Tank is crashing help!

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100g tank was perfectly fine yesterday and when I got home today all my sps corals were bleached white and my lps corals were all closed up. I did a water change right away and swapped out the carbon but everything seems to be getting worse by the hour. All of my fish are alive but the tank is super cloudy. I’ve had this system for over 3 years and I don’t know what it could be. I do not have any test kits at the moment but my sg and temp are fine. I had a short spine urchin that died too but my other inverts seem ok. Most of my soft corals are so doing alright but at this point all my lps corals are slowly dying. I don’t know what else I can do by tonight. Someone please help!

DesktopReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100g tank was perfectly fine yesterday and when I got home today all my sps corals were bleached white and my lps corals were all closed up. I did a water change right away and swapped out the carbon but everything seems to be getting worse by the hour. All of my fish are alive but the tank is super cloudy. I’ve had this system for over 3 years and I don’t know what it could be. I do not have any test kits at the moment but my sg and temp are fine. I had a short spine urchin that died too but my other inverts seem ok. Most of my soft corals are so doing alright but at this point all my lps corals are slowly dying. I don’t know what else I can do by tonight. Someone please help!
Do you dose anything?

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Any chance you can get to a pet store (even big box) before they close and get some test kits? I k ow people hate on the api kits but they are available and better than nothing. Buy prime too.
Everything is closed or closes at 9

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not dose any 2 part or such then that kinda rules out alk overdose.

Milky white water can be a bacterial bloom and a cheap UV can clear it up quickly if so. Usually there is a cause form this like carbon dosing or extra organics. A sand bed stirred up or something largish died, etc.

DesktopReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing ideas out here… do you run your lights at less than 100%? Could they have malfunctioned while you were gone and caused the bleaching by turning themselves up?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Milky white water can be a bacterial bloom and a cheap UV can clear it up quickly if so. Usually there is a cause form this like carbon dosing or extra organics. A sand bed stirred up or something largish died, etc.
The dead coral was what made me think it wasn’t bacterial bloom. But it could be a secondary bacterial bloom I guess…

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My friend has a really nice uv sterilizer that I can pick up rn. Should I get it
Just throwing ideas out here… do you run your lights at less than 100%? Could they have malfunctioned while you were gone and caused the bleaching by turning themselves up?
no my lights are on schedule

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a really nice uv sterilizer that I can pick up rn. Should I get it

no my lights are on schedule

yes, it will not be harmful and it might help if there is a bloom. Worst case, that is not the problem and it does nothing. Can't hurt to try though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be sure to check your tanks temperature, sometimes a faulty heater is the issue. It is possible something happened to kill coral/invert and the death lead to the bloom.

Check salinity too. Idk if you use an ATO but make sure stuff like that is working correctly.

I know you don't have test kits but I am assuming you can check those two. Maybe your friend has test kits you can use?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sounds like a bloom of some sort and likely bacterial. You mention corals suddenly bleaching. First thing to check is water temp. High temps will cause tissue release and RTN. Increased temperatures will either modify the structure of the coral microbial symbiotic community or trigger the production of factors affecting the tissue.
Typical actions that cause sudden bleaching and tissue loss are :

- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Addition of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity or sunlight hitting tank
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides used in the room

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back