Tank Not Cyling? Help Please

Hawaireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been having some trouble with my tank cycling. When I first set up the tank, It wouldn't cycle for 5 months. I eventually gave up, and added a few fish to see what would happen, and they didn't die. It's now been over two years. Some of the fish I have added have died, but most seem to be living for a long time. Right now there is two in there, and they seem perfectly fine, as well as a bunch of crabs and a shrimp. However, I've been testing, and there is still ammonia to this day. I tested the RODI water that I make myself, and it has ammonia, even after I replaced the filter and flushed it out, which I thought was impossible. However, when I tested another source, it said no ammonia, so the kit is working. I've been adding prime to make it non toxic(or at least it claims to). However, I decided not to change the water for a few weeks, to see if the filter would convert it to nitrites and nitrates, but there are no visible nitrates. I tested my water again and the ammonia is high still about 2 PPM. I thought that if it was cycling, even if the RODI water had ammonia, the filter would have converted at least some of it by now, but there is no sign of that. I don't understand why I could go two and a half years without cycling, or why I can have ammonia in my tank but the fish are fine, but I don't want to risk hurting my fish, so if anyone knows why I would appreciate it.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 ppm is probably total amonia. Wich means that free (the bad) amonia is very low to almost nothing. Your tank is definitely cycled.

Do you have carbon blocks in your rodi?
When was the last time they were changed?
Does your water utility use chloramine? The amines may show as amonia.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 ppm is probably total amonia. Wich means that free (the bad) amonia is very low to almost nothing. Your tank is definitely cycled.

Do you have carbon blocks in your rodi?
When was the last time they were changed?
Does your water utility use chloramine? The amines may show as amonia.
This is incorrect. A total ammonia of 2 ppm (if correct) - and depending on Temp pH and salinity is not normal. My guess is that 2 ppm is not correct

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I've been having some trouble with my tank cycling. When I first set up the tank, It wouldn't cycle for 5 months. I eventually gave up, and added a few fish to see what would happen, and they didn't die. It's now been over two years. Some of the fish I have added have died, but most seem to be living for a long time. Right now there is two in there, and they seem perfectly fine, as well as a bunch of crabs and a shrimp. However, I've been testing, and there is still ammonia to this day. I tested the RODI water that I make myself, and it has ammonia, even after I replaced the filter and flushed it out, which I thought was impossible. However, when I tested another source, it said no ammonia, so the kit is working. I've been adding prime to make it non toxic(or at least it claims to). However, I decided not to change the water for a few weeks, to see if the filter would convert it to nitrites and nitrates, but there are no visible nitrates. I tested my water again and the ammonia is high still about 2 PPM. I thought that if it was cycling, even if the RODI water had ammonia, the filter would have converted at least some of it by now, but there is no sign of that. I don't understand why I could go two and a half years without cycling, or why I can have ammonia in my tank but the fish are fine, but I don't want to risk hurting my fish, so if anyone knows why I would appreciate it.
OK - so one issue - if your tank has high ammonia (let's assume it does) - if you add prime - the ammonia level will remain high. The test will not change - unless you measure free ammonia. My guess is @brandon429 will (correctly) say that after 5 months to 2 years - with living fish - your tank is cycled. My suggestion is - 1) your testing methods are in error, 2) Your Rodi has an issue. 3) Why are you testing ammonia?

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above...tank is cycled.

I see that you've tested different water...but have you tried a different kit? or have a local fish store test? Maybe an ICP test?

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a bad batch of API amonia tests kits reading 1-2 PPM all the time...
Another explanation would be dosing of household ammonia with antibacterial "surfactant" in it, that could stall cycling for a very long time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fascinating to think here how the owner of the tank could have reef enjoyment by not ever testing for ammonia and by applying fallow and quarantine. Merely those two changeups would change the trajectory of tank ownership for thousands and thousands of reefers.

The first fifteen straight sentences at the start are the exact summary of the definition between old cycling science and new.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never posted bc I was watching for the op to engage with the offers already in place/ agreed. When folks post alert threads and we never hear back from them again like the bstone thread I'm never sure it was a real event.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back