doctor was in there and before they knocked me out.

To my left was a stainless steel table / workbench about 15' long. On it were large cro bars, demolition hammers, drills, saws, both hand and electric, drill presses, huge pliers etc.

After the surgery I saw the Doctor and I told him. Doc, something is very wrong. He said, are you in a lot of pain? I said yes, but thats not it.

When you wheel someone into surgery and they are awake, they don't want to see demolition tools like we break up streets with.
They want to see microscopic instruments, microscopes, tweezers, Thin spools of thread, bunny rabbits etc. Make a note of that.

Back