Tank reseal Input on bubble

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if anyone could give there input that would be amazing!
I just resealed a used tank that I got and was wondering if I should be worrying about these two tiny bubbles ?
It’s a 80 gallon lagoon.
I’m really hoping you all say not to worry .

IMG_8277.jpeg IMG_8276.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt since its in the interior corner seal if it was between the glass panes then yes most likely would be an issue. this could flake off when scrubbing the tank.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What thickness did you do inbetween the panes where they but up i dont see any black silicone inbetween there or what kind of reseal did you do?

OP
OP
B

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What thickness did you do inbetween the panes where they but up i dont see any black silicone inbetween there or what kind of reseal did you do?
Hey thanks for the reply, it’s just shy of half an inch on each side. It was originally sealed with black silicone before I bought it.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the reply, it’s just shy of half an inch on each side. It was originally sealed with black silicone before I bought it.
So is the silicone clear inbetween the 2 where they meet in the corner? Normally there is silicone that needs to be inbetween that section. As long as there is no bubbles inbetween there you should be good

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you resealed the tank, did you make sure to completely disassemble the entire tank and remove all of the original silicone?

OP
OP
B

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you resealed the tank, did you make sure to completely disassemble the entire tank and remove all of the original silicone?
What do you mean disassemble? Like remove the silicone that is between the glass? No, I just removed the silicone on the edge. But I did clean it well, after using a razor blade to remove the silicone with some acetone. I was real thorough.

OP
OP
B

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the silicone clear inbetween the 2 where they meet in the corner? Normally there is silicone that needs to be inbetween that section. As long as there is no bubbles inbetween there you should be good
I think it’s more so just that the pane of glass was sealed so close together before of the bottom “rim”, that it’s an extremely thin layer. Just my speculation. But on the outside of the tank you can see the original black silicone still on the corner, so it’s definitely black

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you mean disassemble? Like remove the silicone that is between the glass? No, I just removed the silicone on the edge. But I did clean it well, after using a razor blade to remove the silicone with some acetone. I was real thorough.
To reseal a tank correctly you have to completely take the entire tank apart, remove ALL of the old silicone from the glass panes and redo ALL of the seals as you put it back together. If you don't, you are asking for a leak.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

^ Have a read through that thread.

OP
OP
B

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^ Have a read through that thread.
Yea I see what you’re saying, I just feel like the tank size plays a huge role in this post. It was even mentioned that for a 300 gallon tank you can’t just reseal the corners.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New silicone does not adhere to old silicone which is why it ALL must be removed before resealing a tank. The tank size doesn't matter in regards to that.

Back