Tank size: how big is enough?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small aquariums are simple to maintain and are very nice that way.
Larger aquariums allow for more choices in fishes and corals.
Huge tanks are great if you have a maintenance contractor to do all the heavy lifting, but that's where a lot of folks end up.

Satisfaction really depends on the person knowing what makes them happy and what they are willing to do to get it, or not. Its a fine thing to be happy with what you have. Having needs will never be really happy, ime.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a harder time maintaining larger aquariums and don't have the space to properly set up a larger aquarium currently.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the best of both worlds and like them for their own reasons. My nano tank is my reef and my bigger tank is my pufferfish tank. Smaller tanks definitely are less maintenance and cheaper to maintain but larger tanks give you more variety and options.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had smaller tanks I had 8+. then they got bigger and fewer in number. I would rather maintain one big tank than 4 small ones, and let's face it, when I had 8 maintenance didn't get done.

On the other hand, I can have more focus on some cool things with smaller tanks.

my official vote: smaller tanks if you want a specific focus e.g. highlight one fish or coral.
Big tank if you want diversity, ease of maintenance, less clutter.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your life needs. I started med with 55. Lowered to smaller tank. Moved into new home and went big. Bigger is always better but ability to take care of it trumps all.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d argue that bigger tanks are actually less maintenance. I went from a 54 corner to 29 biocube to my current 210. The 210 takes a little longer to scrape the glass but everything else is about the same. The system stays way more stable and don’t have to worry about parameters near as much. Water changes could be the big difference but when you go big just make sure to pump all the water instead of using buckets. Technically much easier but costs a little more. Bigger is better for the choices of fish smaller is better if you want the tank to look full fast.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a person really need a large aquarium to feel content or can a nano tank bring enough contentment as much as a larger tank? What are your opinions?
I guess it depends on what you want to keep and how much room you have. Funds to donate matter as well. The bigger the tank the more coral it takes to make it look not empty. I like bigger tanks but I like bigger fish and room for coral. Some people keep tiny tanks. @brandon429 keeps little pico tanks and seems to enjoy them.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a 50 cube and a 120. I would like to eventually put everything in a 210 or 220. Maintenance on one bigger tank in my opinion would be way less than on 2 smaller tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does a person really need a large aquarium to feel content or can a nano tank bring enough contentment as much as a larger tank? What are your opinions?
Its a matter of preference, space in your dwelling, stocking desires and budget.
Large tanks and small tanks suit both the novice and experienced and again if you like myself desire a large capacity of fish and coral and enjoy wide viewing and have the room - its for you.
Similar applies to preference for glass versus acrylic. Many have a preference and budget and a plan for what goes into the given tank

1694214713109.png

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot depends on what Fish you want to keep also.
My current tank just was not big enough to house large Tangs, so moving to a bigger tank made sense to me.

The wife on the other hand....
I’ve only had nano tanks so far and reading this post made me realize that I am intimated by the thought of handling much larger and stronger fish

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 50 cube and a 120. I would like to eventually put everything in a 210 or 220. Maintenance on one bigger tank in my opinion would be way less than on 2 smaller tanks.
But in my ten gallon tank I only have to change one gallon of water each week. If I had a 200 gallon tank, I would have to change 20 gallons of water in a bucket. For me a larger tank is more work carrying all those buckets of water to the bathroom toilet.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience teaches us all different lessons. I took people's advice and went big the first time around. The word was it is cheaper in the long run just to get the bigger tank first. Most of these folks started small and the itch took them to bigger tanks. They are not wrong on the costs, but to me the experience mattered the most in the end. I hated the big tank as my health made it hard to keep up with as I was battling the learning curve of being a new reefer. Half a year later and the tank was converted to Freshwater. I still had the urge so about a year ago I picked up a nano tank loved it. The ease of running it was great and I found a lot of success fast with the tank. That success I was able to mirror now as I have converted the large tank back to a reef. Long run it cost me a bit more, but the learning was worth it. If life's circumstances change, I know I could stick with just my nano tank and be content. Let's also be honest, if money is a huge concern, you're in the wrong hobby lol.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in my ten gallon tank I only have to change one gallon of water each week. If I had a 200 gallon tank, I would have to change 20 gallons of water in a bucket. For me a larger tank is more work carrying all those buckets of water to the bathroom toilet.
Large tank owners take water changes into consideration, like the ease of doing them, sump in basement hopefully with a drain in the floor, automated water change systems or no water changes at all, just advanced filtration and dosing.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally can most certainly be content with a nano tank. The only reason why alot of us go big is because we like to do more and go beyond our own expectations in the hobby. Plus, there are many things we want in a reef tank and need the space to make it possible imo.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the bigger tank is easier then the small one if planed out.. small tank I am lugging 5 gal buckets.. Big tank, I planned it out so everything was a pump and a hose away. Swings arnt as drastic, more surface area so pH for me wasnt much of an issue.

Tank history over the last 20 years or so with breaks. They all have their pluses and minus.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big or go home. Get as big as you can. Get all the gear ONCE. You don't have to fill it up right away. Heck you dont even have to buy everything at once. Just dont waste the money buying 3 sets of things. You just have to properly manage the bioload and as you increase the load take measures to respond accordingly. Water changes dont need to be done with buckets and can easily be automated so you never have to lift one, doesn't matter if the tank is 10 or 1000g. Go as big as you space allows.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back