Tank Crash - out of hobby

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another method that would probably get their attention and might get you somewhere. Especially if you do contact them and receive a poor response. Post the complaint to their social media. A lot of people have had ignored issues be resolved positively by companies because they don't want to look bad to the public and potential customers.

chuck3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, everything JBJ fails... it's just a question of how long it takes. I've had a hood fail... electronic ballast fail... and two tanks leak (a 12 gallon and a 24 gallon nano). The longest-to-failure was about four years on the 24 before it leaked. The moonlights on the hood, however, were a failure from day one... and when I took it back to my LFS, the moonlights on the next one didn't work either... so I took the first one back home with me.

chuck3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, everything JBJ fails... it's just a question of how long it takes. I've had a hood fail... electronic ballast fail... and two tanks leak (a 12 gallon and a 24 gallon nano). The longest-to-failure was about four years on the 24 before it leaked. The moonlights on the hood, however, were a failure from day one... and when I took it back to my LFS, the moonlights on the next one didn't work either... so I took the first one back home with me.

Oh yes... I've also had a couple of smaller light fixtures from theM (older PC models) for which the cheap, foreign made ballasts burned excessively hot, even after attaching aftermarket heat sinks.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow now you make me worry about my JBJ 45. Mine is going on 8 months but I haven't heard anything about this issue.

Best of luck to you and hope you come back soon

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain!!! I had 500l of water through my hallway!! Lucky enough my home and contents insurance covered the whole lot. Even the new replacement tank!
1468368558217.jpg
1468368578694.jpg

Who is/was your insurance company? Not all cover this!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear, hard lessons can be costly weather it is a hose coming loose or a tank splitting at the seams. Everyone that leaves eventually come back and do it slightly different the next time around. I can honestly say if all three hundred gallons leaked out of my system other than a mess it will only effect my system and the live stock. But it would be enough to maybe push me out so I understand.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow now you make me worry about my JBJ 45. Mine is going on 8 months but I haven't heard anything about this issue.

Not likely to happen with yours. When you have a floating base tank make sure you do not put any sort of cushion between the tank and the stand. It makes situation worst. Make sure your stand is leveled and you are good to go.

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely to happen with yours. When you have a floating base tank make sure you do not put any sort of cushion between the tank and the stand. It makes situation worst. Make sure your stand is leveled and you are good to go.
I had the original matching stand that was perfectly leveled. Just google jbj 45 cracking and you will see it's a common issue with these tanks. The edges are just too thin and uneven.

20160713_123740.jpg

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang sorry to hear about this. It seems like these tanks were like the IM nuvo 16 and having them break/crack around the bent edge. I had the nuvo and sold it a few weeks after a ton of people started to post the problem. Hopefully your able to start up a different tank. I wouldn't throw in the white towel. If you were closer I would let ya have a 34g solana cube that's been gutted with a glass holes overflow kit.

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang sorry to hear about this. It seems like these tanks were like the IM nuvo 16 and having them break/crack around the bent edge. I had the nuvo and sold it a few weeks after a ton of people started to post the problem. Hopefully your able to start up a different tank. I wouldn't throw in the white towel. If you were closer I would let ya have a 34g solana cube that's been gutted with a glass holes overflow kit.
Thanks! Not sure what I am going to do, just listed the replacement tank on a local classified, done with JBJ and that's for sure!

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the original matching stand that was perfectly leveled. Just google jbj 45 cracking and you will see it's a common issue with these tanks. The edges are just too thin and uneven.

20160713_123740.jpg

Yep I mentioned at earlier post, this is the usual problem with bent glass tanks. If you really like the curved look at front corners go for acrylic tanks. Sure they won't collapse as glass does.

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for that, I've bin looking at getting a new tank, and was strongly looking at the jbj 45. But now I will definitely Stay far away from them. Looks like the red sea for me.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I mentioned at earlier post, this is the usual problem with bent glass tanks. If you really like the curved look at front corners go for acrylic tanks. Sure they won't collapse as glass does.
Any instances of this with the Biocubes? I have a 29 and this makes me a little nervous but I haven't heard of any.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you sell the tank is would contact your insurance they might want you to send it back. Your PC and your area rug should fall under the warranty as its a clear and evident manufacturers defect. By going through your insurance they will then in turn start negotiations with the JBJ and as long as you have not signed anything you are still covered.

Back