edrada_a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
This past weekend we had an unexpected late winter storm hit Boulder. We received 3.5 ft of snow, and our power was out for almost 48 hours. I lost a pair of Picasso clownfish, Yasha Goby, Yellow Pistol Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, and all of my corals. I was about to upgrade to a bigger tank next week, and now I have to start all over again. Here are a couple before and after pictures.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
This past weekend we had an unexpected late winter storm hit Boulder. We received 3.5 ft of snow, and our power was out for almost 48 hours. I lost a pair of Picasso clownfish, Yasha Goby, Yellow Pistol Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, and all of my corals. I was about to upgrade to a bigger tank next week, and now I have to start all over again. Here are a couple before and after pictures.
Oh I am sooooo sorry!!! [emoji24] It was beautiful! I would just move up to the new tank. I know exactly how you feel my 180 crashed from a 6 hr outage.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that sucks!.. on your new build add some backup power. I live in florida where we constantly lose power and i've been out of power for almost 2 days. My mp10, with a modified belking backup, has saved my tank on a few occasions. Good luck on the rebuild!

OP
OP
edrada_a

edrada_a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a backup battery pack for my EcoTech and probably a generator.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little pico just OD'd in all the bad stuff and went a similar path. Feel the same way, buddy. Best of luck.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sucks. Hang in there and you'll bounce back!

I bought a power inverter as a back up for my tank. You never know when things will go bad.

jkapit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, I went through the same thing during Hurricane Sandy. Now I use an icecap battery backup for circulation and a small 800w generator to run the heater and power heads if power is out for more than a couple hours

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm here in Denver and that storm was one of those what the heck moments for me. Do you belong to MASC? There is always someone willing to help

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry for your loss. I'm afraid of the same thing happening. Thinking of installing a standby generator before winter this year.

Yellowjacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your loss. A battery pack might not last 48 hours especially if running more than a few pumps, heater and an a skimmer. I bit the bullet 5 years ago and installed a Generac whole house generator hooked up to a natural gas pipe line. It works great and gives me a great amount of peace of mind.

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas powered 5000W generator from harbor freight works well. as long as you know how to wire it into your panel. don't forget to throw main breaker off first then power it up. should light most of house and definitely your whole tank.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, we don't. The house is heated by propane.
There are two ways you could heat your fish tank with propane. One is a real Rube Goldberg and involves using the drain tap from the hot water tank. The other is a small dedicated apartment hot water tank. In both cases you need to build heat exchange(s) which sit in your tank system somewhere like the sump. I built mine out of PVC. You need a small circulating pump and an electric valve that is controlled by your Neptune system. If you're going to go to all the bother of building it, you might as well build a cooling circuit using an old car radiator which will use up one more electric valve. One valve will be "normally on" and the other "normally off". The pump runs continuously and is either circulating heat from the hot water system or running thru the car radiator. My system keeps tank temp within 0.8 of a degree summer or winter. Use your fish tank heaters as backup and have them set slightly lower than your hot water system allows the temp. to drop to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back