Tank help for Acro

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me? Not sure why my Acro is pealing skin first timer here. I acclimated it only for a day raising it up slowly it did fine for three days until now. My others i bought the same day are fine. Should I move it down or leave it?
Levels.
Magnesium 1560
Nitrate 5.0
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 420
Kh 161.1
Water temp 77
Par 350
IMG_1534.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like tissue necrosis. Was this frag purchased locally or shipped? Did you dip? How long has your tank been up? Do you have coralline growing?

Sorry for all the questions. A little bit do more information would be helpful toward understanding whether something can be done. I will say that most of the time fragging the unaffected branches is recommended m. This tends to be microbial in nature and there’s usually nothing you can do to stop it once it has started except maybe take the healthy portion and remove it. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little over three months. It was a local store. I ran out of dip I split the bottle earlier in the week. I have coralline growing refugium that’s growing like crazy. Everything is happy in my tank besides this. I have about 19 other coral. My salinity I keep at 1.24-.25 so no crazy salinity swings. Only thing I changed today was my flow. I lowered it because my Goni was not having all the flow but it wasn’t a crazy change my polyps are out on my other acros. and my magnesium was down earlier at 1040 I raised it up probably a little drastically. So maybe that’s my cause I was out of town couldn’t check my levels in time. Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are off. I checked and nothing is coming off of it anymore looks the same. With my luck lately probably won’t make it. Kind of a bummer hope it pulls through.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are off. I checked and nothing is coming off of it anymore looks the same. With my luck lately probably won’t make it. Kind of a bummer hope it pulls through.
With the lights off now, it probably has a better chance. Sometimes they do this and then they're fine. Other times, no. Hopefully it does ok. Weird the area that acted up is what would normally get less light.

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know it needs light. I only acclimated it one day. Its been in my tanks for 4 days now. 3 days at the top of the rocks with 350 par on it.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH of 161 is bit on a high side - I would lower it a bit towards 100...

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope. I’ll make a little update if it makes it or not. Thanks for your time.
from my experience their nothing u can do but cut off what's still alive and hope for the best. I would do an ICP test to figure out whats off. Do u test frequently? Did you have a swing in parameters?

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every other day I test levels. My salinity I test daily. The only thing that I changed because I was out of town my girl was watching my tank is magnesium. It was at 1056 yesterday by the end of the day I got it back up to 1560 could that have been the problem. Heavy dose of magnesium.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every other day I test levels. My salinity I test daily. The only thing that I changed because I was out of town my girl was watching my tank is magnesium. It was at 1056 yesterday by the end of the day I got it back up to 1560 could that have been the problem. Heavy dose of magnesium.
Something sounds suspect with your testing? How big is your tank and how did you raise mag 500 points in a day? That would take a ton of mag supplement like gallons unless you have a nano tank which it doesn’t appear to be..

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just going off the numbers at the lfs store. Here is what he told me everything has been going smoothly besides this and my tank has always been stable with levels besides this past week when I was out of town and didn’t get checked correctly. I know he is a mixed reef guy but he doesn’t have any acro’s I believe. These are the numbers I have been going off.

Salt 1.024
Temp 75
Ca 400-500 he told me keep it at 440
KL 8-12 keep it at 9.
Magnesium 1500.

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something sounds suspect with your testing? How big is your tank and how did you raise mag 500 points in a day? That would take a ton of mag supplement like gallons unless you have a nano tank which it doesn’t appear t

Something sounds suspect with your testing? How big is your tank and how did you raise mag 500 points in a day? That would take a ton of mag supplement like gallons unless you have a nano tank which it doesn’t appear to be..
50 lagoon. Maybe it’s my end on the testing. I use the Red Sea test kit also api mixed reef.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just going off the numbers at the lfs store. Here is what he told me everything has been going smoothly besides this and my tank has always been stable with levels besides this past week when I was out of town and didn’t get checked correctly. I know he is a mixed reef guy but he doesn’t have any acro’s I believe. These are the numbers I have been going off.

Salt 1.024
Temp 75
Ca 400-500 he told me keep it at 440
KL 8-12 keep it at 9.
Magnesium 1500.
Those numbers are fine but I’d raise your salinity 1.025 or 1.026 the rest is good, besides mag a tad high.. how did you raise mag 500 points in a day? What supplement and how much?

OP
OP
G

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ions aquavitro. I believe. So it took two days essentially. When I got home I dosed it 2 caps which my tank for a full dose is 2.5 caps. next day was reading same number. Then I put 2.5 in the same day waited 5-6 hours later tested the magnesium again it was at 1560.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back