Tank has gone downhill! Please help!!

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is not happy and I can't figure out why! I sent off an icp test but results probably won't come for another week. So maybe someone here can help me figure something out while I wait.
2 months ago my zoas closed so I did an icp test. Came back with slightly elevated nickel and tin, possible corroded magnet. Fond the culprit and did water changes. 2 weeks ago zoas started opening a little. BUT one night my skimmer was making noises so I opened up the air valve. This made the skimmer overflow and everything that was in the cup went back into the tank. The next day mostly all corals looked super ticked! So I've been doing small water changes everyday and running fresh rox carbon. It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing is getting better. Mushrooms are dying, btas are closed, euphyllias are closed and puffy around the mouth. I can't imagine anything in that skimmer would affect the tank this much, it's gotta be something else. Skimmer is just a tunze 9004 in an 80g, which is underrated. Skimmer cup was maybe half full and really hasn't been working right in a few months anyways. Tank is mainly softies and euphyllias so I run it kinda dirty. Alk cal and mag are stable, had to stop dosing though because lack of uptake. I have 7 fish, 5 are good, active and eating, 2 are hiding. I also have a cleaner shrimp that's ok and still eating.
What in the world would affect mushrooms so bad but a cleaner shrimp is ok????
I'm at a loss! Please brainstorm with me!

20191114_211449.jpg
20191114_211516.jpg
20191114_211528.jpg
20191114_211549.jpg
20191114_211600.jpg
20191114_211615.jpg

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your salinity? When skimmers overflow an ATO can add a bunch of fresh water and drop salinity quickly. Also what are your parameters at right now? Can you test and give us some numbers?
I have tested salinity, always do when making up new water. It's right at 1.025
Alk is at 9, cal 420, mag 1350. Haven't looked at nitrate and phos cause usually it's high and my tank loves it.
The only thing I would suspect is ammonia spike and I don't have a test for that. Not a test I thought I'd need since my tank has been up and good for years. But even if it was an ammonia spike the tank should have processed that or water changes diluted it by now

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity? Do you have multiple devices that can check your salinity?

A few years back my refractometer stopped working properly and my salinity skyrocketed. My corals looked similar to yours. I checked the calibration with the BRS refractometer calibration fluid, but something was wrong with the refractometer itself. On a whim, I checked my salinity with a hydrometer and it read extremely high. I ended up purchasing a new refractometer before making any changes but the new one confirmed the salinity issue.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity? Do you have multiple devices that can check your salinity?

A few years back my refractometer stopped working properly and my salinity skyrocketed. My corals looked similar to yours. I checked the calibration with the BRS refractometer calibration fluid, but something was wrong with the refractometer itself. On a whim, I checked my salinity with a hydrometer and it read extremely high. I ended up purchasing a new refractometer before making any changes but the new one confirmed the salinity issue.
I have 2 refractometers and calibration solution so I will definitely check that out! Thanks

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black substrate can potentially be problematic, try dragging a magnet through it and see if anything sticks.. I would also run a poly bio marine poly filter which can absorb contaminates.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you siphoned out your sand bed since it’s been set up? What type of salt do you use?

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black substrate can potentially be problematic, try dragging a magnet through it and see if anything sticks.. I would also run a poly bio marine poly filter which can absorb contaminates.
I've had the black substrate for 2 years so I don't think that's the problem now. But it is a problem for sure. Every icp ice done in the past has had elevated vandium. It's never effected the tank but in the near future when I move I plan on going to a white sand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I suspect false salinity.
For piece of mind, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to verify salinity and any other parameters to compare to your readings

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you siphoned out your sand bed since it’s been set up? What type of salt do you use?
I actually have never siphoned anything. Water changes are done automatically by an apex. I do see alot of build up in corners behind rock but can't get to it. When I move in the near future I do plan on making my rock scape a little better to access those dead spots.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it hasn't. I have prey good water where I live and keep my filters changed on a regular basis
I know if it's City Water sometimes they do an annual flush with high chlorine or high chloramines just something to think about don't know if you ever check it

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a salinity test with 2 refractimeters calibrated with brs solution. Both red 1.025.
I was so hoping this was the problem, would have been easy to fix!!

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light? Look like your tank is shallow 24" or less. Get a par meter and check may be too strong for mushroom
I've been using a 4 bulb t5 since I upgraded to this tank. It is a shallow! Bulbs are changed about 4 months ago

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms aren't just shrinking and dying off. A few actually look like they're melting away.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back