Tank heat

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so my thermometer in my tank read 81.5 this morning and I wasn’t sure why so I unplugged it and it stayed that way until I got home from work. It never went down even with my house temp being 67. I found another thermometer and put it in and it’s reading 75.9?? They’re both right next to each other so I turned my Oasis heater back on and it’s kicking on like it’s cold? It’s set to turn on at 77. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Is my tank hot or cold? I have no clue what’s going on anymore.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, so my thermometer in my tank read 81.5 this morning and I wasn’t sure why so I unplugged it and it stayed that way until I got home from work. It never went down even with my house temp being 67. I found another thermometer and put it in and it’s reading 75.9?? They’re both right next to each other so I turned my Oasis heater back on and it’s kicking on like it’s cold? It’s set to turn on at 77. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Is my tank hot or cold? I have no clue what’s going on anymore.
No - it does not make sense. Do you mean the heater? or the thermometer. I could buy a new thermometer. I'm assuming you're using a digital thermometer? But - water does not gain heat quickly - nor does it lose heat quickly. If your heater is set to turn on at 77. and its 75. its doing what ts supposed to do. Get an independent temperature measurement. PS. the reef it self - at least in the shallows can vary in temperature - I would not panic about 81.5. But. frankly - some of your post does not make sense - if you unplugged your thermometer when it was 81.5 - how do you know it stayed that way until you went home. I'm guessing you're trying to say 'heater' rather than thermometer. Hope this helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Place one thermoneter on each side of tank and see what temperature readings you get. once done, switch them to opposite corners and see if both are the same or one is off. You will know which is faulty.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thermometer or heater? What size is your tank? You could look at a more reliable heater (if warranted) like an eheim Jager.
I have to thermometers in my tank rn. One that’s been in for about 5 months reading 81.5. And a brand new one that’s reading 75.7. The heater is set to turn on at 77 and I’ve had no issues with it so far. It’s also 5 months old

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it does not make sense. Do you mean the heater? or the thermometer. I could buy a new thermometer. I'm assuming you're using a digital thermometer? But - water does not gain heat quickly - nor does it lose heat quickly. If your heater is set to turn on at 77. and its 75. its doing what ts supposed to do. Get an independent temperature measurement. PS. the reef it self - at least in the shallows can vary in temperature - I would not panic about 81.5. But. frankly - some of your post does not make sense - if you unplugged your thermometer when it was 81.5 - how do you know it stayed that way until you went home. I'm guessing you're trying to say 'heater' rather than thermometer. Hope this helps
Sorry yes I unplugged the heater, I mixed up some words. I have 2 thermometers in my tank. One that’s been in the whole time (5 months) reading 81.5 and a brand new one that I just put in reading 75.7. My heater is set to turn on at 77

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thermometers now

Attachments

• 8FD0924D-89A6-451A-9A14-EA1F83517562.jpeg
    8FD0924D-89A6-451A-9A14-EA1F83517562.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thermometer in your kitchen. You could use that to get an idea of what the real temp is?
Just found my old one. I think it’s still good, it read 76 so I believe the old one in my tank has gone bad, my heater is set to 78 but keeps shutting off at 76. Not sure if that’s a safety feature to keep it from heating up too fast or not, will keep an eye on it

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was recommended by BRS . Also Me. Change it out every year. I came home after a weekend and mine failed wide open like yours. Killed " boiled " 10 of my cichlids

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s inkbird?
It's a Controller for your heater(s). It has a temperature probe that will show your tank and setting temps at all times. It will automatically cut off your heater if the tank temperature goes higher than what you set on the controller. Heaters are the most common failure in a reef tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back