Tank is getting hot

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m trying to run my same return pump thru my chiller. I did buy a bigger one to make up for the lost flow. Unfortunately I snapped a piece and can’t run the chiller now and it’s getting hot. I bought a Sicce 3.0. So it takes a 3/4 size line and my RSM 250 takes a 5/8. So how do I got about plumbing this from return pump 3/4—>chiller5/8—->return nozzle 5/8. What pieces would I need. The chiller is a 1/2 hp oceanic

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a 3/4” to 5/8” reducer it seems. In the meantime, a fan over the water does wonders to drop the temperature
+1 on the fan. I found that to be a much less expansive way to deal with temp than a chiller. Just need a good ATO and maybe a larger reservoir.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look for that today. I have no clue when it comes to plumbing.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice given so far :) if it gets too hot before you can remedy it, you can use the power outage method - frozen water bottles and float in the sump.

+1 and have used the frozen RODI Fresh water bottle method in an emergency as well.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I’ll get some water bottles for now. Well my lights pick up that temp. Since it’s a old RSM 250 it runs 6 T5. Right now my tank is sitting at 77 but with the lights it goes up to almost 81 I want to say. I’ll see today and have the frozen bottles ready. I am still unsure and what parts I need exactly . So I’ll go to homedepot and look around

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I’ll get some water bottles for now. Well my lights pick up that temp. Since it’s a old RSM 250 it runs 6 T5. Right now my tank is sitting at 77 but with the lights it goes up to almost 81 I want to say. I’ll see today and have the frozen bottles ready. I am still unsure and what parts I need exactly . So I’ll go to homedepot and look around
A small clip on fan across the top will definitely help a lot then. Temp activated if you can get it on your controller.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the lights inside a canopy? If so there should be proper ventilation to allow airflow around the lights to reduce heat. IF no canopy, you're lights are probably to close to the water.

Urban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the clip-on fan suggestion. I have one blowing across my sump that comes on with my lights. I am not sure which method would be best, but you could also try placing it so that it blows across the top of the tank between the water's surface and your fixture; I did that on a previous setup that was running a 400W halide/no sump. It worked well enough that I never had to invest in a chiller, but seemed to substantially increase the evaporation rate.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day I took of the chiller it climbed up to 82. Now, when I first got the tank, I forgot to turn on my chiller one day and temp rose to 91. So far it actually seems ok bumps up to high 79’s . Just a lot more evaporation as they mentioned earlier.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day I took of the chiller it climbed up to 82. Now, when I first got the tank, I forgot to turn on my chiller one day and temp rose to 91. So far it actually seems ok bumps up to high 79’s . Just a lot more evaporation as they mentioned earlier.

When I had my 250G I ran into similar issues and it was my external Blueline pump heating it up. I switched to a Vortech pump and submersed it and no longer needed a chiller (I live in Florida)

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 250G I ran into similar issues and it was my external Blueline pump heating it up. I switched to a Vortech pump and submersed it and no longer needed a chiller (I live in Florida)

I already changed the skimmer and plan on replacing my return pump with a Sicce 3.0. I just don’t know how to plumb it yet.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fan. I found that to be a much less expansive way to deal with temp than a chiller. Just need a good ATO and maybe a larger reservoir.

Yea, that’s why I liked the chiller. Mínimum precipitation.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the lights inside a canopy? If so there should be proper ventilation to allow airflow around the lights to reduce heat. IF no canopy, you're lights are probably to close to the water.

They are. The top is enclosed with a hood integrated with the lights. I might need to replace those fans . You can hear them working

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, in summer with house AC keeping the room tolerable but not ‘cool’ my tank never overheats. No fans or anything. Guess the open top is a big difference.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back