Tank Cover? PVC Shut-off Valve?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on two issues...

Wrapping up the build of my 29 gallon and I'm debating whether to cover the tank or not. It DOES have a wooden canopy, which I'm concerned that the moisture from the tank will over time ruin the wood. The previous owner used it for a freshwater system with a HOB Aquaclear filter, and also had a glass lid on the tank. I'd rather not reuse the glass so it's easier to access during feeding. So, if I don't have to worry about moisture destroying the wood, my next thought was eggcrate, because I do have a Firefish. Jumpers like him present an issue because there's also a 2 inch gap that runs the entire length of the rear of the canopy for wiring. It's (going to be) a mixed reef system so if the eggcrate will diffuse the lighting (from a AI Prime 16) too much, I'd rather just rehome the Firefish back to my LFS. Thoughts on the best route for covering...or not covering at all?

Second issue...plumbing. I'd like to add a shut off value to my PVC plumbing, but when I made a trip to Lowe's and played around with these 1" PVC valves, they were all EXTREMELY tight and hard to turn just holding the joint in one hand, and turning with the other. I could just imagine how much strain trying to turn it would put on the connecting pipes, and in turn my bulkheads...even with supports. Is there another kind of valve out there that's easier to turn, or am I out of luck on this?

Thanks ahead for your input!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on two issues...

Wrapping up the build of my 29 gallon and I'm debating whether to cover the tank or not. It DOES have a wooden canopy, which I'm concerned that the moisture from the tank will over time ruin the wood. The previous owner used it for a freshwater system with a HOB Aquaclear filter, and also had a glass lid on the tank. I'd rather not reuse the glass so it's easier to access during feeding. So, if I don't have to worry about moisture destroying the wood, my next thought was eggcrate, because I do have a Firefish. Jumpers like him present an issue because there's also a 2 inch gap that runs the entire length of the rear of the canopy for wiring. It's (going to be) a mixed reef system so if the eggcrate will diffuse the lighting (from a AI Prime 16) too much, I'd rather just rehome the Firefish back to my LFS. Thoughts on the best route for covering...or not covering at all?

Second issue...plumbing. I'd like to add a shut off value to my PVC plumbing, but when I made a trip to Lowe's and played around with these 1" PVC valves, they were all EXTREMELY tight and hard to turn just holding the joint in one hand, and turning with the other. I could just imagine how much strain trying to turn it would put on the connecting pipes, and in turn my bulkheads...even with supports. Is there another kind of valve out there that's easier to turn, or am I out of luck on this?

Thanks ahead for your input!
True Union ball valve

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood should be fine for a very long time. You can also go with a screen top kit.

The basic hardware store ball valve is pretty cheap and can be very hard to turn. Go up a level or two - BRS sells some nice ball valves that are true union as an example. You can get them from a lot of different places.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back