Tank setup

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I run my lights while the tank is cycling to get everything on a schedule? Does it make a difference in the long run matinance of 5he tank?

Hi Dave!

You can cycle with your lights off. But if you want to get everything up and running during the cycle, that is okay too.

The best tip I can offer is to go slow. Often you will hear people say that "nothing good happens quickly in this hobby". I think patience is one of the most important tools you can have in this hobby. I'd say that more than half of the "emergencies" I see here are due to hobbyists trying to accelerate the process.

ALWAYS quarantine before adding new specimens to your display tank. It is always worth the wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Volitilmunchkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very understood. Only beneficial thing that is helping speed the process is that most of the rock an all the sand came out of a well established tank because he was getting out of the hobby due to work an a big move ahead. I figure bout 6-8 weeks or so then start with a couple fish. See how that goes.

OP
OP
V

Volitilmunchkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been running for about a week now an things are looking good. Got new ap700 up over tank and h80 over refugium. Now just waiting on refugium starter pack from algea barn so hopefully in 6-8 weeks I can start adding fish.

0908190900_HDR.jpg 0908190859a_HDR.jpg 0908190859_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
V

Volitilmunchkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be good starter fish to add first? I would like a couple fire fish or golby e.g. sorts just wondering if I should add them first since they say they are so timid or do I add my loans or cromises first to cycle things properly first?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 85 42.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 48.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back