Tank Cover Reef Safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Baby Ray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
2,895
Reaction score
1,664
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a DIY tank cover using a window screen as the rim part and I got some 1/4 inch clear mesh. The only window framing they had at Lowe's was aluminum. Is it safe for the tank? It won't be in the water but I thought I should ask :)
Thanks
 
Yes
 
The frame will be ok, but not optimal. Dont let salt creep fall off it and into the water.

Dont use aluminum screen, just fiberglass.

Fwiw this will block a lot of light. Brs sells a good one.
 
The frame will be ok, but not optimal. Dont let salt creep fall off it and into the water.

Dont use aluminum screen, just fiberglass.

Fwiw this will block a lot of light. Brs sells a good one.
The aluminum is just the rim of the lid. The middle part is the 1/4 inch brs clear mesh.
 
Okay, that setup sounds good. Plastic is the safer option yes, but aluminium isnt really all that bad anyway. But if your like me, it will always be a doubt in your mind.
 
Okay, that setup sounds good. Plastic is the safer option yes, but aluminium isnt really all that bad anyway. But if your like me, it will always be a doubt in your mind.
Thanks. I am like you :)
I'll see if I can find any plastic ones around me soon.
 
If really want to do it up right, just use the egg crate light shealds and cut them in what ever shape you need.
 
If really want to do it up right, just use the egg crate light shealds and cut them in what ever shape you need.
Those block quite a bit of light...
 
Those block quite a bit of light...
The egg crate cover were designed for light covers for the reason, the covers let more light through the the lens covers. I would say the screen would block more light with a smaller wave then the large 1/2 squares. I have seen both used on tanks and they both work. just a thought though
 
those clearview lids one of the forums supporters are really nice looking, pricey but very functional and reef safe. But you can use the aluminum frame with the brs screen safely. I painted my frame black so maybe that will decrease concerns of contamination.
 
those clearview lids one of the forums supporters are really nice looking, pricey but very functional and reef safe. But you can use the aluminum frame with the brs screen safely. I painted my frame black so maybe that will decrease concerns of contamination.
I am painting mine lack too with Rustolian
Do you think I could get away with it after I painted it?
 
The egg crate cover were designed for light covers for the reason, the covers let more light through the the lens covers. I would say the screen would block more light with a smaller wave then the large 1/2 squares. I have seen both used on tanks and they both work. just a thought though
They do unfortunately block a light....that is what they are sold for...to diffuse light. The clear BRS mesh is a much better option but if you are just looking to keep fish in, then either would work :-)
 
They do unfortunately block a light....that is what they are sold for...to diffuse light. The clear BRS mesh is a much better option but if you are just looking to keep fish in, then either would work :)
good to know:)
 
They do unfortunately block a light....that is what they are sold for...to diffuse light. The clear BRS mesh is a much better option but if you are just looking to keep fish in, then either would work :-)
Yep, also the egg crate holes are larger enough that many fish can still fit through. If the head fits the fish fits.

I use these on my qt tanks, with 1/4in mesh zipped tied on to the bottom. They are easier to cut around hob equipment
 
Well, I got a cover built but I won't do. The light sits on top of it so I have to take the light off every time I want to feed the fish or to maintenance. Also it is very wobbly and sits weird on the tank. :(
Any other suggestions?
 
those clearview lids one of the forums supporters are really nice looking, pricey but very functional and reef safe. But you can use the aluminum frame with the brs screen safely. I painted my frame black so maybe that will decrease concerns of contamination.
I want the clearview but I can't afford to spend that much money on a lid :)
 
My screens were a bit cattywampus when I first put them on, it was from the screen being stretched tight, they have since relaxed a bit and are flat. What kind of lights?
Well, I got a cover built but I won't do. The light sits on top of it so I have to take the light off every time I want to feed the fish or to maintenance. Also it is very wobbly and sits weird on the tank. :(
Any other suggestions?
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new