Tank overheating

StacyW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last five days, my tank has been overheating according to a inkbird 306T. The inkbird and two heaters were new and were holding a constant heat previously. Firstly, it was noticed that the temperature had risen from 25.2 to 26.4 so the heaters were switched off to remove them from the equation. The temperature remained stable at 26.4. In the mean-time, the temperature has again risen to 27.2.

Up to now, the UV & its pump have been switched off just to remove them from the equation too. This leaves only the return pump, a Jeabo in the sump and a Tunze 6040 running in tank, both devices appear to be functioning correctly.

The LED lighting appears to have no effect on the tank temperature.

What can be making the tank heat up?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
double check the location of the inkbird probe.

it may be too close to a heat generating piece of equipment. - or in my case of a what the ... , not in the tank ;Facepalm

OP
OP
S

StacyW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probe was the first thing to be checked, it is secured by the dubious sucker and is located away from the return pump.

Roshisatoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider the temperature in the room.. has this changed recently? What is your ambient air temp?

OP
OP
S

StacyW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your tank temp with a calibrated or trusted thermometer. The inkbird may have drifted from calibration.
The temperture is virtually correct as it was checked by a fluke ir thermometer.

OP
OP
S

StacyW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you shot the return pump with the IR?
Hello, after aiming the gun directly at the water above the return pump, that gives a 1 degree rise in temp so this might be the culprit! The sump seems to be one degree higher than the DT.

There is a spare return pump here which can be fitted, which i believe to be the next move. Also, i have turned of the protein skimmer, just in case.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, after aiming the gun directly at the water above the return pump, that gives a 1 degree rise in temp so this might be the culprit! The sump seems to be one degree higher than the DT.

There is a spare return pump here which can be fitted, which i believe to be the next move. Also, i have turned of the protein skimmer, just in case.

Sounds like you may have found the issue.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using the Inkbird temp controllers because they kept losing calibration. After they were 4-5 months old I would notice the temp would keep creeping up and I would recalibrate but kept having to adjust the offset to get them to read right. Ultimately reaching the limit of the adjustment. I switched to the Bayite controller and have not had an issue since. I check it for accuracy once a month and so far in the past 8 months I have not had to recalibrate it yet. The Inkbird controllers I was having to recalibrate every two weeks.

bayite Temperature Controller BTC201

The Bayite also is accurate to 2/10 of a degree F. So if you want it to cut power to the heater at 77.2, it will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StacyW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using the Inkbird temp controllers because they kept losing calibration. After they were 4-5 months old I would notice the temp would keep creeping up and I would recalibrate but kept having to adjust the offset to get them to read right. Ultimately reaching the limit of the adjustment. I switched to the Bayite controller and have not had an issue since. I check it for accuracy once a month and so far in the past 8 months I have not had to recalibrate it yet. The Inkbird controllers I was having to recalibrate every two weeks.

bayite Temperature Controller BTC201

The Bayite also is accurate to 2/10 of a degree F. So if you want it to cut power to the heater at 77.2, it will.
Unfortunately, this controller is not available in the UK but, thanks.

For the last day, the temperature has slowly dropped to 26.6.............

For now, untill a new pump is bought, this temperature is acceptable. However, I still can not understand where the extra heat is coming from in the sump.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back