TANK BUILD - Fluval Evo 13.5

Madd20s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Salty friends,
I have a new tank setup and want to post my journey with updates along the way. Here is what I have so far

Fluval evo 13.5
Stock Pump (Eheim Compacton on the way)
Intank baskets in chamber 1 and 2
10 lbs live rocks
15lbs live sand carib sea
Aqua ATO
Aqeom 100 watt heater
Small in tank Thermometer
AI Prime 16HD with Steel bracket
Jebao SW2
Dual 1/2 RFG VCA

14 days into the nitrogen cycle
Will start testing daily

Currently no media in Any chamber
Running floss after the overflow.

Still figuring out all the terms everyone uses but nonetheless I love this hobby and has made me a very patient person

Any advice or comments are welcome

Thank you all,

20200625_083222.jpg 20200625_083108.jpg IMG_20200609_105750.jpg 20200616_142442.jpg

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! The Evo was the first tank I started on! Had some challenges with keeping my water parameters stable early on because I went too quickly. Couple of things Have you tested your parameters? Ammonia should be zero before adding anything to the tank. You’ll be looking for nitrites and then the conf version to nitrates... if you aren’t seeing these the cycling going.

Also plug the hole that is in the middle between the main portion of your tank and the overflow. You’ll get better output for your pump.

Really the best advice I could give right now is take it slow... I know the urge to want to add things to the tankpatience reefer is the most rewarded reefer. Looking forward to seeing where your reefing tank takes you!

OP
OP
Madd20s

Madd20s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! The Evo was the first tank I started on! Had some challenges with keeping my water parameters stable early on because I went too quickly. Couple of things Have you tested your parameters? Ammonia should be zero before adding anything to the tank. You’ll be looking for nitrites and then the conf version to nitrates... if you aren’t seeing these the cycling going.

Also plug the hole that is in the middle between the main portion of your tank and the overflow. You’ll get better output for your pump.

Really the best advice I could give right now is take it slow... I know the urge to want to add things to the tankpatience reefer is the most rewarded reefer. Looking forward to seeing where your reefing tank takes you!

Thanks for the advice,
The hole has been plugged, Will be testing parameters tomorrow and this will be the first test. I've done a lot of reading before setting up this tank, and I am going to let the tank cycle correctly before adding anything to my tank.

OP
OP
Madd20s

Madd20s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have added the Eheim compacton and the flow is much better. Tested ammonia and I am at 2.0 - nitrite and nitrate at 0. I am in it for the long run and just letting nature take its course with no added additives. Is this a good thing, bad thing or does not matter?

19 days into the cycle
All in all I want it to be a success.

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advise i can give is look at adding an oz or two of turbo start 900 as that is the nutrifying bacteria, i used 2 oz in mine and my EVO was fish ready in just a few days.and i have not had any ammonia spikes. Since starting i have not had any issues with my parameters I also have the AI Prime HD and i love the light.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back