OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for the speedy feedback that probably saved the majority of my corals from cooking in my tank. so far the death toll is one frag of pink millie but nothing else, temperature is got to around 93 in the house but ac will be fixed today, does anyone have a used chiller they would part with?

mikedelgado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my chiller. I have this connected to an aquacontroller to blow across the top of the water if temp is over 78. Its very powerful and effective. I have a 215 gallon tank and run 400w halides. I can hide it in my canopy though. It should also work under the cabinet blowing on the sump if you have room. the fan is really small compared to how much punch it has

Amazon.com: Stanley #655702 High Velocity Blower: Home & Garden

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the window AC unit idea was to cool the room, not the tank, which will cool the tank in the long run. I always run an oversized chiller for two reasons. One is that it keeps my tank temperature more stable. With fans, my tank varied about 5 degrees per day. My chiller never lets it get above 78, or below 76. Much more stable. The other is that twice over the 6 years I have been doing this, my AC has broken. The last time was only two weeks ago. An oversized chiller has been able to keep my tank at 80 degrees, when the temperature in the room is 98. The chiller works very hard in this situation, but both times saved my tank. I would rather have a high power bill, than a tank full of dead stuff.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice sounds good in theory but really does not work that well. A clip on fan blowing across the length of the surface will work better and very fast. Be prepared for massive evaporation though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here is my chiller. I have this connected to an aquacontroller to blow across the top of the water if temp is over 78. Its very powerful and effective. I have a 215 gallon tank and run 400w halides. I can hide it in my canopy though. It should also work under the cabinet blowing on the sump if you have room. the fan is really small compared to how much punch it has

Amazon.com: Stanley #655702 High Velocity Blower: Home & Garden

I use the exact same unit! LOL!

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heater malfunction (thermostat)during the winter in a 28g euro zoa tank temp was off the wall.......killed every shroom in the tank melted......... zoa's were fine. I would not worry about the zoa's. I did not loose a single zoa colony or hermits, lost one snail. It had been hot a long time possibly all day when I came home from work. I did the frozen bottle and did a water change trying to cool it down. The water I took out of the tank stayed at over 88 degrees for 3 hours in a bucket. I was amazed anything lived. Did not kill the 3 fish either...............

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1 HP chiller for sale if you think that will help you any. I'm in Huntsville, AL.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heater malfunction (thermostat)during the winter in a 28g euro zoa tank temp was off the wall.......killed every shroom in the tank melted......... zoa's were fine. I would not worry about the zoa's. I did not loose a single zoa colony or hermits, lost one snail. It had been hot a long time possibly all day when I came home from work. I did the frozen bottle and did a water change trying to cool it down. The water I took out of the tank stayed at over 88 degrees for 3 hours in a bucket. I was amazed anything lived. Did not kill the 3 fish either...............

my mushrooms actually looked horrible but fared very well, on the other hand my hammer has been closed up for the last three days.....not looking so good some of the zoa's are looking strange but i think they are going to be ok

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back