Tank sizes for tangs: Help us create a list!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd revive this thread. Thoughts on a squaretail bristletooth and a yellow tang together in a 90 gallon? The squaretail has been there for about a month and is sitting at just under 2 inches tip of snout to end of tail, so ~1.5 inches standard length. The yellow, if I do add it, would be about 3 inches standard length. I do have plans to upgrade, but that likely won't happen for at least 5 years, so for all intents and purposes let's pretend that the 90 would be their forever tank.
That's a tough one. There is a chance it will work out, but it's a gamble long term. I've seen 3 different yellow tangs ho postal in a 90 gallon. I would pick one, and those truncated tangs are an underused favorite of mine

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one. There is a chance it will work out, but it's a gamble long term. I've seen 3 different yellow tangs ho postal in a 90 gallon. I would pick one, and those truncated tangs are an underused favorite of mine
That's interesting to know. The first page on this thread still lists a 80gal as the minimum for a yellow tang, and since they're both somewhat small I figured it'd work out. I do like my squaretail, though: he follows my lubbock's fairy wrasse around like a lost puppy. I could always trap the yellow and rehome it if it grew up into a jerk, or do you think it'd get overly aggressive immediately?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting to know. The first page on this thread still lists a 80gal as the minimum for a yellow tang, and since they're both somewhat small I figured it'd work out.
I think the standard 90 (4×1.5×2) is arguably a reasonable minimum tank size for a yellow. The bigger problem is putting another tang (or butterfly or other laterally compressed fish) with it. I would choose one, but it may work out in your favor.

I could always trap the yellow and rehome it if it grew up into a jerk, or do you think it'd get overly aggressive immediately?

Yep, you can trap tangs if it gets bad. It won't happen immediately. You'll notice if the posturing turns to damaging tail whipping.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the standard 90 (4×1.5×2) is arguably a reasonable minimum tank size for a yellow. The bigger problem is putting another tang (or butterfly or other laterally compressed fish) with it. I would choose one, but it may work out in your favor.

Yep, you can trap tangs if it gets bad. It won't happen immediately. You'll notice if the posturing turns to damaging tail whipping.
Gotcha. What about a foxface or one-spot rabbitfish with the bristletooth? I didn't find anything about aggression between the two, and they gets about the same size as the yellow tang and has that nice yellow that I'm looking for.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd revive this thread. Thoughts on a squaretail bristletooth and a yellow tang together in a 90 gallon? The squaretail has been there for about a month and is sitting at just under 2 inches tip of snout to end of tail, so ~1.5 inches standard length. The yellow, if I do add it, would be about 3 inches standard length. I do have plans to upgrade, but that likely won't happen for at least 5 years, so for all intents and purposes let's pretend that the 90 would be their forever tank.
In my 90 gallon, my bristletooth tang was peaceful, shy even, until I added a one spot foxface. Rabbitfish are tangs too, and my bristletooth got VERY territorial. He's calmed down a bit but harasses my gobies and likes to pick on my sixline.
Just my 2 cents and experience. Maybe you can catch your current tang and put it in time out, then add it and the yellow to the display at the same time...?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. What about a foxface or one-spot rabbitfish with the bristletooth?
Foxfaces are great fish. And even though they get bigger than yellow tangs, they aren't as active or aggressive, so I think they are a better choice. Since the bristletooth is small, I think you'd be okay. They do get a little big, but it's up to you.

I always recommend just one tang for 90s/75s. Some people always disagree. Good luck with your choice.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces are great fish. And even though they get bigger than yellow tangs, they aren't as active or aggressive, so I think they are a better choice. Since the bristletooth is small, I think you'd be okay. They do get a little big, but it's up to you.

I always recommend just one tang for 90s/75s. Some people always disagree. Good luck with your choice.
I'm going to see if my LFS can get in a one-spot rabbitfish. If not, I think I'll just get a canary wrasse for the colour and wait til I get a larger tank for the yellow tang.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's put our heads together and come up with a good general rule of thumb for tanks sizes for specific tangs in gallons and in feet.

Here is a list of tangs: (please let me know if I missed any)

FISH - Minimum Gallons - Minimum Tank Size in Feet
Achilles Surgeonfish - 180g - 6 ft
Atlantic Blue Tang - 180g - 6ft
Black Tang - 80g - 4ft
Blochii Tang
Blueline Tang
Bluespine Unicornfish - 400g - 6ft
Bristletooth Tang - 80g - 4ft
Brown Tang - 125g - 5ft
Chevron Tang- 80g - 4ft
Clown Surgeonfish - 180g - 6ft
Convict Surgeonfish- 125g - 5ft
Gem Tang
Indian Mimic Surgeonfish -
Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang- 180g - 6ft
Kole's Tang - 80g - 4ft
Lavender Tang
Mimic Surgeonfish
Naso Tang - 200g - 6ft
Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish - 180g - 6ft
Pacific Blue, Regal or Hippo Tang - 180g - 6ft
Powder Brown Tang - 125g - 5ft
Powder Blue Tang - 125g - 5ft
Purple Tang - 80g - 4ft
Sailfin Tang - 180g - 6ft
Sohal Surgeonfish - 200g - 6ft
Spotted Unicornfish- 400g - 6ft
Tomini Tang - 80g - 4ft
Vlamingi Tang - 300g - 6ft
Whitecheek Surgeonfish - 125g - 5ft
Yellow Tang - 80g - 4ft
What about shallow tanks?
I'm about to buy a waterbox frag 145.5.
  • 98.4G
  • 5 ft long
  • 16.1" deep
  • 25.3" wide
Does it count as any 5ft tank?
It's more shallow, but it's wider than the standard 125G tank.
I'm really trying to resist getting a Desjardini.
Unfortunately, my floor can't take a larger tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about shallow tanks?
I'm about to buy a waterbox frag 145.5.
  • 98.4G
  • 5 ft long
  • 16.1" deep
  • 25.3" wide
Which tangs are you looking at? Every Ctenochaetus, except maybe chevron, and every Zebrasoma except the 2 sailfins would work. There are arguably a couple Acanthurus that would work, but most wouldn't be a good choice.
I'm really trying to resist getting a Desjardini.
Yeah, don't do that. My suggestion for that one would be an 8 foot tank, and they get really tall.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tangs are you looking at? Every Ctenochaetus, except maybe chevron, and every Zebrasoma except the 2 sailfins would work. There are arguably a couple Acanthurus that would work, but most wouldn't be a good choice.

Yeah, don't do that. My suggestion for that one would be an 8 foot tank, and they get really tall.
I'm thinking
  • Purple
  • Convinct
  • Tomini / White Tail Bristletooth
But I'm open to suggestions, especially since I'd like one that loves eating algae.
My main reason for getting a tomini would be peacefulness/small maximum size/ loves eating algae and even detritus.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking
  • Purple
  • Convinct
  • Tomini / White Tail Bristletooth
But I'm open to suggestions, especially since I'd like one that loves eating algae.
My main reason for getting a tomini would be peacefulness/small maximum size/ loves eating algae and even detritus.
Those are all good choices.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start this out. Also include a picture if you will.

Achilles Surgeonfish
min: 180 gallons
min: 6 foot tank

acanthurus-achilles.jpg

Also require higher flow

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine Some of the smaller tangs would be ok in a 75 gal 4’ tank as a min . This adds to questioning tank size compared to qt

some people believe qt is a must but their qt is a lot smaller .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acanthurus mata​

max size 19.7” but unlikely to see it grow that large in captivity .

What would be the suggested tank size ?

Back