Tank near window - combat/prevent algae?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that fish tanks shouldn’t be by windows.. This is where our new tank is going, do you think we’ll have issues?

If so any tips to combat/prevent it? Would it be better or worse to have more rock & coral on that side?

IMG_1382.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and the cat will go fishing

But...... you can make it work. Get some UV tint on the windows and decent shades to keep direct sunlight off the tank. Mesh lid for the cat.
We have a glass lid for the tank, but didn’t realize it’ll be a problem with the overflow box so we’ll be looking into that. Luckily the windows aren’t that bright but we’ll look into the tint too.

Is there anything we can do in the tank to minimize. Or fish that can help too?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which side of the house is that? North side hopefully as that will be indirect light and not to bad. South side would be the worst.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a glass lid for the tank, but didn’t realize it’ll be a problem with the overflow box so we’ll be looking into that. Luckily the windows aren’t that bright but we’ll look into the tint too.

Is there anything we can do in the tank to minimize. Or fish that can help too?
I'd get a mesh lid from Clearview lids or kraken instead of a glass lid.

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion a bit of sunlight does the tank good, you’ll only really notice more film alage on the glass. Remember you are putting lights that imitate the sun over it anyways

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion a bit of sunlight does the tank good, you’ll only really notice more film alage on the glass. Remember you are putting lights that imitate the sun over it anyways
Are you talking about indirect light coming in versus direct sunlight on the tank?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on time of year and which direction the windows face, might not be an issue. Keep your water clean, and up with water changes; that should help.

Used to have a tank directly in front of an east facing window. Loved the sunlight beaming into the reef in the morning, rays dancing around the coral and fish like even metal halides cannot do. Yes, there was some algae, but probably more related to my feeding regimen and uncommon water changes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I read that fish tanks shouldn’t be by windows.. This is where our new tank is going, do you think we’ll have issues?

If so any tips to combat/prevent it? Would it be better or worse to have more rock & coral on that side?

IMG_1382.jpeg
the power of UV from sun will penetrate shades-blinds -curtains and cause algae issue and during summer months may even increase tank temperature. I often recommend placing black construction on the side of tank that faces the window to block the rays and reduce chance of excessive algae growth.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the power of UV from sun will penetrate shades-blinds -curtains and cause algae issue and during summer months may even increase tank temperature. I often recommend placing black construction on the side of tank that faces the window to block the rays and reduce chance of excessive algae growth.
Do you mean IR? Cause UV gets filtered out by glass and curtains just fine...

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curtains but honestly my tanks are near windows and the sun rises on the side of the house my tank is on and it’s never been an issue. Natural sunlight is good for our tanks.
The window mostly gets sunset and they’re odd windows, so never too bright but still next to it. Good to know it’s not crazy.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think fans that keep the tank normal can combat / prevent the extra algae?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on time of year and which direction the windows face, might not be an issue. Keep your water clean, and up with water changes; that should help.

Used to have a tank directly in front of an east facing window. Loved the sunlight beaming into the reef in the morning, rays dancing around the coral and fish like even metal halides cannot do. Yes, there was some algae, but probably more related to my feeding regimen and uncommon water changes.
I could picture the brightness in the light! I’m glad to hear it’s not crazy, when I read it I thought we’d be having a nightmare.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think researching just makes me paranoid. Sounds like nothing a little extra cleaning can’t cure. Which isn’t bad.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think researching just makes me paranoid. Sounds like nothing a little extra cleaning can’t cure. Which isn’t bad.
It should be fine. And yes you can get fish to eat algae. So if it is a problem fish and inverts that like algae will be your friend. Until recently my tank caught the sum every morning and it wasn't any different really. I bought black out curtains and keep them closed now unless I feel like opening them. There hasn't been really less algae but the room is darker and feels more cave like!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back