tank lid material

Codfather_az

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we can lets move past the cons of a solid lid and yes I know a screen or an open top is advisable. Assuming I choose to use a lid, does anyone have any experience with petg? if so, how thick did you need it to be to stay rigid over the tank? and if glass, same question. I just get the feeling ill break it at some point but don't want the bowing of acrylic. I read somewhere that petg doesn't absorb water like acrylic thus doesn't really bow.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty rough with the aqueon glass lids i use over my tanks and the glass is quite thin. Havent broken one yet. They dont bow either.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know the answer or petg, but as for glass it csn be very thin and should have better light penetration than a thicker piece of plastic. I use the real thin stuff hime depot sells. Just be prepared to put something on the edges if you go that route those pieces cut the crap out of me

OP
OP
Codfather_az

Codfather_az

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of mesh but at this point I'm more worried about evap (yes even with an ato) then jumpers. its a rimless tank so prefab lids are out. I vaguely remember reading that petg is as clear as glass, but not sure how it would effect par. monkey how thick would you recommend for 2x2?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is polycarbonate. It won't warp from water like acrylic. And is harder to break than acrylic (e.g. won't chip or crack if dropped). But it is a bit more flexible and can sag a bit ... so may need to be thicker depending on the span it will be covering.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lexan actually makes a really good lid material. Its a little stronger than acrylic but is more brittle and easier to scratch.
Id say 1/4" just to be safe and avoid bowing.
When you go buy ur piece. Apply some hand pressure to it in the middle and the brace it to the ground. Will give you an idea of the give.
Wish i had a definative answer for you sorry. Im gonna make a mesh top with hard border.
D

OP
OP
Codfather_az

Codfather_az

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I though polycarbonate absorbs water and petg absorbs less, thus why it stuck out in my head... I really wish I could find the source of this information because I don't know how reputable it is

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in this. Do you have experience with it ? I read it can get condensation between the layers.
This is what I use on all my aquariums. I haven't had any issues with condensation. The only downfall is a whole sheet is kind of expensive. So just set up more aquariums with the extra lol.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use on all my aquariums. I haven't had any issues with condensation. The only downfall is a whole sheet is kind of expensive. So just set up more aquariums with the extra lol.
Thanks. Home Depot has a sheet for 80 bucks which doesn't seem bad in relation to all the other stuff we've been buying. LOL

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back