Tank Lighting Help

AAReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon long reef tank that's about 1.5 years old. This is my first reef tank so it's a learning process(so far so good). My tank dimensions are 48×13×19 with a rim on top.
The rim goes through the very middle of the tank. Due to this, I decided to choose the easy route with lighting, buying a light bar that was rated pretty well. I am currently using a CurrentUSA Orbit Marine 4227 light bar. I am now wondering what lighting I should get for a tank this long. I currently have soft corals and a couple euphyllia. Soft corals grow great but the euphyllia seem to struggle. I would like to get some other LPS but i’m not sure my light could handle them. I also have some BTA's that do very well. My only limitation is price. Any lighting suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

1ECA8468-7BFA-4D4D-B332-5423DB8832A9.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon long reef tank that's about 1.5 years old. This is my first reef tank so it's a learning process(so far so good). My tank dimensions are 48×13×19 with a rim on top.
The rim goes through the very middle of the tank. Due to this, I decided to choose the easy route with lighting, buying a light bar that was rated pretty well. I am currently using a CurrentUSA Orbit Marine 4227 light bar. I am now wondering what lighting I should get for a tank this long. I currently have soft corals and a couple euphyllia. Soft corals grow great but the euphyllia seem to struggle. I would like to get some other LPS but i’m not sure my light could handle them. I also have some BTA's that do very well. My only limitation is price. Any lighting suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Measure PAR in the tank first. That will tell you a lot.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're only trying to keep LPS/softies you could double up on the CurrentUSA fixtures but otherwise you could look into upgrading for better par and spectrum with something like 2 ReeFi Uno Pro 2.0s.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure PAR in the tank first. That will tell you a lot.
other approach. Can change position, and par in different areas of the tank . even one side different. and top to bottom back to front. they are wifi, and app easy to use. Can use preset which I found not enough PAR, so used manual timer, and set different
20220302_140846ugly 2.jpg
times. They are off at night. Mine are Aquanest, lots of others available

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say rent a par meter if you can to find out par , then once you have established the correct par for the corals you’re trying to keep , set your lights and forget it that way the corals will adjust to your schedule

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I recommend supplementing this light with addition of one, even two Orphek OR3-120 light bars. If one- the sky blue. If two. . . one sky blue and one Blue plus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back