Tank Overheating

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AC broke for the house and now the temperature in my tank is 88 and all my SPS is bleaching. What is the best way i can lower the temperature?

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gallon jug filled with water and frozen , then float in tank. anything cold, bags of ice fans pointed at the water.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like a good idea but im worried about the ice changing the temp too fast since its such a small tank

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok lights are off i have a bag of ice floating right now and about 6 bottles are in the freezer, i am wondering are my zoa's going to be ok until i get this temperature down?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88 is deadly for sure. I would add as much as as possible in bags or bottles. It will not drop the temp too fast. If it drops it over a period of 15-20 minutes, thats not too fast. The 88 degree water temp will melt the ice pretty fast so make sure you freeze as much ice as you can in advance.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried frozen gallon jugs of water in an attempt to cool a tank and it was pointless. My tank is much larger than the one in discussion, but using frozen water in jugs isn't a practical long term solution. Until you get your AC fixed using fans will be the most efficient means of cooling the tank.

If you can get your AC fixed in the next few days then I would also suggest simply leaving your lights off. A few days with the lights off will not harm the corals and will actually be very beneficial to the corals that have already bleached. Since they're bleached, they are far more prone to being burned from the lighting as they don't have the zoox to provide that bit of sunscreen. Exposing bleached corals to normal lighting is like taking an eskimo to Miami and not giving him sunscreen. At the very least I'd shade the lighting a bit to prevent any burning.

Best of luck!!

Jeremy

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now im using ice packs in weighted bags this is working veery well i have already dropped 3 degrees, as for the SPS i had 3 frags one died in last night the other two are bleached, my chalice is looking very weird and all my LPS are closed up, i am hoping this will kill the cyano that i have right now

Last edited:

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
direct a fan right at the water and turn off lites keep an i on evap because it will be conssiderably more with the fans pointed at it.RJ

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the fan blowing across the surface works best. Also as said the water will evaporate alot faster.
I always blow fans across my tanks in the summer. It works well for any size tank.

kass

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blowing the fan across the water is a good way to MAINTAIN the lower temp but to get it down you are doing the right thing by floating the ice. Good luck with it.

Back