OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp test still hasn't come back yet and now whatever this is is affecting my fish. 5 are still acting normal, 2 are acting like in the vid.
Salinity will 2 refractometers calibrated are 1.025, hygrometer read 1.027. Api ammonia test is 0. Nitrates are only 25 which is were I've always kept it and phos .03.
Anyone got any suggestions????

Attachments

• 20191119_134015.mp4
    4.2 MB

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to upload the vid to YouTube to get it to work.

Have you done any large water changes yet?

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to upload the vid to YouTube to get it to work.

Have you done any large water changes yet?
My water changes are done automatically by an apex so I set it up to do 2-3 small gallon water changes a day. Been doing that for a week now and things are only looking worse. Last night my firefish was eating and active today she is laying and breathing heavy. 2x gallon water changes are done since last night. My rodi filters are fresh so I'm so lost!!!

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 fish that are struggling look healthy on the outside but are weak and breathing heavy but slow. 5 other fish and cleaner shrimp are still currently active.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water changes are done automatically by an apex so I set it up to do 2-3 small gallon water changes a day. Been doing that for a week now and things are only looking worse. Last night my firefish was eating and active today she is laying and breathing heavy. 2x gallon water changes are done since last night. My rodi filters are fresh so I'm so lost!!!

2-3 gallons isn’t going to do anything in this situation. You need to do close to a 100% water change

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a complete shot in the dark here. Is it possible since turning your skimmer off that you reduced the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank? Do you have a test to measure dissolved oxygen?

Since the fish look fine otherwise and you're no longer skimming, thought this might be a viable reason they're acting funny, and completely unrelated to the corals.

Completely unexperienced in reefkeeping as I am just getting into saltwater, but thought the input was worth it if it helps.

Edit: Actually to tack on to that.... a low oxygen environment is a suitable environment for cyanobacteria. If your skimmer wasn't operating properly to start, and it got dumped into the water column... is it possible you introduced cyano into your tank (the explanation for the coral problem) and also that the lack of a running skimmer lower your dissolved oxygen?

All total theory. Just spitballing here...

Last edited:

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its getting worse with the water changes, is it possible the mixing station has something going on with it? Another shot in the dark but.... whats the source water there look like? Any chance of leaching or contaminants?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back