Tank size for Ritteri

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We may be moving and I am looking at breaking down my 75. I plan on keeping a few things in a small tank in my office until we get settled and I can set up again. One of the things I really want to keep is my ritteri. How big of a tank would I need to get to keep it?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer depends a lot on your experience and your pucker factor. It also depends on what you plan on feeding it and what else you plan to put in with it and how big it currently is.

If you can answer those I can help make a "smart" recommendation, as I'm not a fan of just a generic rule of thumb.

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that.

I plan on keeping a pair of clowns and a small handful of corals...i am willing to reduce the coral load if I need to. I have a BTA i would like to keep, 3 photosynthetic gorgonians, a small rock nem and a couple of torches.

I will feed it whatever I need to. Right now it gets whatever mysis it catches when I feed the fish and an occasional piece of silverside.

It is about 8" across when open

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend a BTA and a Rit in the same small tank. I would probably not put the Rock Nem in with it either, but you might get away with it in a wider tank. I would honestly say you can probably get away with something like a 40 cube or a 40 breeder with some corals. For reference I have one in a 28 cube with 2 clowns and some Zoas, but I wouldn't recommend it with a tank that is not specifically for the Nem. Whatever you do though if you put it in a small tank, do not feed it as I feel the bio load they create is too large. You really have to place powerheads smartly and ensure you set him on a rock he's not likely to move from and can not touch anything around him. Goes without saying, but you'll need adequate lighting to keep him happy.

Make sure you run carbon.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to see people who have been successful with this kind of Nem get rid of them, as they are my favorite by far of all the nems. That said I think in your situation if you've no choice but to break down to a smaller tank I feel it is best for the health of the animal itself to move on and come back to it. I'm glad you're able to see it for what it is and aren't looking at stuffing it in something you don't feel 100% confident you can keep it in. This says a lot about you as a person, and I just want to pass along as a random internet stranger, that I respect that.

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your kind words. It is also my favorite nem as well so its hard to part with it but someone else will get to enjoy it and Ill find another one later. My clowns may never forgive me though:)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back