tank lid

primfran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently have some warped acrlylic as a lid to my tank, but looks like crap. seen some people use eggcrate, but that seems like i would be going down the same path. does the eggcrate hold up better under lights, i mean not warp? the 2 openings are 28"x16" each and i have 220w VHO, 135w pc and 70w of t5 over them. want to do glass, but a little pricey. if eggcrate is cheaper and will hold up, i will go with that. open to any other ideas as well.

thanks.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reasons folks use eggcrate or DYI mesh tops is to encourage gas exchange. Having either an acrylic or glass lid will hinder that exchange and can/will adversely affect your pH. Having anything at all on your tank is usually only to prevent carpet surfing of their fish.

I believe most folks here will strongly advise against any solid covering on your tank. The top of my tank is pure nekked.

OP
OP
P

primfran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an eel that would love to check out the shag. he cruises the surface looking for a hole. will eggcrate warp like acrylic? where do i get it?

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggcrate will diffuse your light some, I don't know if the black eggcrate would be any better or worse. I have the clear mesh on my tanks and its great, it's already saved my wrasses a few times. It's not very expensive or difficult to make.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back